So, Devestator Centurions, then.

Montuhotep

I don't know you math Azash (to get 20 chances) but I must agree that Grav-Cannon with Grav-amp really rocks.

If you have the minimal unit: 3x Grav-Weapons you will roll on average 3x 6's. If you can twin-link them (looking at you Tigurius) that even gives you 4x 6's and more certainty to get at least 3 hits connecting.

As for now the Graviton damage can not be cover saved because it is no penetration roll but looking at these numbers you might expect it to be also savable by cover.

I want to try them with also ML's as I think this will give them the needed range and a flexibility. I also want them to have IF chapter tactics and this can really chew HP off vehicles.

A.The Land Raider

The obvious choice, but also expensive and not massively flexible. You will most likely reach what you want to kill with the Centurions in the Land Raider, but after that, then what? You've got three Centurions and a (by now) probably beaten up Land Raider sat in the middle of your enemy's lines. They might survive and go on to wreck face, they might not. It's worth noting that if you do choose to stick them in a Land Raider and drive them up, you will attract a lot of AV fire towards the raider, which can give the rest of your army some breathing space. Alternatively, it might wreck your Land Raider and leave your Centurions stranded. It's a mixed bag. On one side of you have a very tough transport with 3 tough and scary shooty guys inside that can absorb fire power, break lines and cause all sorts of disarray. On the other you have a 500+ point investment in a unit that may fail to get to where it needs to go and not do anything. Or even die.

For 75 pts, you can grab a Techmarine and Servo-Harness to increase the LR's survivability.

It'd work in an LRC, not sure if the Servo makes him Bulky. If it doesn't, that'd work in a bog standard LR with a 3man Dvv Cen squad.

They are a heavy weapon sniper team. I run my squad with lazcannons and missile launchers. Use them to pop transports with the lazcannons, then take out the troopers inside with the missiles. Or use them to pop the harder transports (you'll probably need both weapons depending on the dice gods)

Or run them with graviton guns and missile launchers to pop the elite heavy armour troopers.

Either way, they aren't mobile infantry. They are snipers who actually have good armour.

So my Grav Centurions in a land Raider did really well on saturday. Game 1 they took out a blood thirster and an autocannon havoc squad (poor deployment on my part and loads of terrain meant it took them a while to get going) and the raider took out its chaos counter part.

Game 2 they took out 2 wraith knights with help from my Sternguard. Raider didnt do alot except draw fire for most of the game.

Game 3 they took out another wraithknight, fire dragons and a wave serpant. Raider took out a fire prisim before gettin taken out by war walkers

The raider helped protect them and get them where they needed to go. I think especially in my 2nd game they would have been taken out by the wraithknights first had they not been in the raider) Ended up placing 7th out of 24 which im more than happy with.

I just used a squad of three armed with Grav-Cannons in a squad with Tigurius in a friendly game. My god--I actually feel bad for taking them now. They are really strong and with Tiggy in the mix they are insane. And I didn't even remember to fire my Hurricane Bolters!

I rolled Divination with Tig, and thanks to his nutty re-rolls I got exactly what I wanted; the 4++ power (Forewarning), the ignore cover power (Perfect timing) and of course I took Prescience.

In four consecutive shooting phases they destroyed;

-A Land Raider Crusader

-A 10-man Terminator Squad

-A 10-man Tactical squad

-A Dreadnought

And I took no wounds thanks to their 2+/4++ and high Toughness. These guys are death incarnate to other marines and vehicles. They will certainly be a staple in any list where I intend to kick ass and chew bubblegum, but I think I will leave them at home for friendly games against my MEQ buddies in future...

I just used a squad of three armed with Grav-Cannons in a squad with Tigurius in a friendly game. My god--I actually feel bad for taking them now. They are really strong and with Tiggy in the mix they are insane. And I didn't even remember to fire my Hurricane Bolters!

I rolled Divination with Tig, and thanks to his nutty re-rolls I got exactly what I wanted; the 4++ power (Forewarning), the ignore cover power (Perfect timing) and of course I took Prescience.

In four consecutive shooting phases they destroyed;

-A Land Raider Crusader

-A 10-man Terminator Squad

-A 10-man Tactical squad

-A Dreadnought

And I took no wounds thanks to their 2+/4++ and high Toughness. These guys are death incarnate to other marines and vehicles. They will certainly be a staple in any list where I intend to kick ass and chew bubblegum, but I think I will leave them at home for friendly games against my MEQ buddies in future...

I also always forgot to fire the missiles as did at least 1 other player running them on Saturday. I only got the 4+ cover save in 1 game sadly (fire shield) but it made a big difference.

I now played around with gunline lists based on 3 or 6 centurions. In my experiance 3 is not enough for ne price tag but a 6-man squad with LC and ML (one model for split fire with grav) can wreck havoc on the enemy. They profit immensely from Tigerius if you roll the right powers (i.e. give squad's weapons "ignores cover" because most targets won't have invul saves). It also saves me slots compared to running more deva squads instead of the centurions.

I will continue using 6 of them for now in my 1750pt games and will see how this goes :)

Archived