My very first WH 40k mini (WIP)

Maeve Trinity

That puppet thing...those eyes. Imma scared. eek.gif

As for the model, it's a pretty solid start, but with what appear to be some typical issues. The white seems to have given you some trouble, particularly in the interior side of her robes. Rather than painting it over red (which looks to have been the case in that particular area) always go in and basecoat the area with a gray first. The paint is semi-translucent, so the underlying paint will show through unless you pour it on unpleasantly thick. Gray provides a nice neutral tone for it to go over. And then use thin layers. It's tedious, but necessary with white. That's why so few people use it :teehee:

You have a lot of metal mold tabs left on the model, particularly on the bolter. The little pointy bit poking out of the barrel and the tip of its scope, for instance. They can be hard to catch, because they'll pop up everywhere, but even if you're well along the painting process when you find them it's best to snip them off. Still, ideally you want to catch them prior to basing so you can also file them smooth.

Now I know that all seems a bit overly critical but 1- it's a lot better than my first models (a lot, a whoooole lot) and 2- I only point it out to help, and you obviously don't have to take my advice if you don't want to :)

Of course I also don't know how much of this you already know given your background. A lot of the problems could just be due to inexperience with working on this scale. I'm just working with what I see here.

Ah, also, the basing needs work, but I'm not the best source of info there. I kind of suck at it, actually. :teehee:

Thats for the cc firepower smile.png

Yea, I cant remember if I painted the red down under the white, but i dont think I did..... but I did give the whole thing a black base coat. In the photos you might be seeing a reflection of the red cloth I shot the mini on.... I should probably stuck to shooting my minis on a white background so there is no color distortion. But I see what you mean about problems with shading there.....part of my problem too is I am limited in my color choices right now.... wasn't quite sure what to do about the shadows.

I did notice the little tabs, and tried to file as many as I could off.... but obviously missed some and didnt notice til I'd started painting or wasnt sure if it was supposed to me there lol! Hopefully this issue goes away as I get more familiar with how they make their minis.

But thats the fun.. learning as you go.

And aww.. you didnt like the base? I was quite proud of it! lol What would you do differently?

And omg Kage yes, I didnt even notice I completely missed the detailing on her gauntlet, didnt even see it til I looked at the photos.

On the basing, the problem I have is that to me it very clearly looks like what it actually is, rather than 'real' terrain/debris/growths. But like I said, I kinda suck at it myself, and I can' think of a better way to pull off what you seem to be going for. confused.gif

Nice work! Even tho I'm partial to the Order of the Bloody Rose, always good to see more sisters on the table

And omg Kage yes, I didnt even notice I completely missed the detailing on her gauntlet, didnt even see it til I looked at the photos.

That happens to me all the time. I'll do some work on something, post a pic, and notice several things I missed.

For being your first mini and with a palette of only 5 colours, that's pretty impressive. I might have missed it, but do you use several sizes of brushes? Having a smaller brush when working on the tiny details makes it a bit easier. Other things to say? Experience! It's an obvious thing, but the more you paint the more you'll get to know the models, and know exactly what parts to file off and what parts needs what colours and shading and so on. Slowly expand your palette, fortunately you can get by with only a small amount of colours for Sisters of Battle but the more colours you have to choose from, the more flexibility in your shading/highlighting you can have.

Most of the sister models fight bare-headed, so I would go over a eye painting tutorial if I were you. It can really bring their faces to life, though unfortunately for me I am really crappy at that...but I can hide my models faces in various helmets...

Posted · Hidden by Captain Semper, November 3, 2013 - Off topic
Hidden by Captain Semper, November 3, 2013 - Off topic

Really..? And here I thought BnC was immune to this sort of thing.

Naive me I guess.

BnC?

Bolter n' Chainsword.  That's the one bit I understood :teehee:

Really..? And here I thought BnC was immune to this sort of thing.

Naive me I guess.

BnC?

Bolter n' Chainsword. That's the one bit I understood teehee.gif

yeah the rest confused me

Oh PLEASE.

I think he means to say that he didn't think we'd react this strongly to a female posting in the forums of such a male dominated hobby and being overly active in giving advice and comments...

Well, it's not the reason I did it at least...

I'm currently following this post and think it's wonderful there is another female gamer on the boards.  As to the atte3ntion or non-attention the post is receiving I think its about average.  The fact that its a SOB helps a lot because there has historically been few players for the army (at least since the minds at GW deemed it un-important to update earlier).  I had quite a few comments on my WB wip (back last year before I stopped updating b/c I couldn't paint).  I say woo hoo for both more female gamers and SOB armies!

Ha! Looks like the mini turned out quite well! It's not "perfect" of course, but a very nice job for a first model, and definitely well above average in that sense. For reference if you're interested my first 40k model that I painted in August last year can be seen here, though the color scheme is kinda... lacking in variety tongue.png

By the way, I really like that particular Superior model and thus applaud it as your choice of first mini to paint. I also got one for myself with my first Sisters purchases a while ago. I haven't painted any of my Sisters yet, though.

Oh PLEASE.

I think he means to say that he didn't think we'd react this strongly to a female posting in the forums of such a male dominated hobby and being overly active in giving advice and comments...

Well, it's not the reason I did it at least...

Oh, I see... I understand now.

I hadn't noticed this thread getting any more or less attention than any of the others and I"m still sort of new around here to tell the difference between a popularity of threads.  I just through maybe it was active because I've been interactive/responsive in my posts....... guess I'm wrong.

It is understandable why many female gamers register to places like this as gender neutral in that case.

It's not often we get SoB other then from Max and even then when we do they aren't the best quality.

At the end of the day it's about skill not gender and if you continue to produce good quality and improve your skills you get more attention.

I was a novice and still am but I'm improving and I get a decent amount of views and comments

Ha! Looks like the mini turned out quite well.....

By the way, I really like that particular Superior model and thus applaud it as your choice of first mini to paint. I also got one for myself with my first Sisters purchases a while ago. I haven't painted any of my Sisters yet, though.

Thank you!  Yea, I went through the ones they had available and besides the obvious appeal of Saint Celestine... I didn't want to use her as my first.  The Sister Superior I chose I think really captures the classic sister "look"

I will go check out your thread with your first! Thats always fun! (Edit: oh its just a linked image! derp.  I still think it is super nice!!!! I mean nothing I could complain about..... but I'm not so far in to start critiquing yet.

Thank you!  Yea, I went through the ones they had available and besides the obvious appeal of Saint Celestine... I didn't want to use her as my first.  The Sister Superior I chose I think really captures the classic sister "look"

I actually prefer the Superior to Celestine as a model. I don't know why I've never been a big fan of the Celestine model. Perhaps it's just the paintjob of the one on the GW website? I'll probably try to paint mine closer to traditional Order colors to see if it makes a difference. I also think I'd prefer just a regular jump pack over the "overt" cloak (but at the moment I only have marine jump packs). In any case I'm curious to see what you'll do with yours. Are you planning on painting her next?

I will go check out your thread with your first! Thats always fun! (Edit: oh its just a linked image! derp.  I still think it is super nice!!!! I mean nothing I could complain about..... but I'm not so far in to start critiquing yet.

I do have a thread too here (model pics are spread throughout the thread amidst all sorts of ranting), but I haven't really given it much attention in the past few months.

Archived