Thinking about long range support for Bikers

Tiger9gamer

So I was thinking about my 2,000 pt dream list of bikers and i'm stuck on what I should use for support. i'm pretty stuck, actually. I would be running two squads of two melta bikers and each squad would have melta bombs, but what should I use/ get to open up transports to get to the creamy center were my bikers can really do stuff?

I was thinking about the Mortis Contemptor dread, in fact. There are a few questions, i want answered, like what slot is it in, and is it still BS5?

I know the assault cannons are the best choices for it, but I want something outside of the 24" range i have with the rest of my bikers. The dual lascannon and cyclone launcher build seems like the best bet, but would the autocannon and missile launcher be just as good?

The mortis dread is the same cost, same slot, but bs 4, so its a joke. I ran one for a while and even at bs 5 it was still a big gamble because its a large point sink with a very small threat range. If you want to run a dread with 2 lascannons and a cyclone you can get the same firepower from 2 centurions for over 30 poitns cheaper. For fire support in a bike army I would recommended using siege speeders to hammer away at the enemy while the bikes move up, for 75 points a pop they get work done. Or devastators can work but they usually dont fit in to the fluff of most bike armies.

I thought you couldn't get only two centurions, as they come in squads of 3... 

And by siege speeders do you mean typhoons? those things, for me at least, can't hit a dang thing with the missiles and I had to rely on heavy bolters to glance things to death. 

Now the FW javelin speeders I can get behind, but those are so expensive X-X

I thought about devastators but your right when you say they don't fit in. They are a little too fragile compared to the rest of my army.

What else would you suggest? maybe a predator annihilator? 

The predators are not a good option because if it moves then the firepower output is dropped. My vote would be the deva centurions because they can either be mid-field or long-field (depending on loadout).

They are IMO like obliterators for space marines. They can stand by themselves and dish out the pain.

Remember they have a wargear that can split fire their shots (omniscope) so you can take out two transports (depending on dice rolls).

But it doesn't need to be mobile at all! I can make due with a predator, as they could possibly keep up to enter the battle! Possible why I put thunder fire cannons there too.

But, I do get what your saying with the centurions. Are the lascannon ones that good? What should be the build? Maybe three missile launchers, one lascannon?

Devastating(to me at least). They ended up blowing anything I threw at them away pretty easily. He takes the omniscope and splitfires them when he needs to, and because they get tank hunters as IF Centurions, I can't put any tanks out there without them being reliably blown up. Then, if I don't run tanks, my entire army is slower, and gets shot down easily anyways.

Archived