Newbies Ravenwing WIP.

imustbedreamin

Maybe I should rename the thread world slowest painter as its taking me ages.

I am learning so much from this forum and I appreciate it so I thought I would share my progress.

So I bought 2 battlefore sets.........i have 12 bikes a 2 LS undercoated.

So far I have 6 bikes nearly at this stage (these 3 are the furthest in their progression)

Im sure the next batch will be a lot quicker as I get more comfortable.

These are obviously still wip and the barrels of the bolters will be drilled out but pointers and advice is very much appreciated.

thank you for the positive comments gents.

im going to do a grey pin wash on the front fairing to add shadows and also add some dead grass tufts to the bases but other than that its just tidying up here and there and then to do the riders bodies.

after that i will look at maybe adding some battle damage so everything isnt too "shiny"

another purpose of this thread is to keep me motivated.....i simply couldn't play a game with greys or unfinished models (call it OCD if you will) and I have dark knights and Sammael to do after these two battle forces so I need to keep on it.

I would (to stay motivated) finish up the 6 bikes and move to a speeder and Sam before I went after another 6 bikers...  Too much of the same will burn you out too...

Because, using the math I mentioned above....  That will be 12 tactical marines worth of painting to finish the 6 bikes...   Then to relax you need to do the Rhino (speeder) that goes with them...

that is pretty much what i said to myself.

"do 6 bikes and then you can do a speeder........another 6 then a speeder.........5 dark knights (1000pt army) then Sammael"

by then im hoping im more comfortable with the brush to make a good job on a more complex mini such as Sammael.

the attack bikes wont figure in the 1k list so I dont have to rush to do those.

These are looking very nice! Trust me, you aren't the world's slowest painter, you are already miles ahead of me. I've had a 2nd Edition bike squad prep'd for paint since the very beginning of 3rd Edition, and I still don't even have a base coat on them. I have one of the three RW bikes from Dark Vengeance done. Take your own time to get it exactly how you want it, because none of the rest of us have to play with your miniatures.

Your highlights look very nice, sharp and crisp, but not overpowering so that the black looks grey. Looks like there may be a spot or two to tidy up on the silver, but nothing too bad, but you may want to consider hitting those with a highlight at some point. The white currently looks very nice, even without shading, so don't go overboard with thick white paint to clean up after the shade, keep the smooth color it looks like you have now.

Good luck and have fun painting!

Keep in mind that the more you paint, the faster you get.

More and more you'll get used to the steps for painting a bike and you'll see you unconsciently get a method for painting them. This will make you go faster and not forget parts of the model, particularly when it comes to metal parts.

I had to paint 4500 pts in 6 months in 2009 and follow this guidelines + getting a deadline helped me a lot to get it finished and keep motivation

• 1 month later...

not had much time to do anything let alone paint recently however I have recently aquired a permanent workspace and spent the day cracking on with my first squad of bikes.....i told you i was slow.

still not finished but making good progress and the overall feel of the squad is what i had in mind.

nothing major to see in the pics but they are a bit of an experiment and i'm rather pleased with my sargent so thought i would share smile.png

• 5 weeks later...

thanks for the encouragement brothers. it feels like its taking forever but we are getting there.

i went out today and bought Gw's Thphus Corrosion and Ryza Rust to do some work on my landspeeder bases.

I'm really really impressed with them......especially the ease of use. Im also thinking of using some AK mud weathering powders to use on the bases to add a bit of depth to then. All in all for the £4.80 I've just spent I'm happy.

I'm also going to start on a game board. I like the forge world cityscape but I can't justify £280 on it.....even if it is stunning I would then need to paint it AND buy building.

I have asked my 4 yr old son if he would help me put glue and sand on the board for me and he said he is happy to supervise me on the job whistlingW.gif

I will probably start on that after Christmas so will no doubt be taking some pictures of the mess we make.

Thanks again for the encouragement guys........if you have any tips or ideas please do share thanks.gif

Archived