Chapter Tactics and Forgeworld Characters

W0lfie

Hey All,

I'm curious as to how chapter tactics with forgeworld characters work now; the codex says you must take one of their listed chapter tactics, which sounds fairly unambiguous.  At the same time though, codices never "account" for FW models and rules, rather it is the other way around, with FW tailoring itself to the codex in question.  It seems there are a few possible interpretations:

-They stack: They are different rules, despite having the same intention, and (as an example) Carcharodons would benefit from Tyberos' rule and that of the RG

-One only: They are the same rules despite different wording, meant to represent how one chapter fights.  One applies.

-Rulebook one only: The codex says you pick one of theirs, so you pick one of theirs, case closed.

-None: They are both "chapter tactics", the same rule, and the fw ones require you to replace combat tactics which doesn't seem to be around anymore, so you're out of luck and have no bonuses.

Until we have an faq, which possibility seems the most reasonable and most likely to be an acceptable solution? 

Thanks,

W0lfie

Well, RAW the Forgeworld Characters' Chapter Tactics do nothing, since there's no Combat Tactics to replace. You can't replace a Chainsword with a Powerfist if you don't have a Chainsword.

Still, that's not a very fun way to play it! I doubt many people would have a problem with it if you said "Hey, instead of using one of the Chapter Tactics listed in the Codex, mind if I use the rules listed for Tyberos for my Space Sharks?".

Since I'm not up on Forgeworld, do any of their chapters specify what chapter they are successors of?  If so, that's easy, you use those parent chapter tactics.  if not, then I'm with RTJ and say you just use the FW rule as your Chapter Tactics.  Definitely ask first though.

Since I'm not up on Forgeworld, do any of their chapters specify what chapter they are successors of?  If so, that's easy, you use those parent chapter tactics.  if not, then I'm with RTJ and say you just use the FW rule as your Chapter Tactics.  Definitely ask first though.

A few of them are rumoured to be from certain chapters, but play extremely different than them (i.e. IF and BT kinda thing).

Using the Space Shark example, they are rumoured to be of Raven Guard decent, but fight like khorne berzerkers and really only share the lightning claw fetish, so sneaky fighting would be entirely inappropriate.

I think I'll do just that though; ask if I can use the FW rules, and pick a codex one if I can't.

Until Forgeworld actually update their Space Marine Characters to the format of the new Codex, there can be no RAW answer to this.

As such, unless a Chapter is a clear successor of one of the 1st Foundings (in which case they, arguably, should use the appropriate Chapter Tactics in place of their Combat Tactics), you have a choice:

1 - Get your opponents permission to use their Combat Tactics as Chapter Tactics

2 - Swap their Combat Tactics for a Codex set of Chapter Tactics, again requiring opponents permission.

3 - Make the Character (as close as possible) from the Codex, using appropriate Codex Chapter Tactics.

4 - Put your character on a shelf until Forgeworld releases an update.

4a - Send a great many e-mails to Forgeworld asking them to release an update.  Only stopping if they threaten to sue you for harassment.

Seeing as this is effectively a HR debate, not an OR debate (as there are no ORs for this) there can't be a RAW answer.

Archived