C:SM update for DA

Asmodai Asmodean

The only thing that upsets me is the grav weaponry and the anti-air vehicles, mainly because when the BA and SW codices are released they will probably have them and we will be left out again. Everything else we can just ally in and I am fine with that. On a side note, is anybody else super happy that no other chapter got stubborn in their chapter tactics?

That's a big thing I didn't think about. Allies in the 6th Ed. essentially eliminate any need to worry about when weapons/equipment will crossover between codices. That being said, it seems like most of you veterans aren't too worried about it. Why is that? Are the new portions of C:SM a little too niche for the needs of most DA players? Or do they just not really do anything for us? 

There just isnt anything uber awesome game breaking in the C:SM...   OOooo..  Hunter and Stalker do a meh job at killing fiiers...  Woo! Grav kills termies...  instead of plasma kills termies...  Grav cannons kill vehicles...  Las kills vehicles...  it just isnt earth shattering untill we get to Knight class walkers...  and we can deal with those too...

That being said, it seems like most of you veterans aren't too worried about it. Why is that? Are the new portions of C:SM a little too niche for the needs of most DA players? Or do they just not really do anything for us? 

Why? Well our current situation ain't got nuthin' on 5th ed. We survived 5th ed, this is a drop in the bucket.

It annoys me that GW's release methodology leaves older codexes without tools they should obviously have until they get around to a new version of the codex. We should have grav guns and the new tanks, and we will when the next codex comes, so it's stupid that they make you wait half a decade or so. But you learn to live with it.

But the new codex doesn't leave us high and dry like the 5th ed codex SM did. The new additions don't give SM a leg up over us. Just gives them more options. Which is fine, they should have more options. Their codex represents the other 999 chapters in the galaxy.

That being said, it seems like most of you veterans aren't too worried about it. Why is that? Are the new portions of C:SM a little too niche for the needs of most DA players? Or do they just not really do anything for us?

Why? Well our current situation ain't got nuthin' on 5th ed. We survived 5th ed, this is a drop in the bucket.

It annoys me that GW's release methodology leaves older codexes without tools they should obviously have until they get around to a new version of the codex. We should have grav guns and the new tanks, and we will when the next codex comes, so it's stupid that they make you wait half a decade or so. But you learn to live with it.

But the new codex doesn't leave us high and dry like the 5th ed codex SM did. The new additions don't give SM a leg up over us. Just gives them more options. Which is fine, they should have more options. Their codex represents the other 999 chapters in the galaxy.

Was 5th Ed. really that bad? I didn't play during that time so I don't know much about it. pinch.gif

Was 5th Ed. really that bad? I didn't play during that time so I don't know much about it. pinch.gif

Everything that was cool and unique about Dark Angels was given to C:SM, SW and BA for fewer points.

Oh, and Scouts as Elites choices who didn't have the Scout rule.  Ah, now I'm getting all nostalgic...

And don't forget also the compulsory "blocks" of 5 marines... No possibility to play a tactical of 9 in a drop pod or a rhino with an IC since it was 5 or 10 marines... And no combi weapons for sgt...

Look not upon our past sins (or GWs)

Look to your battle brothers and objective before you...

I think it's good to remember that time was hard, what we survived from and be happy with what we have now...

Oh, and Scouts as Elites choices who didn't have the Scout rule.  Ah, now I'm getting all nostalgic...

Hey, they were pretty elite until 6th dropped, if you used them right.  Five BP/CCW scouts outflanking did a metric butt-ton to "encourage" the enemy to compress towards the center of the board...the second time he faced them.  On the surface, it's "yeah, five novices in carapace, big deal."  Then your pieplate machine gets krak grenades shoved in its tailpipe on turn two...or the attack bike that you sent a combat squad to deal with suddenly has friends in the form of five S4 shots followed by 16 S4 swings.  21 S4 attacks from off the board edge, with your choice of which edge 2/3 of the time, and for a measly 80 points?  That's pretty elite in my book!  More than enough to swing a close combat your way, and for very minimal risk.  More than once, I used them to flip the script on an opponent who thought he'd drag down five terminators in melee by outnumbering them 4 or 5 to 1.  Between the 21 attacks on arrival and the doubling of my numbers, the actual quality of the scouts (compared to termies?) didn't matter, they earned back not their own 80 points, but the termies' 240 points by saving their bacon (okay, sometimes I was actually using the termies as bait for exactly that trap, but without knowing how much enemy force would walk into it).

I would say that the current incarnation of our scouts are less useful than the ones you're complaining about.  Besides getting their statlines brought in line with C:UM, the fact that they're scoring makes them a juicier target than before, and they aren't exactly harder to kill than they were in 5th!

I think it's good to remember that time was hard, what we survived from and be happy with what we have now...

It is good to remember those dark times because some are already forgetting and new recruits do not know...  but the other side of the coin is that we as a faction also have taken the role of "victim" "downtrodden" and "underdog" and just don't realize how good this book is.  They need to set those feelings aside and get out there and play and find what works.  How many threads whining about Grav weapons, White Scars and the like have we had?  

It is good to remember those dark times because some are already forgetting and new recruits do not know...  but the other side of the coin is that we as a faction also have taken the role of "victim" "downtrodden" and "underdog" and just don't realize how good this book is.  They need to set those feelings aside and get out there and play and find what works.  How many threads whining about Grav weapons, White Scars and the like have we had?  

Too many.  Too many to count, even.  Most of them were probably started by people who used C:UM to field their DA models last edition.  They should do the same this edition or please be quiet already.

I listen to your words venerable brothers and rage swells in me that other charpters so easily "stole" our secrets in the past and begun to use our tactics. Yet I feel proud that our codex is so self reliant and although I have C:UM book I find nothing really that good that we would need. And even if I ever find such thing that I will want to use I will simply buy models, paint them as Dark Angels, mark their knee pads/shoulder pads as to remember that they're allies and use them in battle.

Personally I aproach Codex: Ultra Marines as just an expansion to our own force, nothing else.

Archived