C:SM update for DA

Asmodai Asmodean

Gentlemen, if the only "deficiencies" in our codex are a weak company champion and the fact that company masters don't get relic blades, I say rejoice!  We don't have problems.  I'll bet every codex in the game has bigger complaints than that! 

Champions aren't worth the points even if they have C:UM statlines, and even with a relic blade available, I would still field a librarian with PFG instead.  Don't get me wrong, I love my company master, and he was my standard non-DW HQ choice in 5th, armed with nothing but a power sword (cheap at 115 points), but in this edition, if you're playing power armored DA, Azrael actually makes sense for the points (he didn't in 5th), and if you want cheaper, you go with the libby.  If you're going to start spending the points required to build a combat monster company master, you might as well take Azzy instead and benefit the entire army, not just one model. 

I agree with you in principle.  The Codex is obviously great in so many ways.  My only "complaints" (and I use that word loosely) stem from the fact that my perspective is informed more by the fluff than by numerical values.  Thus, while I certainly appreciate the examples you provided, I still feel keenly the inability to replicate Heavenfall Blades, or to inject covert members of the Inner Circle in squads, etc.  They might not be the crunchiest way to spend points, but they're part of the 5-10% that's missing from being able to field a Dark Angels army that is precisely a Dark Angels army.

Please don't read the above as a criticism - to each their own, after all!  :)

Archived