Grey Knight Allies for Monster Hunting

corlinjewell

So,  I've noticed at my local meta that there are decent amount of monstrous creatures giving me trouble, and I was thinking of getting a small allied detachment of grey knights with some daemonhammers to mitigate some of the problem (considering they are Str 8 Force weapons).  Has anyone else tried this?

An alternate way to tackle this with GK allies is a GK Librarian with Warp Rift and some Grave weapons (on Bikers, Devastator Centurions, etc.) in your Primary detachment.

Hit the Monstrous Creature(s) with Grav weapons and inflict at least one unsaved wound, in turn activating the Concussive USR and reducing the MC to Initiative 1 until the beginning of the following turn Assault phase.

Immediately after, hit the MC with Warp Rift from your allied GK Librarian. Must pass a Ld10 Psychic test (very good chance of passing) and your opponent must fail a Deny the Witch test (usually only a 6+ for most MCs, unless they are a Tzeentch Greater Daemon).

Finally, the MC must pass an Initiative test with a 1 or less (but has -1 to his roll for being a MC, so really a 2 or less). If he fails this Initiative Test, the MC is removed straight up, with no saves of again kind.

Given the automatic hit from the Warp Rift Template and the high probability of passing the Psychic Test and the enemy failing the DtW tests, the biggest risks come from actually getting a wound with a Grav weapon and the MC failing its initiative test.

In order to mitigate the first part, I'd suggest using unit that can put out a high volume of Grav shots, like a SMB squad with 2 Grav rifles and a combi-Grav. This unit puts out 9 shots in a single a turn, of which about 6 will hit and, against a 3+ save MC, about 4 will wound. Since many MCs have a 5++ save, that means about 2 unsaved wounds... enough to ensure a good chance of the Concussive effect, although likely not enough to kill most MCs. Thats when the Warp Rift Librarian comes in, either dropping out of a Transport (LR, Stormraven) or Deep Striking, and hopefully sends the MC into the Warp.

My current list has moved away from GK allies, but my 5th Ed codex list had a 500pt detachment consisting of TDA Inquisitor with hammer, psycannon and lvl1 psyker (divination usually) in a unit of termies with psycannon and either a vindicare assassin on a psyfleman dread. Mixture of hammers and halberds let them deal with a variety of targets and 2 psycannons rerolling misses with prescience is effective against everything from mid to light vehicles, MC's and flyers.

Archived