The Gorgon Ferrus Manus. A WIP painting log

lilloser

Hello and welcome to this blog charting my progress painting the Gorgon, Ferrus Manus. 

I hope to litter this with useful information for those who will be attempting to build and paint their own miniature.

All feedback and comments are welcome. Hope to update soon. 

Myles

out of interest Myles, does he come with the piece to couple him to Fulgrim?

also very interested in this

Both bases of Fulgrim and Manus are designed to fit together.

They are, but if you have seen the video, you would see there is an extra piece slotted between the two of them.

I like how you've modelled him how he ended up, i.e. minus an important body part smile.png

Cheers mate - I wanted you to get the joke, I just wasn't sure anyone would pick up on it.

It doesn't come with the base I've seen in display pictures (what looks like an all encompassing oval for both pieces to sit in). They do however fit together.

Please please please magentize the head!

So tempted to do this...

Both bases of Fulgrim and Manus are designed to fit together.

Yup.

Ferrus Manus day 1
Step one
Step 1 - The Zenithal base coat.
This stages helps build contrast and also helps me plot highlighting and shading points. This stage also helps me visualise the end result. The head was undercoated grey first and given a zenithal blast of white directly from above.
Step two
Stage 2; Airbrush
I use a cool grey mixing black white and purple with a touch of turquoise for the first thin layer which covers the black armour. I add a little more white and turqoise to highlight and then shade the armour with pure black mixed with a little black ink. I yo-yo between these stages until the undercoat layer has vanished and the armour is smooth.
I spray the base with the same grey as the armour but do not add the black shading. The dead Iron Hand undergoes the same treatment as his father primarch. The Emperor's Children are given a pre shade of dark blue, a mid tone of reaper master series clear purple and warlock purple for the contrast on the highest points of the armour.
The head is sprayed with a redish brown underneath and lighter, cooler shades of skin until I am practically spraying pure white straight down at his face.
Step three
Step 3: The rest...
This stage is brutally short and needs expansion.
The armour was shaded with black, washed with turquoise and re-highlighted with white to sharpen the details.
The bronze was created by mixing VMC Air bronze and copper. This was then juiced with Tamiya clear yellow, red and green (to create a warm, murky brown - mis in more green for deeper shadows). The silver was VMC Air black (metallic), VMC air gun and chrome mised and blended together. This was washed with nuln oil and re-highlighted with chrome. Looking at the pictures I think the arms could benefit from a few more layers of Chrome to lighten them.
The face was given a wash of tallarn flesh and VMC skin wash ink. I applied shadows by mixing brown with blue (increase the blue for the deeper shadows). I used Tallarn Flesh and VMC Glacier Blue to highlight the skin. I gave Ferrus a smattering of white on the side of his head. Despite the super regenerative capabilities of a Primarch on the celluar level rendering them all but immune their hair from turning white, I thought he would look quite distinguished with a smattering of salt and pepper side hair.
That's your lot for tonight. Any feedback will be hungrily received.
Myles

damn, that would be pretty much finished for me!!!! I really like seeing an insight into how you paint, especially after seeing your finished EC dread. I will shamelessly nick and use how you pre shade with your undercoat for sure.

As for feedback not much I can say, it would feel like an apprentice giving his master advice, but it looks ace, would to see a slightly more metallic sheen to his armour personally. Also is the side of his face wonky?

Lovely work so far! happy.png Whilst I have a very loose grasp of what Zenithal highlights are (and is far beyond me at this point), I can see how effective they are when applied by someone such as yourself smile.png

Cheers guys - day two

The Gorgon, Ferrus Manus, Martyred Father of the X legion, Iron Hands

Preview pic

This was a beautiful model to paint. The final photos for the Iron Hands Legion Primarch, Ferrus Manus. This is my first Primarch project and i'm relieved to have one under my belt. I own Angron and Fulgrim but indecision has forced me to put off the projects to later dates. Still wrapped up in the enthusiasm of Games Day I broke the seal and put primer to resin before I could let doubts settle. 

I've written up a reflection on the piece for the blog. I hope you enjoy the pictures and any feedback would be warmly received (unless your a dick about it...)

Myles

Archived