Nephilim Jetfighter

Crazy Jay

I recommend grabbing one Karma. In my case I grabbed two for the price of one. Magnets and you've got a Dark talon as well. Plus if you really get fancy I've heard someone mention Magnets for a Storm Talon fill in as well.

I played a 4000 Point battle royale last weekend. It came on and didn't do a whole lot but still the avenger was fun killed three rhino's and a Chimera. No enemy flyers so didn't get to try that. It did get shot down by a Prescienced Grey Knight PsyDread. However his list was over the top cheese so I was happy with screwing with his plans and killing some transports. Almost got its points back but really what it did was make four units walk from his deployment zone so I was thrilled as was my DW that shot at them for two turns before unleashing PF of rage against him.

Not the greatest testament but the model is a must have for any First Legion Collector

DoC

We shouldn't really be comparing what our neighbours have anyway.

I bet tons of Blood Angels and Space Wolves are only DREAMING of having models as good looking as ours when they get their codexes updated.

Honestly, they've got a lot to catch up on!

The Nephilim is by far and wide, one of the better looking flier models that the Imperium has to offer. Xenos and traitor aircrafts aside, I don't think any of my opponents has ever not furrowed their brows at a pair of Twin Linked Lascannon on a 36" moving models...

Besides, our opponents need to have a chance to win or we'd get to play against no one if we just fielded three sets of Ravenwing Black Knights, lol

It is a really nice looking model when assembled that way.  I was tempted to build it with nephilim appearance and dark talon weapons, since I wanted the DT....but in the end, I made the DT the right way, and I don't regret it.  They're both better looking than any flier available in any other Marine dex.

I thought mortis dreads were DA only. Reference has been made to mortis dreads being discussed in every marine AA debate. Can someone clarify this for a new guy.

I thought mortis dreads were DA only. Reference has been made to mortis dreads being discussed in every marine AA debate. Can someone clarify this for a new guy.

I'm fairly certain people are mixing up Mortis Dreadnoughts and Mortis Contemptor Dreadnoughts. The former is DA-only, while the latter can be used by many different Chapters, including DAs.

Many people just shorten the name Mortis Contemptor with the moniker Mortis.

JJD & Terra Hawk 

I actually think regular Mortis (not Mortis Contemptor) are also allowed for quite a few chapters though I could be wrong. I do believe it was a we DA were the only ones with the Mortis Dread and then like the plasma cannon they gave our toys away. Not entirely sure though so if an older vet could pipe in that would help.

Personally from what I can gather the Mortis seems to be the least "rules breaking" of any Forge World unit and if you want you can just use a regular dread if you are like me and already own too many dreads. Just get the duplicate arm and you are set. Sky Fire if the unit doesn't move isn't exactly over the top and the points cost are fair. Besides barely anyone seems to be bring Dreads these days anyway. The look on my friends faces when I break out three of them is fairly classic.

DoC

Well yeah, it kinda depends on what you mean when you talk about a Mortis Dreadnought. If you just mean a dread with two ranged weapons (aka the Rifleman), all Chapters have access to it nowadays, even though it was originally a DA only thing.

But if you mean an actual Mortis Dread as an unit entry, only DA are allowed access to it. And even that is via Forge World.

Rifleman dread doesn't have Skyfire or Interceptor or both...   I'm a little fuzzy on the difference actually, but I believe that is right along with  the Mortis has more weapon options.  (goes off to find the GK FAQ...) 

Also dont have a copy of it but I believe the Mortis Contemptor dread is only found in the FW Apocalypse book (and maybe the new Hersey books) and is therefore really only legal for Apoc games unless you have opponents permission.

JJD,

The Skyfire and Interceptor Rules are under the Imperial Armor 6th edition Vehicles  update in case you didn't find them. Thanks for finding the actual Mortis though. I love our Legion.........um chapters. Only place you can have uber shooty dreadnoughts of doom. And I don't think they are too over the top for what they bring.

DoC

JJD,

The Skyfire and Interceptor Rules are under the Imperial Armor 6th edition Vehicles  update in case you didn't find them. Thanks for finding the actual Mortis though. I love our Legion.........um chapters. Only place you can have uber shooty dreadnoughts of doom. And I don't think they are too over the top for what they bring.

DoC

Since they lack skyfire and interceptor, and can't be upgraded to vennies, I agree that nobody should have a problem with them...and I suspect that because of the same non-cheese status, there's no mad rush to field three of them in every list, either.  The normal DA-only mortis just isn't overpowered. 

As I sais before, the Neph is basically a better Stormtalon.

It only looks bad when compared to Vendettas (very soon they will cost a lot more) and to the killing power of the broken hell chickens.

And why do we even discuss fw models? They are a niche and not fielded in 90% of games. Also you won't find many or any tournies that allow them.

I don't know about a better Stormtalon. You're paying quite a lot to go up a Hull Point from a lascannon Stormtalon, and you're losing out on the assault cannon too.

Having a better-looking model is probably worth the point tax though.

I have to agree with this. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who would gladly trade our fliers for the SM ones (if the rules are gonna stay the way they are).

Hopefully I'll get access to the Storm Talon when my Blood Angels get updated though. msn-wink.gif

I just got a da flyer as a birthday gift. Here are two things id like to try it with.

1. I think its gonna make a great craft for apocalyse flying in with my storm eagle. That way the major down side, its points cost, is removed. Twin linked las cannons will be all the rage.

2. A second thing to thiink about is that if you can get your opponent to play along with using the da mission book, some of the mission special rules make the flyers very attractive. Like coming on turn one! That same mission also allows charging after deep strike! Yowza!

Archived