Curiosity... How many points is your DA army

captain sox

Hey folks.

Been on a bit of a hiatus while me and the missus moved and setup our new cat home.

I was unpacking my collection of Dark Angels and got to thinking about how many points my army is. So I calculated it and it came in something like 6500.

Then I got to thinking, why do I need that many points for an army I play a few times a year? Why am I going to invest so much time painting these minis? Even our biggest games of Apoc we use about 3000 pts Max.

I got discouraged and am at a crossroads in my gaming life. I'm 43 and wondering what to do...

Keep it all, or sell/donate/make someone really happy with a surprise gift of minis.

So I ask you good people of the B and C, how many points is your DA army? How much is painted?

What words of encouragement do you have for an older fellow who is losing interest in the hobby?

BTW, of my 6500 pts, I have about 1000 painted ermm.gif

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

thumbsup.gif

Also around 6,500 points!

Though about 5,500 of it is painted, so I've only got a few bits to finish. Whilst I'll rarely use it all, it's nice to be able to field Deathwing, Ravenwing, Greenwing or a mix depending on what I fancy playing. It's also nice for campaigns/narrative games to be able to field an appropriate theme army for different games. I think it's enough for me now, the only thing I'm thinking I might add is a Fortress of Redemption as it seems like something which I should have!

More than 10000 pts ... And still growing. :lol:

Everything is painted and I like to think they well painted (nothing exceptional but coherent and not only 3 colors applied by dry brush)

Most of them were painted for a table of games day Paris 2011 to an apocalyptic game opposing DA to orks in Piscina and implying a Titan warlord and a mega Titan ork.

My objective is to get the entire 5th company with all the weapons options and transport

It implies that every tactical squad counts 18 models and have its own rhino/RZB and it's own drop pod. That looks like that :

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/Masteravoghai/Dark%20angels/1F612940-5CAB-4619-BEC4-B95EF755E919-4343-000005CF3E94912F.jpg

And I let you imagine the devastators :rolleyes:

I also have the objective to get half a company of both DW and RW. The DW objective is merely achieved, just miss the 10 knights. For the RW it's more complicated since I DO have the models but I sell them to redo them since my painting technics and the models have improved for the last ten years.

So actually I've a lot more than 10000 if you take into account all the weapons options. It's just that if you call me for a 10000 pts game, not only I can play but I can adapt my wargear to your army...

That's the main reason why we own so much models : we can change our army lists to adapt or just because we want to try different things. That's even more true with DA since our codex allows us to play 3 armies in one codex.

You say you rarely play Apoc games with more than 3000pts each, but I assume it's because you play as teams. May I suggest you to propose to play alone with 6000pts against 2x3000 (or 3x2000), you ll see it's a great sensation to have all your models in front of you and lead the operations ALONE. A really good experience indeed.

I'm on the way to prepare a theme game : my 10000pts against 2500pts of each chaos god, will be epic... But we miss a pure slaanesh player for the moment :(

Last thing : it's not the same thing to have 6500 mounted and 6500 PAINTED. When you see all your models painted, all bases flocked, with just some little colour variations to identify the squads and all, there's a lot of satisfaction seeing the result of your work and it gives you motivation to paint more actually.

So keep motivation, paint more models, play a big game, and you'll see you don't want to sell your models. ;)

I have 6,500 points fully painted and based, with a further 500 or so points worth of models waiting to be done. The plan is to finish everything by Christmas, and move on to other projects in 2014.

The thing with using the DA codex is that I actually feel that I have 3 armies in 1, so any time I get bored I can just switch between wings to get a fresh thing to paint. smile.png

I've got 8882 points playing wysiwyg, wih about 7500 or more painted. It gets a bit blurry haha. I've got 5000 points in just Deathwing and support vehicles alone.

I've gotten distracted by video games as of late but this weekend I plan on putting serious effort into painting the rest of my greenwing. I've been told by my girlfriend that I'm not allowed to buy any more models until I paint what I have

At last count (pre-dark vengeance) about 22,000.  However as this was worked out using the old rules I've added to it since then I've not a clue to where I stand, need to rework t out at some point but it just means sorting through older models to make them legal again :(

Heh...Since everything is re-pointed under the new codex, I'm not really sure...  I have:

Zeke, Bels, a foot chappy, TDA IC and libby, bike IC for HQ characters

Five full tactical squads, a few with alternate special weapon options

One full assault squad with two different sergeants

One full lascannon dev squad and a partial missile dev squad

9 random extra veterans/sergeants

7 scout snipers

6 scouts with pistol and sword

scout with HB

scout sergeant with fist and stormbolter (hey, he was legal...in third edition!)

An apothecary and a standard bearer

32 assorted terminators

7 assorted bikes and an attack bike

two tornadoes and a typhoon

a dark talon

two crusaders, a mars, and a terminus ultra

three vennies

a trilas pred

a TLLC razor

a WW

a forgeworld drop pod

....that's off the top of my head, and only what's painted.  I have ~12 unpainted termies, ~12 unpainted bikes, and ~30 unpainted marines...all on the sprue, because I don't play with unpainted models (I try so hard not to buy plastic faster than I paint it, but...) Plus, I have an assembled and primed typhoon waiting for paint, and anything that comes in the DV box that (basically an entire box of sprue.  I have assembled and painted only the special edition chappy...so much for accumulating stuff and not painting it!) 

My short-term goal is a bunch of the termies (5 for a tactical termie squad, and 4 more knights, I just finished one) and a crusader (one of my two is in bad shape, and I need a clean good looking one for adepticon).  Longer term...I've been building the 5th company for 12 years...and I'm still 24 marines away...half a dev squad, a tactical squad (DV box?), and nine more jumpers to join my bonus assault sergeant.  If I put my mind to it, it could be done in a month, of course...but I have seven armies, and adepticon is only 6 months off.

I think the last time I did a rough count I was just over 14k with maybe 2000 points painted...

In those points theres half of the 1st co, half of the 2nd co, full 3rd co, and maybe 1/4 of the 4th... If i ever get it all done and manage to set it up on a table Ill probably cry tears of joy

Hmm Captain Sox,

• You have a fine sized army collection, but you say it's not all painted? Keep chipping away at it every time there is a painting challlenge
  • I don't believe anyone I've met collects an army in order to field that entire collection, but that's why Apocalypse is there, so that you can
  • Does 30k (HH) interest you? The Betrayal list is so varied and awesome you can build your collection quite differently
  • Allies? If your interest wanes a little why not add some allies and alternate painting them with your main army
  • Sell/donate/make someone really happy with a surprise gift of minis? Well you could and that would be very commendable. I myself have just embarked on a xmas gift for someone less fortunate (a sick child) and it involves giving away a painted counts as army for Imperial Guard. I believe this will be appreciated and give him something to look forward too. Also I hope this doesn't interfere too much time wise with the 'Currus Belli'

I have a goal in mind to reach with my own collection and I haven't reached it yet. Who knows, maybe one day when I get there I will also ask for advice on what to do.

thumbsup.gif

Cod

P.S. Is your collection really over? It isn't over till it's over! All the best on deciding how far to go.

@Master Avoghai You're missing the HB marines...shame on you! :P

I have aprox 8-10k of models, only 5-6k painted.

Please get an appointment ASAP with the apthecarion... It seems your enhanced vision need to be corrected...

The HB marine is on the top line right in the center.

I've only ever played the painted stuff and these days I don't play much and barely paint due to lack of time.

no idea on points and from memory
painted:
3rd company minus vehicles
couple of rhinos/razorbacks
landraider
30 odd terminators (assault/tacticals)
2 RW bike squads with attack bikes
some random characters
some scouts
extra dev options
a dread

not painted/mostly unbuilt
30+ terminators
couple of belial conversions
3 RW squads plus 6 attack bikes (might be more)
3 land speeders
predator
3 whirlwinds
couple of rhinos
2 landraiders
2 dreads
mortis dread
landraider prometheus
couple of tactical squads
more hq's than I will ever need.

non DA - 4 or 5 other armies/experiments that I've barely touched but must have a few hundred models for (possibly more, think my ork horde alone is around 200 models of which I've painted around 20). I haven't actually bought any models in a long time, the 3rd company I built up in 3rd edition. DW and ravenwing started when the plastic terminators were first released and I added extra tanks as I went along with the idea of mech armies/apocalypse the first time around. lots I would like to get but have deliberately held off as I have too much that has yet to see some love. similar to Sox I've debated selling some of it off, only really done that with warhammer stuff so far, or even giving some of it to friends but most of my collection is out of sight out of mind when I get home so I don't even get to thinking about it often. maybe when the kids are a bit older i'll have time

I have 12 - 14K worth only about 4k painted and around 3K more assembled..............I wouldn't get rid of them my friend. Everyone I hear about doing that regrets it later. you may have to put more effort in to playing or finding those who do play but otherwise if you can't find the time or people to play with you I would pick a squad work them out and paint them. When you get the urge do it again one five man or ten man squad at a time. When you don't get that urge let it go. Shelve it and take a break like most guys. A lot of them do it for 10 years or so and come back to it. Or maybe start a new army that interests you. But I find getting out and playing to be the biggest problem and you just have to go with a group that you can stand and play with regularly.

A little over 4k painted models. Somewhere around another 4k in unpainted models and then unopened boxes Deathwing Command Squad x4, Ravenwing COmmand squad x2, DA bike Squadron x1, DA Veteran Space Marines x4.

I really need to paint/build lol

OK, i'll bite :)

A little over 14K painted and about 3-4K in the painting queue

4th Company Complete

6th Company about 40 marines

10th Company 2 squads

1st Company

2nd Company

I really must get back to painting green ;)

shintuhadoken, on 02 Oct 2013 - 04:36, said:

At last count (pre-dark vengeance) about 22,000. However as this was worked out using the old rules I've added to it since then I've not a clue to where I stand, need to rework t out at some point but it just means sorting through older models to make them legal again sad.png

Damn... I quit counting at 11,000 which looks bad but when you consider that it is in three armies that happen to mix and match it isnt quite as bad...

105+ chars in green, 3 dreads, 6 rhino chassis and a pod (10 assault and 5 devs short of a company)

85+ chars in bone. 3 raiders

20 bikes, 4 speeders, big speeder and a plane

I am guessing that 75% or a bit more is painted to a pretty decent TT standard...

It's been awesome reading your replies.  It seems I forgot or lost sight of the 3 different "armies" we have in our codex, and when I break it down, I only have 2000 pts of each army... which means I'm doing ok on that front (room for more!)

Now I just need to find a way to motivate myself to paint.

Single models are usually a good way to go.

If its a character, great. If not...why not paint Brother Tanhausen (shameless plug hehe) with his trusted meltagun.

I find building a story helps me stay motivated!

Single models...  (Brother Dean is a termie with Lightning claws)  

or a tank.  

My Black Knights (6) have been fighting me for almost three months (mid July is when I started them...)   A vindicator for my Bday in August got painted in a bit more than a week because it doesn't have the frilly stuff that special units have

I have about 7000 points total and everything is painted except 10 terminators I'm working on modding.  Still need a bike force to complement things.  I will be picking up bikes at some point but I'm on a 40k spending freeze.  Between Tau and DA both coming out so close my fun budget took a drain.  lol 

Single models are usually a good way to go.

If its a character, great. If not...why not paint Brother Tanhausen (shameless plug hehe) with his trusted meltagun.

I find building a story helps me stay motivated!

I think on the contrary that painting single model is not the way to go. You'll spend lot of time on a single troop model hence once you finish and you see what's left, you risk to feel discouraged.

Painting squads or tanks is more effective and motivating because you advance very fast once you've found simple technics.

For my green marines I always do :

Spray of angels green from army painter

Boltgun on the metallic parts without need of a previous black layer (if you prefer, you can make a wash of nuln oil)

Iyanden yellow then ushabti bone on the chest symbols, scrolls...

Khorne red on the bolter casings eyes and purity seals

Final general enlightments with snot green then touches of scorpion green here and there

You've noticed that I've not a single mix. There's nothing more demotivating when you paint a model to reach a step where you say :"ok now I need to make a mix of that and that to enlight my base colour... Here, all you have to do is take the paint pot, take a little bit of paint, dilute and apply.

It allows me to paint 10 tactical in 2hours of time... Greatly motivating...

Well I'm really boring, but I'm going to respond anyway.

750 Points (Dark Vengeance) none of it painted.

Luckily though, I'll be picking up another 250 points in the next week or two and hopefully I'll work up the willpower to at least prime everything... so that's something.

As far as staying interested in the hobby, that's enteirely up to you I won't try and convice you to do something you don't like and honestly if you don't like it/don't need it anymore, you should give me all your extra minis think about getting rid of the miniatures you don't need. I wouldn't do anything drastic like selling off 3500 points worth of minis, because it's nice to have variety even if you don't use every single mini at once, but maybe sell of the things you have that are redundant.

If you could find a good group near where you live that could have a monthly or bi-weekly game session, I'm sure that would help a lot.

Archived