Curiosity... How many points is your DA army

captain sox

Now I just need to find a way to motivate myself to paint.

Single models are usually a good way to go.

If its a character, great. If not...why not paint Brother Tanhausen (shameless plug hehe) with his trusted meltagun.

I find building a story helps me stay motivated!

I think on the contrary that painting single model is not the way to go. You'll spend lot of time on a single troop model hence once you finish and you see what's left, you risk to feel discouraged.

Painting squads or tanks is more effective and motivating because you advance very fast once you've found simple technics.

For my green marines I always do :

Spray of angels green from army painter

Boltgun on the metallic parts without need of a previous black layer (if you prefer, you can make a wash of nuln oil)

Iyanden yellow then ushabti bone on the chest symbols, scrolls...

Khorne red on the bolter casings eyes and purity seals

Final general enlightments with snot green then touches of scorpion green here and there

You've noticed that I've not a single mix. There's nothing more demotivating when you paint a model to reach a step where you say :"ok now I need to make a mix of that and that to enlight my base colour... Here, all you have to do is take the paint pot, take a little bit of paint, dilute and apply.

It allows me to paint 10 tactical in 2hours of time... Greatly motivating...

I agree: having a lot of backlog really is depressing/motivation energy consuming.

What I did, I signed up for tournaments which require better than 3 colours and that pushed my over the line quite a few times.

Also the ETL has helped A LOT! Though I only submitted 1 infantry model in the ETL II per se (hint: stick to 1 model, just keep it going) the momentum led me to do 36 more tacticals in the following couple weeks.

If you don't treat yourself, IME, all you end up doing is soul-breaking chores and never actually discover the joy of painting for the heck of it...which usually leads to "I'm going to try this new stuff"...which in the end raises our level in a simple and positive way.

Enough rant: Brother Motivational out :P

I am only closing in on the second thousand points of unforgiven. But I have been at a similar turmoil considering my three largest armies - namely Orks, and Skaven and High Elves for Fantasy all close to 10 000 pts. Do you guys who have over 10 000 points have other armies as well?

Is it reasonable to add units you would rarely use? I think yes. I got back to the hobby Waaagh! *cough, cough* Crusade after starting to view my armies as "collections". Especially the High Elf army to which I have started to add older models. 

Thank you brother captain sox, for an interesting topic.

So let me start off by saying that I've not liked the 6th ed rules since they came out. That being said, I've played DA for 20 years now and have about 6k worth, mostly deathwing. It's in various stages of paint but I also own 5 other armies in 40k and 6 in fantasy, so I bounce back and forth to what I'm painting on. AS I was saying in the beginning, don't like the rules but still play most every Monday night. Don't let anything discourage you, have fun, paint/play when you can.

I am only closing in on the second thousand points of unforgiven. But I have been at a similar turmoil considering my three largest armies - namely Orks, and Skaven and High Elves for Fantasy all close to 10 000 pts. Do you guys who have over 10 000 points have other armies as well?

Is it reasonable to add units you would rarely use? I think yes. I got back to the hobby Waaagh! *cough, cough* Crusade after starting to view my armies as "collections". Especially the High Elf army to which I have started to add older models. 

Thank you brother captain sox, for an interesting topic.

Not a problem brother! At one point I had a Lizardmen Army which was about 7-8K worth of points (I enjoyed painting them too) but since I rarely played, I saw no need for 2 armies.

I found my greatest issue with paint is that I have never came about a colour scheme I liked, or was good at painting. Last night I was dabbling with paints (had a friend over last night and we played a small 1000K game) then took out our hobby tools and tried some different colour combos. I came up with one that will be I) easy to paint, and II) look great!  SO I got a bit of motivation now. 

In our "training exercise" I got routed by the Grey Knights... the dice gods insist I play more. I rolled less than 3 more last night than in my combined 5 years of gaming. Like 1 lost 3 Black Knights to storm bolter fire.

14560 total (Deathwing: 4335, Ravenwing: 2772, 4th Company: 4730, misc: 2813) and still growing, but the end is nigh. I am almost complete with my vision of what I wanted for my Dark Angels

8000 pts all painted.

gallery_25668_1009_151121.jpg

That red attack trike in the background is worth at least 1000 points on its own ;)

I have 2240 points of terminators. Belial, full SoF command squad and 7 CML squads. I have a heap of other weapons to cope with any rule changes. Also have the rest of the last two box sets to paint but I have no use for non terminator models. Painted TDA libby and Chappy to add in there. Plus I bought the DA release bundle so I have a flyer kit, LSV kit, RW command squad box mostly with no idea which version I want to build. I'm buying scouts, a whirlwind, and a couple of dreads soon as support for the DW for sub 2000 point games which is the standard game size in my area.   

Most of it is unpainted, mostly because I'm too busy at work, but there has been the odd friend decide that we need to sit down for some serious xbox time. Which is why I'm staying out of the painting challenges for now.

At this point, I have about 747 points of my Stoneburners painted to what I consider finished/within a step or so of being finished (which sadly doesn't include any HQ choices yet). The remainder of my army either needs to be repainted, is partial assembled and held together with tacky material to try and finalize poses before being broken back apart for painting, or is bare plastic. Some of that is still on the sprue, some of it has been cut off without being cleaned to be organized in my bitz holders. That part comes to something like 9,000 points at the minimum. It also doesn't count any components of any other army.

Ive finally done up a Spreadsheet to track this (Ive thought about doing something but never had the drive haha)....

Since starting 40k and joining my Unforgiven brothers from day one last June (just before 6th ed) I have amassed 5908pts worth of the 1st Legion:

Scarily enough, the vast majority is at the very least primed if not painted....

My goal is to collect as close to a full battle company (still a ways off but with 4 full tactical squads and 2 devastators Im getting much closer).

Ive also been building up my 1st, and to a lesser extent, second companies. I need to take a group shot soon to add to this thread's bling smile.png

(Im also 30-40% done with about 1000pts of Salamanders, 90% done with ~500pts of Tau as well).

22,000 points... with only 700 points completely painted as I am apparently super slow at painting (first army, been gaming since 3rd edition)

My gaming group doesn't mind using models in primer, someday I'll get around to painting my black/white primered models.

Never forgive, never forget... Dark Angels for life!

I have 15,500 points of Deathwing owned, it's around 93% painted as a rough guess.  I am mainly down to Land Raiders and Dreadnoughts, with a few characters still needing done.  

Best,

Paul

Oh Captain my Captain (Another phrase I never thought I'd say on here) Just remember take it one squad at a time. If it's Deathwing just pick five models and set a goal of a week or two and have them done. 10 Man PA same thing. I find vehicles are good for breaking it up for me I really enjoy painting them so after two or three squads I paint up a tank or Landspeeder or something. And for the love of god don't do what I did and buy more stuff. Just makes the mountain taller to climb. Though I also found playing more helps as well. I get the models out regularly and decide I want to have enough to place an entirely painted list of 2K points worth of this on the board and it helps me anyway.

I have gathered 3,615 points in about 2 years.

The only unpainted models I have is a Devastator Squad of 5 models and a Drop Pod.

For me, I generally tend to buy a model here and there and then end up painting them for tournaments or things like the ETL etc.

Archived