Podded AV12 Dreadnought Configuration

Jolemai

Morning all

I am interested in deploying my AV12 Dreadnought via Drop Pod (second wave), but I am having trouble deciding on the best configutation for it.

~ If I choose the Multi Melta, neither the Storm Bolter or Heavy Flamer synergise with it and there might not be a suitable target remaining for the main weapon when the Pod eventually arrives.

~ Assault Cannon and Storm Bolter/Heavy Flamer could be of use to get the Dread up field with my remaining army.

~ Opt for a dual heavy weapon Dreadnought and either start it on the board or Pod it at range?

If you were to select an AV12 Dreadnought for your army, what configuration would you choose?

[DISCLAIMER: For those who are interested, I plan on using this for a Blood Angels Dreadnought spam list but I am asking this question here as I want to know how you would use one in your army, not mine. Also, I am fully aware that this is not an optimal choice but this thread is not about slating the AV12 Dreadnought or discussing alternative units, so please refrain from doing so. Thanks smile.png]

Dreads are versatile, like many Marine things and this is their strength. As such the best configuration is the one that supports your army and the Dread's role in it best.

For me the classic AC and HF is a great stalwart as it can punish infantry and light armour reliably and of course smash most things in combat. Run him with some Marines and they'll support each other and you'll get better results. Otherwise it's dual long ranged weaponry for my Dreads pretty much and you generally don't want them podding in :)

Though the mortis pattern has some competition from Centurions now, but not having used them yet I can't say anything concrete about that.

My thoughts:

1 - I always have my dreads in the first wave, because when I pod them in, I want as many of them in the face of the opponent as quickly as possible, or in the case where the opponent is a cc-focused army that can deal with them, I want them on objectives to force them to move the object while the rest of my army blazes away.

2 - With that in mind, I'm a huge fan of the multi-melta, but that's because it lands immediately and cannot be ignored by most armies. If you are dead set on wave 2, or if for some reason I always had to put mine in wave 2, I would go with the assault cannon. No matter what you encounter, the assault cannon is likely to be useful, and you will have a chance to observe the board and see how the fight is evolving before deploying it where it would be most needed.

3 - I would avoid the long-range weapon configurations. If you are going to go down that road, don't bother to pod the thing in. In my experience, you want dreads equipped in that fashion to be irritating for the opponent to get to, and then hard to kill when they get there. Lurking on the board edges, only to charge towards an objective or pick off key vehicles at the end, works better for long-range dreads. If you go that route I recommend 48" weapons, as your role is now long-range sniper, and you should maximize that value. It doesn't fit well to have double-shooting weapon dreads in pods, as it prevents them from shooting constantly from turn 1 while being at long range; you aren't maximizing their value.

The mortis Dread can deliver reliable mobile fire power and works well helping secure objectives. If your opponent wants to close in on them for CC then there's some Marines nearby who'd be more than happy to do a bit more than babysit an objective biggrin.png I definitely agree on Dreads being better first wave pods, as long as you can avoid obvious AT they can really upset your opponent's movements which if properly exploited by the rest of your force can give you a nice leg up early game.

I have the pieces for a Siege Dreadnought, but the rules I had are long out of date now I reckon. Does anyone know where to find the most recent ones?

The contemptor mortis is probably best with the 2xkheres assault cannon arms, and the cyclone missile launcher.  If you get the big guns scenario, it is a beast to get off an objective. It is a point sink with the extra MLs, but at that point, you are using it as a fire support/interceptor dread.

My favorite is still the death company dread with blood talons.  It can be a real horde destroyer. Something to remember when the upcoming tyranid dex' drops.

The AV13 Ironclad with heavy flamers can be a game changer in some cases, taking out troops hiding in cover. 

The contemptor mortis is probably best with the 2xkheres assault cannon arms, and the cyclone missile launcher.  If you get the big guns scenario, it is a beast to get off an objective. It is a point sink with the extra MLs, but at that point, you are using it as a fire support/interceptor dread.

As of the most recent Apocalypse book, the Conteptor Mortis is an Elites choice (I'm assuming your reference to the Big Guns scenario is because Heavy Support chocies are scoring in that?).

It's still a beast though!

I kind of agree with Reinholt, if you want a long range dread, pick 48" weapons and don't pod.  If you take the pod, you are only doing it to be able to drop an empty pod at some point.  I suggest that in addition to looking for similar kinds of targets, you look for similar engagement ranges for your weapons.  For example, I would not want to mix a flamer with a missile launcher.

Personally, for long-range, I like the ML, the TLLC, or 1 or 2 autocannons.  For mid-range, I like the MM or the Aslt.C.  For close range/assault work, if a Furioso isn't handy, I like the flamer or melta-gun and CCW (and this is the only thing I'd think I'd pod in).  (I might opt for the Ironclad b/c it can't be glanced to death with Krak grenades.)

Most of the time I field a Dread, it's actually a long range version and I treat it a lot like a tank unless I think I really need it to cover a weakness in my army (like more emlta if I think I'm weak against tanks).

Hope this helps.

Archived