Sternguard or legion of the damned?

Jostal

Sternguard, without a doubt. They just do more. They're very versatile, can hit very hard, and have access to the Rhino to help them get around.

There isn't a contest IMO.

There is a Tactica that covers this by our very own Seahawk.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/223979-the-legion-of-the-damned/?do=findComment&comment=2678277

I feel LasCannon and Plasma gun makes for the best load out at 6 man squads.

Even Black Templar know this, one of the best cheap ways to ruin someones day. LoTD are even better at it than crusaders though because S&P combined with accurate deepstriking, and now they add ignores cover to that list.

Legion of the Damned are a lot more survivable though.

Still, it depends on what you're facing...

They aren't really the same thing though. What are you hoping for them to do, and what army are you facing?

I'd go LoD over sternguard in most cases.  Specifically with a plasma cannon and gravygun.  Both those weapons will benefit greatly from relentless and ignores cover.  They are more survivable, their standard bolter shots are better than almost anything that the sternguard can shoot, and they get relentless and ignores cover standard.  They are absurdly powerful.

LOTD are great in mid to late game. They arrive in a good position, and if equipped well can really deal some pain.

In my brief experience with them its best to give the sgt a power axe and grav pistol, and also dish out a plasma gun and 1 MM/Plasma Cannon.

Ignore cover is so useful when dealing with Tau/IG or even some cultists behing an Aegis. Everyone and their mom brings fortifications these days.

They are basically an alternative to shooty termies. Better at shooting and surviving ap2 weapons, but worse in combat and against mass fire.

Ive been thinking about this a lot and I think LotD are better in all situations besides first blood drop pod strike, but Command Squads do that better anyway.

You always have the equivalent of Dragonfire ammo active, which is the second best ammo after Hellfire and the ability to take plasma/melta/lascannon gives you the high S low AP shots to match well against combis and Hellfire rounds.

The kicker for me is that a power fist Sarge is actually a very strong addition with WS5 and a 3++.

I've bounced between these two units more often than I'd like. The Sternguard failed because I couldn't deploy them properly (and chose the wrong ammo twice).

The Legion failed because I didn't take 10 and, well, I put them in the wrong place. I landed where a Necron army was advancing with the aim of wiping out a squad of normal metal dudes and then absorbing some shots. They killed 1 Necron, which got back up, but then took the full brunt of the squad, 2 floating boat things (the ones that get 2 extra shots when they roll 6s) and a 4th squad loaded into them as well - 2 dead. They then charged the first squad and lasted 5 rounds of combat.

I'm going to try them both again but with these changes;

Sternguard - 8 with no upgrades in a Rhino with Tigurius & dual multi-melta speeder ready to deepstrike in if they need it

They ride along a flank on their own. If the enemy wants to divert units to tackle them - great. They'll deal with it. If he sends a large portion of his army - even better, the rest of my army advances on the other flank with less opposition. Tigurius can use his Warlord trait to twin-link the speeder and hopefully use his spells to make the Sternguard's Ap3 weapons twin-linked and cover-ignoring.

Legion - 10 with Plasmagun, Multi-melta, Power axe & Grav pistol

They drop on the least-protected enemy flank with only 1-2 enemy units in range. Then spend 3+ turns advancing towards one of their objectives and hold it.

Mega tempted to take both now, like SillyDreadnought suggests... So long as you have a solid back-line with boots on the ground and some long-range shooting, I think it would be a good list.

Sternguard - 8 with no upgrades in a Rhino with Tigurius & dual multi-melta speeder ready to deepstrike in if they need it

Legion - 10 with Plasmagun, Multi-melta, Power axe & Grav pistol

Both of these loadouts seem solid.

I like the dual MM speeder support and honestly, I could see it working with the Legion as well, might allow them to take more anti-infantry firepower to make better use of their ignore cover.

Why not run 2 x 5 lotd?

This way you can field 2 smaller squads but have more special/heavy weapons...

With their awesome ignore cover rule those meltas and plasmas are even more effective...

Why not run 2 x 5 lotd?

This way you can field 2 smaller squads but have more special/heavy weapons...

With their awesome ignore cover rule those meltas and plasmas are even more effective...

That works too but I like the idea of using the LotD as a massive speed bump in addition to a deepstriking support unit and I feel like 1x10 is better than 2x5.

Archived