A question or 2 about Ravenwing

captain sox

Two...  It'll give you either a re-roll with the rad grenade if you declare you are shooting two or will give you a shot at a Stasis grenade as well if you want to HtH them in the assault phase and attempt to, (you will likely mince them up rather badly) keep them locked in HtH for their turn of shooting, Hit and run if they are still alive at the end of their assault phase and shoot them again or move on in your turn.

I guess my new modeling goal then is to convert the DV Box set RW bikers into BKs!

Been there done that many times...

And this:

Also since its on a hit result, and not wound, the unit firing get to wound on their new Toughness value.

Answers my one question with it because "Hey, isnt all shooting from one unit simo?" We played it as a debuff for the same squad for the rest of the game but I didnt know the mechanism that allowed me to do that, I guess I just needed to channel my MtG resolution order....

Yeah when people bring up the simo part, just ask if they agree that hitting happens before wounds. If they say yes then you point out that it happens on a to hit. If they say no, well they need more help than you can provide :D :P

Hey now give me some credit! I said it first!! jk

The synergy of the rad charge is huge.  Always fire those rad charges one at a time to see the result, if your first hits then you've now got the option to go stasis if you plan on assaulting a MEQ (that -1 initiative is an unappreciated debuff), or if the target is about to be assaulted by terminators EDIT: as per rules on p13 of BRB, you need to declare which shot is being fired prior to rolling.  Additionally, that rapid fire frag grenade is now wounding on 4s instead of 5s to a non-debuff MEQ.  It's a great way to force your opponent to keep rolling dice, even if they have the armor saves it's well worth it.  

More to that, your RWBKs can now charge MEQs and resolve HOW wounds on 3s, hit on 3s (if stasis), and wound on 2s, while each making 4 attacks each!! (2 base, 1 charge, 1 pistol/ccw), if you were mean and put a bike librarian nearby, they could have prescience and re reroll those misses.  I personally run the bike libby to prescience as insurance to re-roll the RWGL hits if they scatter too far.

More to that, if you run a mixed-wing setup with a bolter banner/tactical squad, those X bolter shots are wounding MEQs on 3s, pretty great stuff!

In a current edition where the discussions are dominated by heldrakes, tau lists, necron croissant and screamerstar demon lists, the Black Knights kind of fly under the radar.  Those who have faced them will tell you how good they are.

The synergy of the rad charge is huge.  Always fire those rad charges one at a time to see the result, if your first hits then you've now got the option to go stasis if you plan on assaulting a MEQ (that -1 initiative is an unappreciated debuff), or if the target is about to be assaulted by terminators.  Additionally, that rapid fire frag grenade is now wounding on 4s instead of 5s to a non-debuff MEQ.  It's a great way to force your opponent to keep rolling dice, even if they have the armor saves it's well worth it.  

More to that, your RWBKs can now charge MEQs and resolve HOW wounds on 3s, hit on 3s (if stasis), and wound on 2s, while each making 4 attacks each!! (2 base, 1 charge, 1 pistol/ccw), if you were mean and put a bike librarian nearby, they could have prescience and re reroll those misses.  I personally run the bike libby to prescience as insurance to re-roll the RWGL hits if they scatter too far.

More to that, if you run a mixed-wing setup with a bolter banner/tactical squad, those X bolter shots are wounding MEQs on 3s, pretty great stuff!

In a current edition where the discussions are dominated by heldrakes, tau lists, necron croissant and screamerstar demon lists, the Black Knights kind of fly under the radar.  Those who have faced them will tell you how good they are.

Maybe against chaff I can see using the Kraks or Frags, but that that point it seems more useful to just debuff with Rad/Stasis and plasma away.

Also, I thought HoW hits automatically, so you don't even need to roll to hit, and yes wounding on 3s if you had Rad hit as well.  With your normal HtH you now hit first, on 3's and wound on 2's with your Rending Corvus Hammers (I hear a choir singing praises after typing that).  I can see where the libby with Prescience would just make the unit a killer.

I am thinking of a GW/DW army, but since I have 6 RW bikers that I now want to convert into BKs, I want to try running a slight tri-wing, so they can use their telehomers with the DW to run major interference for my Dakka line.

The synergy of the rad charge is huge.  Always fire those rad charges one at a time to see the result, if your first hits then you've now got the option to go stasis if you plan on assaulting a MEQ (that -1 initiative is an unappreciated debuff), or if the target is about to be assaulted by terminators.  Additionally, that rapid fire frag grenade is now wounding on 4s instead of 5s to a non-debuff MEQ.  It's a great way to force your opponent to keep rolling dice, even if they have the armor saves it's well worth it.  

Maybe against chaff I can see using the Kraks or Frags, but that that point it seems more useful to just debuff with Rad/Stasis and plasma away.

Also, I thought HoW hits automatically, so you don't even need to roll to hit, and yes wounding on 3s if you had Rad hit as well.  With your normal HtH you now hit first, on 3's and wound on 2's with your Rending Corvus Hammers (I hear a choir singing praises after typing that).  I can see where the libby with Prescience would just make the unit a killer.

I am thinking of a GW/DW army, but since I have 6 RW bikers that I now want to convert into BKs, I want to try running a slight tri-wing, so they can use their telehomers with the DW to run major interference for my Dakka line.

yep they are automatically resolved.  The hits on 3s was referring to their initiative step attacks in the fight sub-phase (which again as you pointed out, opposing I4 units became I3, and will most likely not be able to attack back)

I'd be leery of tri-wing.  You end up spreading a lot of points out.  BKs as good as they are, cost nearly as much as terminators do and don't have the 2+ save, I run either GW/RW or GW/DW.  I've been trying RW/DW lists to work for me but can't really crack it.  There's always something I want but don't have the points for and end up wishing I took that over something else.

RWBK models ARE also kinda cool models over the standard bikes.

The synergy of the rad charge is huge. Always fire those rad charges one at a time to see the result, if your first hits then you've now got the option to go stasis if you plan on assaulting a MEQ (that -1 initiative is an unappreciated debuff), or if the target is about to be assaulted by terminators.

Err, I play Ravenwing, and I wouldn't allow this. Shooting happens simultaneously, so you're gonna need to tell me what everyone in the unit is shooting before you roll dice! (Unless there is a rule I've missed in the BRB, at which point I will be happy to be corrected)

smile.png

The synergy of the rad charge is huge. Always fire those rad charges one at a time to see the result, if your first hits then you've now got the option to go stasis if you plan on assaulting a MEQ (that -1 initiative is an unappreciated debuff), or if the target is about to be assaulted by terminators.

Err, I play Ravenwing, and I wouldn't allow this. Shooting happens simultaneously, so you're gonna need to tell me what everyone in the unit is shooting before you roll dice! (Unless there is a rule I've missed in the BRB, at which point I will be happy to be corrected)

smile.png

The the rule is for the RWGL that must be resolved before any other shooting, but, IMVHO the RWGL must be fired simultaneously.

Yep.  I was going to bring it up if nobody else did.  But it is a target priority choice.  If you really want to not charge the target and it must die from shooting, use both rad for insurance.  If you are going to charge it use one rad and one stasis...  (assuming two RWGLs)

The the rule is for the RWGL that must be resolved before any other shooting, but, IMVHO the RWGL must be fired simultaneously.

Just double checked, you and facmanpob are correct.  I did have that wrong, p13 BRB, you have to declare before rolling to hit regardless of whether all the dice are rolled at the same time.  Going to edit my post.

Luckily not too many of my opponents have been cheated by my bending of the rules, I generally run a bike libby with the command squad (only 1 RWGL anyway) or a 6 man BK squad.  They usually have prescience on them anyway so the rad charge almost always hits.

Archived