Shield Wall Tactic

Jostal

So ive been thinking about using a Command Squad equipped with Storm Shields and a Termi Assault Squad to create a "Shield Wall".

Behind my wall i would place a number of Tac Squads and sternguard to provide fire support. How well would this work? Im assuming good and bad?

Would enemy units still be able to shoot at the rear units? If so, would they get a cover save? How good would the cover save be?

Would the enemy units get a cover save if the rear units shoot at them through their "Shield Wall"?

I also plan to have a Jump squad nearby with a Captain/chpt Master and Librarian to either be a distraction or to hammer on anything too dangerous for my wall.

i currently have 1 Rhino that will ride with the Shield wall. And plan to have a rear line held up by an Aegis defense line with a Dread, Devys and Heavy Tacticals.

Thoughts?

To answer a few questions simply reread the rules for true line of sight and cover saves. If you can see the model at all (not including weapons and decorations) then you can shoot it, if it is at least 25% hidden by anything other than models in the same unit as the one firing then it gets a cover save. Also don't forget artillery weapons will ignore your shield wall.

If all you want is a wall, buy an Aegis. It's cheaper than squads with storm shields and protects more. Of course, it can't move.

That's what Landraiders are for.

This is actually a rather old tactic that was used a lot in 5th Ed. Basically, it was called the Thunder Bubble IIRC, and used a unit of 10 Hammernators to run in front of Rhinos etc. The idea was to prevent melta from getting in melta range, while potentially having a very durable unit give cover to the relatively fragile Rhinos behind, so the squads inside could continue to use their Rhinos as a mobile bunker. A rather static or slow moving concept, but when used effectively it could be very frustrating to deal with.

Where do i find Siege Vanguard Marines?

The Siege Assault Vanguard army list is found in Imperial Armour 10 from Forge World.

You can find descriptions of how the army works here:

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/6th_Edition_Tactics/Space_Marines/Siege_Assault_Vanguard

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/AlternativeFW/xlarge/boardex1.jpg

Archived