The most furious prime.

GhostMalone

Phase 2:

http://i.imgur.com/sRQAy3T.jpg

The MK IV chest is coming along, and looking around for some more inspiration, I knew Greyall would have something.

http://i.imgur.com/QGRs1Sp.jpg?1

I may shamelessly borrow/steal some ideas from this.

I like the modified MK III legs in his drawing, and doing that would save me the strain of trying to do all of that bloody trim and rivets that's normally on MK III. Greenstuff scales or flat armor plates over raised trim ANY DAY.

After working with a few of these DV Chaos Chosen, I gotta say that I really like the bigger, bulkier dimensions to them. I'm almost afraid to compare this guy to a FW MK IV marine.

Good sweet lord Kage, I never would've thought that level of conversion would be possible on such a heavily detailed chaos marine.  It'll be a long time before I get to that level of confidence in sculpting or even attempting a conversion like that.

Good sweet lord Kage, I never would've thought that level of conversion would be possible on such a heavily detailed chaos marine.  It'll be a long time before I get to that level of confidence in sculpting or even attempting a conversion like that.

It's a slippery slope, brother, lol. I've always had a difficult time building any kind of model, 40k or otherwise, straight from the box, and it's getting to the point that just about everything I do these days is a huge conversion of some kind. Like any sort of talent based skill, you start slow and gradually work in broader and broader strokes and when some crazy conversion idea works out, it's awesome. I've also ruined my fair share of models in the same way, up to a $50 Warmachine figure that I hope to salvage one of these days.

I just hope this one comes out close to what I imagine, since I'm going to attempt sculpting drake/dragon faces and I've never tried anything like that before.

When I first found out that a tragedy occured to prime and that he might leave this hobby forever, I was stunned. I may not know him personally, but I always looked forward to his projects. He had an amazing imagination, with the skills to bring them to life. Thank you Heathens for the clarification and update on the situation.

I must say that the community here at the B&C impresses me quite often with their generosity. This is definitely one of those times. I'll need to look at my bits to find any older mark armors so that I too can contribute. I'll get back to you guys shortly.

I was digging around the bits box for something to use for a hammer on this chappy, but (big surprise) I didn't like anything that I had at hand. Calling on vast reservoirs of power, ancient cogitators and rusted gears were coaxed back into life through diligent application of sacred oils and secret Mechanicum rites of Awakening, I put my brain meat to the task of coming up with something to make from scratch.

It didn't work.

That burning smell a little while ago? Yeah, the servitors are still working on putting out the flames from the cogitator banks. sad.png

Despondent, I sat at my work table, eyes unfocused while I considered the depth of my failure at this task. Then I happened to notice a rather large piece of sprue sitting nearby. I had secured various figure parts to the end of it in times past, usually marine heads, for priming. The profile had a pleasing shape. This could be promising! But no, it was too small to work like that. It needed something else.

AHA! If I cut two lengths of it and then glued the bottoms together... Brothers, it's Hammer Time!

http://i.imgur.com/oJ6iqMf.jpg

Obviously, the figure isn't the conversion I was working on, but the greenstuff on that guy is still wet, so I dug out another of the original figures so the scale is still the same. There were will be more decorations and a power cable and all that grimdark power weapon jazz, but what do you think of the shape and size?

I think that it would not hurt to get hit by something like that, but only because you would not survive the impact. Looks about the right size, and the maul shape makes a nice change to the usual hammer (it also suits the model being a chaplain). Nice find!

Ugh, this is all so confusing :pinch:

As I said, I cannot contribute models to this project, but I'll gladly paint models that someone else would be willing to contribute. With that in mind, do I put my name down anyway or not? Also, is there anyone who is ready to send me some models for me to paint? mikhail said he would, but I would like to have multiple options in case he isn't able to help out in the end (real life has that annoying ability to pounce on the unsuspecting at the worst times).

Ugh, this is all so confusing pinch.gif

As I said, I cannot contribute models to this project, but I'll gladly paint models that someone else would be willing to contribute. With that in mind, do I put my name down anyway or not? Also, is there anyone who is ready to send me some models for me to paint? mikhail said he would, but I would like to have multiple options in case he isn't able to help out in the end (real life has that annoying ability to pounce on the unsuspecting at the worst times).

i second that brother,

Brushes cleaned and willing

I wanted it to be a simple and brutal shape, but not so simple as a rectangle of metal on the end of a stick. I think this worked well, especially given the source material. biggrin.png

I'll be honest, I saw the pic first and thought it was modelling putty. Would never have guess it was sprues. Worked out well.

Brother Jaspcat, I get paid next week, at which point I shall place a (small) FW order. Once that arrives, I can put some stuff together, and see what looks best. Don't expect anything as brilliant as BCK's work, it'll just be a simple heavy support brother, with a slightly modded heavy bolter.

Kage, that hammer is simplistic in a good way, if memory serves their old chaplain character vulkan had a simple hammer as well.  It fits their character well, the tools dont have to be elegant looking, they just need to do the job; salamanders may be artificers but not every piece needs to be a visual masterpiece.

Have you looked at either lizardmen or dark elfs for scales/lizard heads for inspiration?

And I hear you about the slippery slope, I can't even look at a model at this point without thinking "well, If I cut that off, I could reposition it like this, maybe swap out this shoulderpad for this one, etc"  

Archived