My White Scars (Dark Angels Ravenwing) vs Orks

hardimanm

Had a 2000pt game this weekend vs a local player that uses Orks.  I usually have a lot of trouble winning against this army simply due to the large amount of orks he can field.  I usually try to cover the entire board and do a straight forward advance.  This works well for my Eldar...but not so much with the Ravenwing. Tried a new tactic of bunching up the entire army in a spearhead type of attack.

Here was my list.

HQ:  Sammael, and Int Chap on bike, RW Command Squand with Dakka pole

Troops: 3X 6 man RWAS w/ 2 melta guns, 1x 6 man RWAS w/ 2 plasma guns, 2 attack bikes w/ MM and 2 attack bikes w/ HB

Fast: 2 speeders with HB and Typhoons, Nephilim, Dark Shroud

Elite: Dreadnought w/ Plasma cannon and Missle launcher.

His basic army was Ghazkull and 5 mega armor nobs in truck, 2each 12 strong looter units, 2 dakka jets, and tons of boys.

I kept everyone close to the Dark Shroud and the Dakka pole and just moved in formation.  I put my objectives on his side of the board.  He choose to split his army and keep units near objectives.  

He moved Ghazzy and the Mega armor nobs up to directly assault my army.  They killed one bike unit and then the rest of my army completely destroyed them on the following turn.  I continued to sweep from right to left across the board killing each unit as i got close.  Once a unit was dwindled down a bit i would park them on an objective and have the rest of the army keep sweeping.  I also found that the HB attack bikes were great for holding objectives as I moved the bulk of the army across the board.

The nephilim worked wonders.  It downed one dakka jet and gave great supporting fire to the bikes to help soften up large units or finish off units that might be hiding.  The dreadnought was kinda out of place in this list.  He was left behind from turn 1.  I need to replace him with something faster or position him more toward the middle of my deployment area.  The dakka banner was amazing in the middle of all those bike.  

So i learned that keeping the Ravenwing together is a big key to there success.  They are not a divide then conquer type of army. 

Yeah kinda....we dakka banner-ed, plasma talon-ed, dreadnought-ed, land speeder-ed them nearly to death.  When i say that the entire army shot at them i meant it.  After all the shooting all that was left was Ghazthull with 1 wound.  The command squad, chaplain, and Sammael charged him and Sammael killed him in the challenge.  EPIC!

How do you feel about a pure ravenwing force? I feel it is the most stable of the pure wing tactics. Good toughness, great weapons, mobility and with more numbers than a pure Deathwing force. I am also looking to spend as little as possible starting over completely.

How do you feel about a pure ravenwing force? I feel it is the most stable of the pure wing tactics. Good toughness, great weapons, mobility and with more numbers than a pure Deathwing force. I am also looking to spend as little as possible starting over completely.

Well, RW is not what you want if you're on a bugdet. But ebay might come in handy for that.

The ravenwing is the most viable of the 3 wings i feel.  They have high toughness, some nice toys, great mobility, and flexibility.  With the ability to take 2 special weapons in each bike squad the units can really be customized.  The only place i feel they lack is long range heavy weapons for dealing with heavy armor.  This can be overcome by using attack bikes with multi meltas, melta guns in the bike squads or typhoon speeders.

As for what to get on a budget...ebay is best.  Look for the dark vengeance stuff.  You could easily get 3 bikes for $25 all day long.  That is much better than the $60 GW wants for a squad of 3 bikes.

Archived