Using pistol as CC weapon

hallodx

The story is, I was playing with my IG mate, and my VV with ax charged his guardsmen. I declare the guy with ax will use pistol in this combat so he can strike at I 4, but he insisted if my man take ax, he must use ax. I said that only work in WHFB ("I'm Using This One" rule if you ask), but not in 40K and pistol is a normal CC weapon.

We spent like 10 minutes arguing this and the die asked me to use ax, I used ax.

So here I want to make sure, that there's no rule restricting us from using pistol as CC weapon even if we have upgrades, right? Or if I'm wrong, maybe tell me the page number?

A pistol counts as a close combat weapon, and if you take multiple close combat weapons the rules state you can use whatever one you choose, but only use one(correct me if I'm wrong).

I'd say that no you don't have to use the axe, you use what ever one you want, otherwise whats the point of something taking multiple close combat weapons, such as the techmarine can take the harness and power axe and chooses which one to use.

Unlike the previous edition pistols are now simply counted as a close combat weapon in the assault phase. This means you can choose to wield it just as any model would wield a chainsword or a knife. I do not have the page number but it is in the weapon section.

Yeah I know that and I believe I was right, but he insist that "count as" only happen when claiming an extra attack, not as a CC weapon itself...that's why we ask the die for solution :-(

Pages 52 and 51 have the rules. They tell us that when a pistol is used in close combat it is to use the stat line for basic close combat weapons and ignore their own stats. It doesn't just "Count as" it is a close combat weapon. If you have two weapons with the melee rule that aren't specialized you gain a bonus attack, the pistol rules themselves no longer are what grant it like in 5th ed.

Actually, it has been faq'd to not be able to use a pistol when you have a cc weapon that has modifiers.  It stinks, and i hated to learn it with my blood angels as Dante has I5, and a power axe, but you can no longer choose to use the pistol rather than the axe.

Also if you have multiple close combat weapons, you can even split the attacks between them in a single assault phase.

I have not heard of that FAQ either. I will take a look later today when I get time.

That is not doable, only Horus from the heresy stuff can do that. Also there is no FAQ that says you can't use a bolt pistol as a melee weapon. The FAQ for Dante just states that he indeed has a power axe so his power weapon is unwieldy, you can still use the pistol as a weapon though.

Archived