Adopting the Fire Raptor

twopounder

Given the poor performance of our current fliers as compared to their point cost, is anyone considering using a Fire Raptor or two? It's being officially given out to all the chapters (no need to take allies). If you haven't read RC1, it's up on forgeworld right now.

You need to take an Interrogator-Chaplain if you want more than 1, but hey, twist my arm... It's not like taking an IC has a downside anyway :P. They're a bit pricey at 220 points, but that's only 40 points more than our Nephalim for a lot more armor and weapons. In the scheme of things, it's not even as much as a bare tactical squad in point difference to take 3 Fire Raptors instead of 3 Nephalim, and it adds a total of 9 more heavy bolters, better (and twin-linked) main gun, far FAR better missiles, PotMS, and the ability to fire at several targets with an insane amount of firepower.

I'm honestly very interested in a nice DA Fire Raptor conversion.

Mee too; except it's going to cost somewhere in the vicinity of $210 for each one. Three is going to hurt nearly as much as the unfinished Thunderhawk I own :P

They will probably nerf it a bit once it gets official rules, but still better the the Neph (on paper).

:D

stobz

Mee too; except it's going to cost somewhere in the vicinity of $210 for each one.

Thinking of adding one to my Forge World Christmas order... Will be a pretty awesome shipment! Fire Raptor, Storm Eagle, two Contemptors, Legion Outriders. And various bitz of course. Always various bitz...

Which will be expensive, but overall will be less than what I usually spend on myself for Christmas (though admittedly will be the most 'frivolous' one yet, since I historically buy 'big' things that have daily life benefits, like LASIK surgery or TradeMe shares).

I just got a chainsaw and a hedge trimmer attachment for my Birthday. I'm feeling a bit spoilt, so Christmas might be a non-event for me (I don't really celebrate that occasion anyway) :P

I will be saving up for some more toys in the new year either way. You sure sound like you are moving forward with helping FW survive the global financial crisis :D Nice collection of toys!!

Doing my part to keep the (admittedly, mostly British) economy ticking along, and keeping our posties and couriers employed.

And, if I'm honest with myself, it's less a collection of toys and more a collection of plastic and resin that will sit in my wardrobe for a couple of years... pinch.gif

I am curious as to why the Avenger Mega-Bolter is more powerful than the one mounted on the Nephillim Jetfighter but that's because I'm a bit of a fluff devil. I don't want to open yet another can of worms regarding the Nephillim, just seems like an odd decision; surely even Forge World must take into account established rules when creating stats and rules for their models?

Edit: Just re-read the entry and it's an Avenger Bolt Cannon as opposed to Avenger Mega-Bolter. A subtle distinction but I suppose it's an explanation nonetheless wallbash.gif

Sooooo, my biggest decision now is: do I ask the mother-in-law for a shiny new Fire Raptor for Christmas or do I stick with the first model in my Primarchs collection?

I will certainly be adding to my "growing" Air Force with 1 (to start with) of these bad boys!!!  Any idea when they are released?  FW site still doesn't show them in the SM Fliers section or the "New Stuff"... end of the month maybe?

So I was just over on FW drooling on the Storm Eagle (how many termies can it carry?), and it occurred to me to check the price of the Thawk...well, the exchange rate is a lot better, so it's $100 cheaper than 8 years ago...in spite of the fact that it's £50 more expensive now

So I was just over on FW drooling on the Storm Eagle (how many termies can it carry?), and it occurred to me to check the price of the Thawk...well, the exchange rate is a lot better, so it's $100 cheaper than 8 years ago...in spite of the fact that it's £50 more expensive now

The storm eagle may carry 10 termis... That's why IMO, it's a lot better than the fire raptor...

I couldn't agree more!  I found my printout of the rules.  The 300 point version looks especially tasty with two godhammers and a twinlinked multimelta...drop the termies, use the POTMS to fire the pieplate, and meanwhile fire some serious antitank stuff at some poor, doomed heavy support choice!  Sadly, since I've been planning the purchase of a Thawk in 2022 since 2005, two storm eagles are better than a single thunderhawk for cheaper...unless you want a flier with a D weapon!  Still....what's cooler than a Thunderhawk swooping onto an APOC table with a thunderbolt off each wing to keep the cheap new fliers that are being spammed into each new codex off of the transport while it drops off a few titanhammer squads and then lines up for a turbolaser shot?

The storm eagle may carry 10 termis... That's why IMO, it's a lot better than the fire raptor...

I doubt I would run one in a DW list. Each one removes an entire squad of terminators. Ravenwing, on the other hand, need it much more to keep bale flamers off their backs.

Well, there are two valid methods to increase the number of men left standing at the end of a fight.  First is to take more men in the first place.  Clearly, you are using this approach.  The other approach is to make your men harder to kill.  Both storm eagles and land raiders accomplish this.

I think for this purpose, as cool as the storm eagle is, the land raider is better.  AV14 just beats the pants off of AV12, even when most shooting only hits the AV12 on 6s.  Add in the ability to take "deathwing vehicle" on land raiders, but not storm eagles, and the ability to give the land raiders a 4+ invulnerable save, and it's just no contest.  I know that both of these cost points, but my storm eagle(s) would be armed with godhammers and TLMM at 300 points each, versus 280 for a deathwing crusader...and the cost of the PFG bearer can't be charged 100% to the cost of the land raider(s), it's still a separate unit with the ability to fight, contest objectives, etc, even if you did field it as part of the crusader package.

Also, and more importantly, land raiders can start the game on the board without being sitting ducks, contributing, along with their contents, to the required 50%.  Storm Eagles, on the other hand, almost certainly have to start in reserves, so it becomes a matter of DWA or storm eagles...and there's no way you're bringing both land raiders and storm eagles in a regular game of 40k...in APOC, on the other hand...yum!

So I'm loving the storm eagles aesthetically, and I think they're a more than viable terminator delivery system that also blows enemy fliers out of the sky with ease, but they don't fit my play style, since I'm not a fan of terminators walking out of my deployment zone, and I gotta have half my army on the board to start.

/edit/

As Twopounder says, but for a different reason, maybe in a RW list...a ravenwing list with deathwing support.  The steagle comes on in turn N, blows the enemy flier off the board, and in N+1, knights charge off the ramp!  Better than DWA!

The storm eagle is way too expensive if it has a worthwhile amount of firepower. About the only advantage is that you can have 6 units come in from reserves without counting towards your maximum number, unless I'm mistaken. I believe it works that way. At 220 points, the Fire Raptor has an insane amount of fire power out of the box. Since I run mostly pure Ravenwing, adding 80 points for a transport that won't be transporting any models is also costing me half of a bike squad.

Besides that, I'm not big on transports, so on a personal level the Fire Raptor is more efficient for me.

Archived