Adopting the Fire Raptor

twopounder

Yeah, if you're not using the assault ramp, the fire raptor is better...but 300 points for a steagle is a bargain compared to, what, 750 (IIRC), for a Thunderhawk.  Seriously, you get TWO fully pimped steagles for less than the points cost (and half the $$$ cost) of a Thawk...and you lose...D weapon cool factor?  Seriously, they fill exactly the same role with a slightly smaller payload (and no ability to load multiple units) at 40% of the points cost.  And with dual godhammers and TLMM, yes, they cost 300 points...but they can make back half of that on arrival by smoking one average tank (or an aircraft...two S9 and one melta hit?  That's insta-gib territory!).  The flying transport with capacity for 10 termies plus the pieplate definitely justify the other 150 points...but, yeah, if you're not using the transport function, definitely go for the fire raptor.  It looks amazing (I'm not a fan of the vengeance launcher being mounted on the back of the roof...it just doesn't make sense in that location!), and it oozes firepower.

• 2 weeks later...

No problem! thumbsup.gif

That extra full stop in my previous comment makes it look like I'm getting all internet-rhetorical, but I wasn't!

On-topic, I'm quite a fan of the Fire Raptor. Not only is it priced competitively with the Storm Raven (pretty much my measuring stick for power armour flyers), it doesn't have a transport capacity, so I don't feel that I'm 'over-paying' for it by not taking another expensive unit to sit inside it.

Autocannons in the turrest for me, being able to take down other flyers is more appealing to me than strafing some infantry.

I love the autocannon turrets in concept, but the barrels are comically long in practice.  I'd have to stick with the HB just for the sake of aesthetics, although I'd probably ask my opponents for "counts as" permissions!

Ironwithout will you be uploading pics of this glorious beast of a flyer to the B&C?

In the interest of keeping the thread nice and tidy I have posted some pics in this thread already.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/281895-fire-raptor-experimental-rules/page-2

Scroll further down the thread for more.

It will be getting painted for my Angels of Redemption as part of the tale of 16 gamers.

Ironwithout will you be uploading pics of this glorious beast of a flyer to the B&C?

In the interest of keeping the thread nice and tidy I have posted some pics in this thread already.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/281895-fire-raptor-experimental-rules/page-2

Scroll further down the thread for more.

It will be getting painted for my Angels of Redemption as part of the tale of 16 gamers.

wow, brainfart on my end- I forgot that you posted those in the experimental rules thread; thought it was someone else. Mea Culpa!

I love the autocannon turrets in concept, but the barrels are comically long in practice.  I'd have to stick with the HB just for the sake of aesthetics, although I'd probably ask my opponents for "counts as" permissions!

Shortening the autocannon barrels would be pretty easy, all things considered.

Not always;  By the time you get into the range of free shipping (and you don't need a lot of Forgeworld to get there) you're up to the level where the import taxes can be upwards of 30% you need to budget those things...

Paul

Disruptor, that's why he's been bumped from friend to acquaintance right? Friends don't censored.gif on their friend's parades.

No no, friends look out for you and make sure you don't end up paying an extra $250 for no good reason, so he's definitely all good in my book (and my plans are still going forward, just in smaller steps)!

Archived