Forge World...where to start

Crazy Jay

The rules for most forge world stuff is found in expensive forge world books... And your opponent decides what forge world stuff you are allowed to use, if it isn't a forge world model that has rules in your codex (like forge world drop pods and venerable dreadnoughts)

But don't let that stop you. I spent $275 and 60 hours on a centerpiece model for my WFB empire army knowing full well that I'd probably never get to use it in a game.

The rules for most forge world stuff is found in expensive forge world books... And your opponent decides what forge world stuff you are allowed to use, if it isn't a forge world model that has rules in your codex (like forge world drop pods and venerable dreadnoughts)

But don't let that stop you. I spent $275 and 60 hours on a centerpiece model for my WFB empire army knowing full well that I'd probably never get to use it in a game.

No, your Opponent don´t decide what you´re allowed to use. Meanwhile the FW stuff is official chapter approved by GW. Take a look at the introduction in the FW books. You should explain the Special rules for the units you will use to him. But you don´t need his permission.

No, your Opponent don´t decide what you´re allowed to use. Meanwhile the FW stuff is official chapter approved by GW. Take a look at the introduction in the FW books. You should explain the Special rules for the units you will use to him. But you don´t need his permission.

This is a can of worms.  Please, lets not open it here.  

Strong opinions regarding how Forgeworld is played vary from person to person.  There is no right answer, feel it out before you commit.  

In regards to what can be used by DA from Forgeworld;

My favorite thing is the Mortis Dreadnought and the Contemptor (Mortis and non).  The Dreadnought Chaplains are a cool model.   Dreadnought Drop Pods are cool, as are Storm Eagles.  

For bigger games; the Thunderhawk looks like a bad-ass model.  I really hope to afford one someday.  Considering it's price tag + a case to carry it in, yeesh.   I also like some of the Land Raider Variants they sell.  Achilles is probably my favorite.  

Take a look, there is plenty around.

Best,

Paul

I'm with Paul, the FW Dreads are really badass and can be used in 'normal' 40k games as dex units. That is a safe place to start.

But for what it's worth: If your opponent doesn't want to play you with your models then no loss, find a new opponent. biggrin.png

I'm in agreement that the FW books themselves say that they're okay. Is it wrong to warn the original poster that there are people, especially, but not limited to, tournament organizers, who will not let you use most FW kit? If I were the OP, that's precisely something I'd like to be told. Telling him "go ahead, the sky is the limit" instead of "you may from time to time be unable to use some FW vehicles" would do him no favors! I'm not telling him whether or not he can use a fleet of repressors against me, I'm telling him the simple truth that there is disagreement on the topic, and to keep that in mind. I buy FW with no expectation of being able to use it any time I want to, but if he is more of a gamer than a collector and hobbyist, then the existence of the controversy matters. Don't conceal that information just because you wish the controversy didn't exist!

I don't think its concealing March. I think a quick hey make sure your opponent knows is fine but I can see the other side as well. The Forge World debate gets tiresome after the fiftieth post you read on here. You know (or will find out soon if your a noob) what your gaming group does or does not allow with forge world. But a warning isn't that big a deal I don't think. However starting the debate for the 1000th time (that I've been on Bolter and I haven't been here that long) could be seen as a oh no not again point of view I think.

DoC

And if you can wait for it, there is an updated FW book coming before christmas that will include rules for all current 6th edition 40K SM vehicles.

Rumours even state HH vehicles will be allowed in 40k games. If you look at the Fire Raptor gunship pdf rules on the FW website, this will be true, usable as 'relics'.

For every vehicle they do (even in pdfs), they state clearly which armies can include them, and yes the DA's can use all.

Hopefully you and/or your gaming group are willing to give FW a go. Surely you don't need anyone telling you how awesome they look!!

thumbsup.gif

Cod

There are some very nice Forge World models. I have mainly bought alternate DA doors for my vehicles, terminator shoulder-pads, various Dreadnoughts and some of the alternate marine armour sets to add variety to my army (older marks are in keeping with the background of the DA as the oldest marine force, in my opinion).

I am a huge fan of FW models, my plans with them is just to use them to make unquie characters for my chapter. And also use some just to add some older mks of armour into chapter instead of having only the out of box models.Thou I don't play alot at my local GW. I play at a buddies house, so we can take our time playing and also have some beers and pizza. We just deside before we make our lists, if we are going to use FW model.

I have not purchased any FW yet.  I love the looks of the models, particularly as has been mentioned the older models of power armor/weps for the Legions.

That being said, two things have kept me away from FW.  Biggest one is price.  Unless it at some point either starts working with plastic or the cost comes down for some other reason, I'm not shelling out $113.00 for a single rule book, no matter how awesome the models or fluff mayble (I'm looking at you HH books!) let alone for the models.

The other reason is having browsed the rules they have for free in PDF, having watched Bat Reps using their models/rules vs. standard 40k dexes, and having been on the end of one FW Dred (not sure which one anymore but it had a 5++ ontop of some other silliness) I am of the camp that is convinced they are just fanboy super-units pretending to be balanced 40k units.  I know GW isn't always great on unit balance, but I have gotten the impression that FW doesn't even try.  I'm not even sure if they are balanced vs. other FW units, let alone standard 40k.  Also given that I think the number of persons with FW units is ratio wise much lower than everyone else, I can see why a tourney would just say no and not try to sort out how to make them work in standard 40k (which I think cannot be done as they currently stand anyways!).

I agree with march10k that if I were to buy the models, I would not be expecting to field them in a game.

Well Instantkarma, I have a close approach click here to see...)

I consider that FW is a nice testbed for GW units that may come in further year and also nice alternative model (chaplain dread for venerable).

Then I think that the OP models can be nice to re-balance a weak list. For example I've already played a contemptor Mortis Kherson with cyclone ML with a list including nephilim and other things...

So there are lots of rooms for FW models...

MKIII Armour - it's great for the DA as we use ancient items and I love the knightly look of MKIII.

FW vehicles are a long way off for me yet.

While we're on the topic...anyone have a copy of Imperial Armor Aeronautica?  The book's description specifies that it has the rules for the storm eagle in it, and it has a pic of a page of fluff about a thunderbolt squadron, but it doesn't say whether or not it has the rules for the thunderbolt.  As a prospective buyer, "contains fully updated 6th Edition rules for 34 flyers and 13 anti-aircraft units" is completely useless information if I'm interested in specific units.  FW really needs to do a better job of cross-referencing models and rules.  The Thunderbolt model description says the rules are in IA:APOC, but does that mean they're not also in other books?  The PDF for the steagle says "experimental," are the rules for it in Aeronautica official?  Too many questions.  If I'm going to spend $300 on two models, I don't want "imperial sanction not yet granted," and I don't want to buy a separate $60 rule book for each of them, that brings the price tag to over $200 per model...for something I'll use maybe three times a decade, in an APOC game.

Thunderbolt Fighter, page 9.Go forth and spend in confidence March.

Edit:I just realised how ambiuous that was in the context of your several queries. The Thunderbolt is in IA:Aeronautica, it is NOT also in the new IA:Apoc. Also; there are some changes already between points and rules for other units in both books and I'm sure between the GW Apoc book which I have yet to buy (Too busy and broke with my farm for too many new books)

No worries, I am getting a bit fed up with FW myself (and I am a self confessed fan boy) and their shonky repeat/replace process.

At the front of the newest IA Apoc for example they say that it replaces Apoc II and Apoc Second Edition but fails to include all the units from those books :rollseyes: They must be either in the GW Apoc book or you will still need those books for 10% of their models. Grrrrr.

To the OP; just be careful of which books you buy during this transition period or you will end up with at least three different rules sets for the same models and a whole lot of spare bricks.

Archived