Old guy getting back in the game.

Nictheshadowfox

Typically I tend to ignore flyers unless my Black Knights can get in range of their rear armor, otherwise toss a prescience Librarian attached to either a Flakk Missile or Lascannon devastator in a Quad-Gun Aegis.

Vengeance Speeder is worth its weight if you are smart and make it work for you. i.e. Prescience the bloody thing and don't forget to deep strike it or keep it in range of a Darkshroud or PFG.

I usually ignore enemy fliers. They're expensive, non-scoring, and even the shooty ones can generally only target one thing at a time. If I need to deal with one, four twin linked lascannons generally does the trick within 2 turns. That's reasonable, IMHO.

Welcome back to the fold. My personal opinion and style is to place 2 Meltaguns and a Attack Bike with Multi Melta all for 155 pts. This lets me have fast moving and if I place it well a good second turn melta shot with scout moves etc. Pretty hard to beat especially for the points and they are all toughness 5 so not the easiest to kill either. As stated above the Ravenwing Black Knights are the best plasma if you aren't using green wing. If you want some plasma cannons the terminators can bring a few if you want.

Once again welcome and if you have questions let us know!

For the Lion

I wouldn't use the vengeance personally. It can't Sky Fire if I remember right (away from codex) so at best your hitting on 6's with only three shots? The other problem is the damn thing only has 2 Hull Points so there is a good chance in two rounds of shooting of your gets hot wrecking the thing (In case you aren't aware any plasma cannon or gun on a vehicle gets hot like a regular marine, if it does the vehicle loses a hull point). If you really like the vengeance by all means bring it. Some like the Nephilim fighter others don't. I enjoy it but if it kills a helldrake I would do a stupid dance around the LGS or house or where ever I was playing. Dark Shroud can help certain things but the helldrake is so damn hard to beat its almost wrong to bring more than one. I've used Four Missile Launcher Devastators with a Prescience Libby shooting at two along with Four Lascannon Devastators and it does wonders for me. I don't run a ton of Ravenwing though either. Some don't like the Lascannon Missile Launcher option but it does help me a bunch.

DoC

The only things we have with skyfire in our codex are the Flakk Missile option on Devastators or the Nephilim Jet Fighter. If you don't mind allies you could ally in a Storm Talon from the regular space marine codex. I have no idea how often you will see a Helldrake in your meta so I can't help with that. As others have stated the Ravenwing Black Knights are actually really good for shooting down Air Craft. I took on Necrons with five flyers and all I brought was four missile launchers and a libby and it did really well for me. I also have two landspeeders with a Multi Melta and Heavy Flamer that I deepstrike in. My gaming group hates them both since they are a grand total of 140 pts and they always blow up or ruin a unit. So personally I can say love the speeders not a big fan of the typhoon myself but I know a lot of people on here are. What I've found is when the enemy looks at your speeders wrong they die. If you like flyers then like I said ours is pretty nice though the $75 price tag is murder. I found two new ones on ebay for about $40 each so I was friggin happy as hell. We aren't massively flyer heavy in my gaming group so it really comes down to what you'll have to deal with. If you plan to play tournies then I would expect flyers for the flyer god.

edit: PS I forgot if you don't mind forge world there is the Whirlwind Hyperios which fires a BS4 Str 8 shot at flyers. Or you could use the new Heavy Support anti flyer tanks.

I use lascannon devastators with a librarian who has prescience and a PFG. That effectively gives me eight S9 shots that need 6s to hit.

/edit/

The dev squad isn't primarily there to kill fliers, four twinlinked lascannons make a pretty good tank-killer.  AV14 is threatened, AV13 is usually penetrated, and AV12 and down doesn't have a prayer.  But...with eight shots at getting that 6 to hit, and S9 AP2, its hits are significantly more likely to penetrate, and if they do, the +1 on the damage table is a nice bonus!

I also forgot Mortis Dreadnought from Forge World is always mentioned.

Yes, yes! There shall be no DA AA discussion without the mention of one! I have another one of those in the mail as we speak. smile.png

In Mortis we trust.

One nice (or cheesy, depending on your point of view) thing about the FW mortis is that it's just as good against ground targets as against air targets...therefore, you have very little reason not to field one, they really up your aid defense game without any downside whatsoever.

Azrael is the only thing that makes tri-wing possible.  As for dual wing, it depends on which two wings.  For black/white, I would take either Belial or Sammy, not Azzy.  Azzy is problematic when your army is all bikes and terminators.  You end up spending even more points (he's expensive enough!) on a unit for him...a unit that you wouldn't be taking otherwise.

If you're going green/white or green/black, he's a good choice, I guess.  I'd probably go with Belial for white/green lists, his scatter-free deepstrike ability is too good to pass up, and he's a little cheaper than Azzy.  For green/black...probably Azrael.  Sammy just isn't attractive to me in a list that isn't pure ravenwing.

Honestly I like Azzy for mainly Greenwing. It allows me to not worry about leadership so I can save points on the Sarges plus he can provide a good 4++ to a unit you want to stay alive and he's not bad in Hand to Hand as long as you don't go against someone's Hand to hand beast. But personally I always found that fighting a hand to hand unit is pretty dumb I'd rather just shoot it with plasma until it dies or is ineffective. Doesn't always work of course but its nice to try.

DoC

Archived