Old guy getting back in the game.

Nictheshadowfox

I haven't used the pyro on a Libby yet so I can't honestly state. I had an idea of a Termi Libby with Belial and a 2 Heavy Flamer squad. Give the Libby Prescience and Pyromancy with the heavy flamer power and watch as three Templates fry on first turn with no deepstrike scatter. Anything behind an Aegis Defense line would die with that I think. But I haven't had a chance to run it. Other than that my thought is that a Libby is more support. Two wounds hurts and unless you have a serious unit to help them out or give them a Storm Shield and Termi armor they are going to die fairly quickly. Now if I put one in a unit of say five Death Wing Knights in a Land Raider Crusader along with a Interregator Chaplain in Termi armor I think you would find an enjoyable offensive guy. However I'd buy him Master Level 2 so he has two powers (first being prescience second being whatever you want of course). There are other people on here who swear and use Libby's left right center and all day long. But aside from the support of Dev's or a hard hitting unit I'm not a big personal fan. I like a Company Master or Chappy smacking into stuff but I suppose they only get one or two good thumps on units so it probably balances out for the Libby. The other great thing about the libby is how cheap they are in power armor. I'd never send one into close combat if I can avoid it since anything with two wounds seems to fall over as soon as someone opens the door but that's me.

DoC

How's this army?

Selections:

Dark Angels 6th Ed (FAQ April 2013) (Primary Detachment) Selections:

+ HQ + (200pts)

* Sammael (200pts) (Codex: Dark Angels 6th p58)

(Warlord Trait: Rapid Manoeuvre)

Night Halo

* Corvex (Jetbike) (Codex: Dark Angels 6th p59)

(Hit & Run, Independant Character, Scouts, Skilled Rider)

Adamantine Mantle (Eternal Warrior), Frag and Krak Grenades, Inner Circle (Fearless, Preferred Enemy (Chaos Space Marines)), Plasma Cannon, Power Armour, Raven Sword, Teleport Homer, Twin Linked Storm Bolter

+ Troops + (1670pts)

* Ravenwing Attack Squadron (Troops) (336pts)

(And They Shall Know No Fear, Hit & Run, Ravenwing Combat Squads, Scouts)

Bolt Pistol, Frag and Krak Grenades, Grim Resolve (*, Stubborn), 2x Meltagun (20pts), Power Armour, 5x Ravenwing Biker (135pts), Teleport Homer, Twin-linked Boltgun

* Attack Bike (55pts)

Multi Melta (10pts)

* Land Speeder (85pts)

(Deep Strike)

Multi Melta (10pts), Typhoon Missile Launcher (25pts)

* Ravenwing Sergeant (41pts)

Power Lance (15pts)

* Ravenwing Attack Squadron (Troops) (326pts)

Bolt Pistol, 2x Flamer (10pts), Frag and Krak Grenades, Grim Resolve (*, Stubborn), Power Armour, 5x Ravenwing Biker (135pts), Teleport Homer, Twin-linked Boltgun

* Attack Bike (55pts)

Multi Melta (10pts)

* Land Speeder (85pts)

(Deep Strike)

Power Lance (15pts)

* Ravenwing Attack Squadron (Troops) (346pts)

Bolt Pistol, Frag and Krak Grenades, Grim Resolve (*, Stubborn), 2x Plasmagun (30pts), Power Armour, 5x Ravenwing Biker (135pts), Teleport Homer, Twin-linked Boltgun

* Attack Bike (55pts)

Multi Melta (10pts)

* Land Speeder (85pts)

(Deep Strike)

Power Lance (15pts)

* Ravenwing Attack Squadron (Troops) (336pts)

Bolt Pistol, Frag and Krak Grenades, Grim Resolve (*, Stubborn), 2x Meltagun (20pts), Power Armour, 5x Ravenwing Biker (135pts), Teleport Homer, Twin-linked Boltgun

* Attack Bike (55pts)

Multi Melta (10pts)

* Land Speeder (85pts)

(Deep Strike)

Power Lance (15pts)

* Ravenwing Attack Squadron (Troops) (326pts)

Bolt Pistol, 2x Flamer (10pts), Frag and Krak Grenades, Grim Resolve (*, Stubborn), Power Armour, 5x Ravenwing Biker (135pts), Teleport Homer, Twin-linked Boltgun

* Attack Bike (55pts)

Multi Melta (10pts)

* Land Speeder (85pts)

(Deep Strike)

Power Lance (15pts)

+ Fast Attack + (100pts)

* Ravenwing Darkshroud (100pts)

(Deep Strike, Icon of Old Caliban, Scouts, Shroud of Angels)

Assault Cannon (20pts)

While I am not a Ravenwing only guy by any stretch (I believe March10k is though) I'll say the squads don't look bad though I would change one whole squad to a Ravenwing Black Knights squad of at least 6 guys and have two grenade Launchers in there. They will be your hand to hand hammer unit (no pun intended) let them smack something pretty hard and the Twin Link Plasma Talons are murder. Read their rules carefully in the codex though. The grenade launcher especially. What you end up doing is reducing a targets toughness by -1 then reduce their initiative and weapon skill by -1 using the two grenade launchers (and if some how you miss with the first grenade shoot the second one as a reduce toughness grenade as well) you then get a 9" rapid fire twin link plasma gun so you can instant death marines with a toughness of 4 reduced to toughness 3. Whatever survives the four plasma talons shooting will then get charged by them and have strength 5 hammers with rending. These are usually 4 attacks per bike so were talking 24 of these plus you get one Hammer of Wrath per bike. They are expensive but damn are they worth it. Then you can hit and run away and do it again to the same or another unit.

So yeah mostly looks good to me just add the Black Knights and ensure they get the charge on something. If you really want the Speeder they can be bought as another fast attack slot. If not use the points saved from a speeder and attack bike and buy a Libby on a bike. If you want offensive as you asked earlier I'd give him a Mace of Redemption (+3 Strength and AP3) and pyro with prescience and attach him to the Black Knights or whatever unit you plan on being your hand to hand guys. He'd wreck some serious face that way. Toughness five wouldn't hurt either.

Some like the Interregator Chaplain for this role on a bike as well (he does have an extra wound and an automatic 4+ invulnerable save) I guess its up to you though.

Also two things. Don't forget you can take a command squad and give them a Banner of Devastation which would let your normal bikes fire their bolters and salvo 2/4 and they would still have the plasma talon guns. Plenty of guys swear by this with a bike army. I've never tried it so I have no idea.

How are offensive librarians? Pyro, etc

If you could freely choose your psychic power, you could make a pretty mean combat libby...but with the wrong random power, they're pretty much useless.  Therefore, I would only recommend a support libby, not a fighting one.  Company masters and interrogator chaplains both have superior melee statlines.

/edit/

I agree that the list is solid.  I, too, would recommend substituting black knights for one of the squadrons.  And...I'd recommend dropping the assault cannon from the darkshroud, and maybe getting a second one.  It's unfluffy to have two...but legal.

I have been debating between dark angels or codex space marines. I need help deciding which one. When I last played I was thinking of making an "academy" type chapter where I could use any codex or chapter I want and not be dedicated to one specific army. Dark angels give me all bike and all termie armies. Codex space marines let me use more stuff. I need help lol.

C:UM doesn't give you all that much more stuff, but they do let you do bike armies, just like DA.  So I would ask, are you interested in scoring terminators?  That's not the only difference between the two books, but it is an important one. 

I fully agree with March on this one. For Greenwing you can do pretty much anything from C:SM minus Sternguard and Thunder Fires and Grav Centurions. Other than that now that Vanguard Vets have lost the ability to charge after deepstrike I would say you aren't missing out on much. I love sternguard by the way and I say this. Our Company Vets can carry all Combi's like sternguard can. Plus they can better set up for a all around hand to hand and shooting all in the same unit.

The terminator thing is very important. We can bring Plasma Cannons on our Deathwing and while more expensive only our Terminators can Twin Link when the Deep Strike in. Plus Belial is pretty awesome. He can have any of the three load outs you want for a Termi Captain plus he can have plenty of scoring terminator friends.

Ravenwing can be debated but I would say our Black Knights and Death Wing Knights are impossible to compare nothing in C:SM can match it.

We do lose out in the flyer department. our librarian has prescience which is huge to help out with our shooting.

Power Armor is pretty much equal. Scouts are the same but they have Land Speeder storms for transport.

And lastly the anti flyer department is covered with two tanks that aren't that awesome from what I hear. But they do the job. Our anti flyer is flakk devastators or nephilim as well as black knights.

Lastly we have mortis Dreadnoughts for anti air to cover.

My 2 cents it comes down to which back ground you like more. And honestly if you want you can use both C:SM and DA just calling the C:SM guys a do it yourself Green chapter.

Archived