Company Master wargear idea

Daddymoroz

Unless you place him in an assault squad his pack is out of place as it limits bikers from turbo boosting, doesn't help if he's in a foot slogging tac unit, he can't fit in a transport and he shouldn't be alone outside of a unit.

As we all know our assault squads aren't that great. As their cost vs their abilites pale compared to other units. Against weak CC units they do ok, but against anything else they fall short.

Are you getting FNP from the shroud?

Maybe ditching the jump pack and attach him to a DWK unit? I dunno i haven't really found a role for a company master that someone else doesn't do either better or cheaper. Unlike C:SM our relic options aren't that great and our special character are almost always better than anything we can make, unless you're looking for a super cheap HQ.

Unlike other codexes pretty much all of our HQ options are more army support compared to combat

Juggernaughts.

Sounds nice but too expensive for my tastes.

I run mine with Artificer Armour and a Power Sword, then stick him in a unit of Company Veterans and put them all in a Land Raider. Granted, my real life issues mean that I've only managed two games since our new codex dropped but in one of those games this unit managed to put down Dante and his retinue of Sanguinary Guard as well as a Flesh Tearer Assault Squad. All in Melee too. The lack of AP2 Melee weapons in 6th means that even with a simple Power Sword and Artificer Armour, the Company Master isn't terrible.

I don't see anything wrong with our assault squads. They cost basically the same as a tactical squad, but they're mobile, hit harder in melee, and what's wrong with two flamers? Granted, almost anything they can do, ravenwing can do better, but they are not the overpriced garbage that they used to be. If RW wasn't the new hotness, jumpers would be filling many of their roles. Jumpers are that great...but the men in black are greater still!

Atm i am usuing librarian on bike, 3++ field, axe, 2 lvl, auspex (150 points)

But i like the idea to have very mobile jumping company master, if only shroud gives eternal instead of uselless FNP =((

SM Captain can have these and more for less points and eternal =(

Nice set up, like the idea of a jump pack close combat master.

I'm looking into a Master with Term armour, Storm Shield, Monster slayer of caliban and a relic just to see how much damage this can cause (may have to add in the shroud of heroes to make him more survivable).

Not a cheap model in terms of points cost but an awesome one to look at!

I know its not very sensible, as most people I know use space marines (so the ATSKNF rule), but If it gives me that one turn where the enemy WS drops to 1 in a few games it will be worth the points.

And I have a cool idea to put both the master and the watcher onto one base, so the rules are there lets give it a try :D

A bit too pricey for what he can do.  Azrael costs less, and is more of a unit force multiplier.  You could also take Ezekiel and another Librarian for that price, or nearly an entire Deathwing Terminator Squad.  Those all make for better support choices. 

Not quite as expensive as Azrael.  I've been mulling over a very similar Company Master, mostly because I have an idea for a really cool looking conversion and paint job.

Company Master w/ TDA, Monster Slayer, combi-plasma, storm shield, digital weapons - 206 points

There's some questionable expense there, though. I could drop the combi-plasma and storm shield instead of the power sword, saving 21 points and gaining +1 attack, but losing any ranged attack and the 3++. But most importantly for my purposes, the resulting model wouldn't look as cool :)

I really like the Monster Slayer of Caliban, but I wonder sometimes if GW screwed up and switched the prices for the Slayer and MoR. The Slayer is too expensive at 45 points while the MoR is too cheap at 30...

@ FerociousBeast: I like your Master! To save some points, you could drop the MSoC to a lightning claw instead. Wouldn't lose much, saves 30pts, and would look like the old John Blance artwork of the DA Company Master from way back.

I really like the Monster Slayer of Caliban, but I wonder sometimes if GW screwed up and switched the prices for the Slayer and MoR. The Slayer is too expensive at 45 points while the MoR is too cheap at 30...

MSoC should have been 25pts IMO. MoR maybe needs a little bump to 35pts. Since I'm at it, Blade of Caliban needs to lose unwieldy and maybe gain either Speciaist Weapon or Two Handed instead. Wow, anyone would think balancing these things is hard or something! sweat.gif

Since we're spitballing Masters here, can DA take power lances (I assume so...?) and would one be any good on an HQ with a jump pack? Or a bike? Probably very niche, but there's a kightly quality to that power weapon and, as it's potentially fluffy, I'm curious! tongue.png

A TDA Master can't take a claw, only a sword. Bummer.

Balls, I missed that one!

A PA Master can take a Power weapon, that includes a Lance I guess, coolio. But because he can't also take a bike the whole Knightly steed thing is lessened.

biggrin.png

stobz

Yeah, I know Masters can't have bikes - that's Sammy's job afterall! :P

Still, would a Master with power lance and jump pack be worthwhile at all? What about another HQ? Would any DA model be worth taking a power lance on?

I guess a Master would be quite effective with a Lance, with a JP it would look AWESOME!!! Angels of Death after all biggrin.png

There are certainly better options than the Master in our Dex, but we don't have to take the mostest/bestest everytime now do we?

I'm already picturing a Master in JP emerging from my bits box.....yummy

I guess a Master would be quite effective with a Lance, with a JP it would look AWESOME!!! Angels of Death after all biggrin.png

There are certainly better options than the Master in our Dex, but we don't have to take the mostest/bestest everytime now do we?

I'm already picturing a Master in JP emerging from my bits box.....yummy

Yes, yeeees! That's the sprirt! ;)

I'm looking into a Master with Term armour, Storm Shield, Monster slayer of caliban and a relic

"and a relic?" ????

I know its not very sensible, as most people I know use space marines (so the ATSKNF rule), but If it gives me that one turn where the enemy WS drops to 1 in a few games it will be worth the points.

And I have a cool idea to put both the master and the watcher onto one base, so the rules are there lets give it a try biggrin.png

...my point was that the Monster Slayer of Caliban is a relic. So I'm confused about what you mean by "and a relic."

Has anybody actually used the monster slayer of Caliban? Any wisdom to impart?

Well, it's a powersword with +1S for the most part... It's actually perfectly good (since the worst case scenario is that you roll a "1" and it is "just" a plain old power sword). The real issue is its eye-watering, point-busting price tag of 45 points! Not sure a dodgy 1-in-3 chance of getting Instant Death is worth 30 points personally, especially if you don't know what it'll do until after you've committed to combat. I mean, when the chips are down, that's a sure-fire way for fate to kick your character in the crotch, especially if you roll dice like I do. :(

If the sword had been:

1 - Power Sword with Instant Death

2-5 - Power Sword with Instant Death and +1S

6 - Power Sword with Instant Death and x2S

I'd have been all over that like a rash, even at 45-55 points!

Sadly, it's an overpriced slightly-better powersword for the most part, and that means that even risking the points in a challenge is... Well, a big gamble. In terms of rules, if you treat it as slightly better powersword that occasionally gives you a bonus, I can't see much wrong with it.

Doh!  I forgot that company masters can take one of those...seems kind of pointless, honestly.  Fear is perhaps the least useful USR in the book, and even with Adamantium Will, stopping a psychic power is unlikely to happen more than .5 times per game.  I mean...maybe if you stack the AW with a psycher who outranks the enemy one, okay, you get a 3+ denial.  That's pretty good...but still insanely situational, and how often are you getting the +2 AND the +1 modifiers.  I wouldn't pay the 15 points to increase my deny the witch roll from a 6+ to a 5+, and fear is worth precisely one point, so that's not worth talking about.  Even on knights, perfidious isn't worth 10 points...it's definitely not worth 15 on a master.  Maybe in a fun game, I'd pay the points just to be able to field the ewok model?

I made a Company Master from a Emperor's Champ, with Astorath's winged jump pack and ye olde grey knight justicar power sword. Basically he is strolling forwards with his arms held out with wings flicked back...it looks awesome if I do say so myself.

He has artificer armour, Slayer, Jump pack and occasionally Shroud of Heroes.

Archived