Company Veterans Squad

Crazy Jay

Usually when I make a list I try to give all my units a mission or goal in the list.

Anti-Vehicle, Anti-horde, Anti-elite troop.. etc etc

I can't see a niche that 10 SB/SS vets would have that another unit can't do better or cheaper. Putting them in a pod seems out of place as they have a pretty good shooting range. it usually will lead them to be charged by assault armies, which without CCW weapons they wont do as well. I'd put them in a rhino. That way you could hold them back to defend against assault armies if you need to.

In a pod I'd go more assault or specialized weapons.. like plasma of meltas.

I'd like to see something like this fielded.. (maybe not in a serious list, but a fun one)

5x Vets -2 Meltas,3 combi-meltas

5x Vets -5x Combi-Plasmas (These could be changed to flamers of just normal bolters, but might not be as effective)

Drop Pod

It's troop choice, combat squaded. They both go into the pod, which they can due to the combat squad rule (pg 28 C:DA). On turn one they drop near a high value transport (probably a LR). They land, the meltas shoot first taking out the vehicle, then the plasma rapid fire leveling the squad inside.

It's expensive at 315pts and most likely will be focused and die, but fun never the less. With 5 meltas it's highly likely that they would succeed.

Against a LR chance of atleast 1

Shak : 0%

Stun : 7.482%

Weap : 7.482%

Immo : 34.18%

Wrec : 34.18%

Expl : 81.973%

This would suck against the DW if they had first turn, as not only would they get first blood, but it would halt any sort of coordinated advance between your LR and DWAing units.

~shrug~

As you say, Menchalior, bikes are an excellent all-round unit, while vets can be configured in the list-building stage to fill some very niche roles.  If you're building "the best anti-outflanking-sentinel-rush list possible" or whatnot, then that's pretty important.  But for an all-comers list, veterans are just too expensive for what they do.  It's easy to craft a "what-if?" that shows one of the narrow situations where they're better than some alternative unit, but when you step back, you see that the alternative unit is better the other 97% of the time.  Maybe that's why I don't value veterans...they're a tool for tweaking out your list against specific enemies.  I guess if your meta consists of three friends that come play in your basement, that's a good thing, and veterans can be a valuable tool.  I tend to prefer more variety in the armies that I face...If I never play the same person/army combo twice, that's perfect.  Oh, and 10 point storm shields are not cheap on an 18 point model when they cost 5 points (plus the loss of a stormbolter that most DW players seem not to value) on a 44 point model.

Archived