Deathwing, Besagaws, Blazons & Heraldry.

Hail Brothers!

I'm working on converting up my Deathwing force and I'm considering adding the plate shields on each terminator. I need help though, I'm unsure what to do for each model so I come to you all with questions!

1. Should each terminator have unique heraldry or each squad have unit heraldry?

2. What colours are considered 'standard' as a palette for heraldry?

3. Is Belial's unique heraldry displayed anywhere?

Thanks all.

Dan

When he was 3rd Co. Belial's heraldry was a black field with a diagonal red stripe (bottom left to top right) with the broken DW sword missing the bottom. It actually comes on the DA upgrade sprue. I'm assuming he's heraldry hasn't changed, but it may have. 

For the shields any of the DA colours, Red, White, Black, Green, Bone in traditional heraldry shapes/designs, each Termi should be unique.

Cheers,

Jono

You can also use metallics.  For purposes of heraldry, yellow represents gold, and white silver, but in painting miniatures, it's perfectly fine to use metallic paints, you don't have to stick to the "rules" that were established 40,000 years ago on a small, but wealthy continent in medieval terra.  I'd be stunned if those rules are known in the grimdark future anyway.  They've probably morphed.  For example, it's a big no-no to put two metallics next to each other (white and yellow, that is), and you'll never see that in real heraldic crests...except for the Vatican.  They deliberately violate the rule as a show of "we're not bound by silly mortal regulations."  It's some pretty interesting history if you get into the real thing, but for 40k, even I don't bother with the difference between a fess, a pale, and a bend.

/edit/

Remember that you can't have 100% storm shields...your sergeants can't change their equipment!

Yes, I believe fluff states that Space Marines inducted into the Deathwing are allowed personal heraldry (squad markings are separate). I suppose in reality, the colors could be manifold, however in the miniature painting world, you may want to stick to colors that compliment your overall scheme (though the video above shows a blue that works nicely).

Here are some examples from my own collection - DW 1 | DW 2

EDIT - Also just found this mockup when I was formulating what to heraldry to paint.

Archived