Batrep: DW vs mech guard

march10k

So a friend of mine who stopped playing 40k when he came to Japan eight months ago was having some withdrawal symptoms. I let him use my IG adepticon army from 2012 against my DW adepticon army for 2014. Obviously, I had the advantage of knowing how each army works, since they're both my creations! The IG list is more balanced, and has more scoring units, but it's basically a mechanized SIGAFH that's a little short on anti-land-raider tools, but with the highest rear armor being AV11 and guard statlines and flak armor across the board, the knights were going to be kind of meh. It also definitely has the dakka to torrent some termies...this was going to be interesting.

My IG list:

HQ:

Company command squad with 3x plasma and chimera with hull heavy flamer

Troops:

Platoon command squad with chimera with hull heavy flamer

Infantry squad with autocannon, flamer, and chimera

Platoon command squad with chimera with 3x melta and hull heavy flamer

Infantry squad with missile launcher, flamer, and chimera

Fast Attack:

3x scout sentinel

Heavy Support:

Demolisher

Demolisher

2x Russ with hull lascannon

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the other corner, we have my list for next year's festivities:

HQ:

Belial with SoS

Librarian with bike and PFG

Elites:

5 Deathwing Knights

Troops:

5 Deathwing terminators with AC and chainfist

5 Deathwing terminators with AC and chainfist

5 Deathwing terminators with heavy flamer/chainfist and three thunderhammers

Heavy support:

Crusader with deathwing vehicle

Crusader with deathwing vehicle

----------------------------------------------------------------------

For a mission, we rolled the scouring, for deployment, dawn of war. He rolled strategic genius for his warlord trait. In a stroke of luck for me, he rolled a one for objective markers, so we only had three. I won choice of table half, but he beat me on the roll-off for choice of going first, and, knowing my strategy, deferred.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Table Setup:

The table had a building just outside of his deployment zone, this industrial storage tank thing in no-man's land, a hill in his deployment zone, a two story ruin on a triangular base in my deployment zone, and a forest in my deployment zone. I chose the side with the cover just to keep it away from him. If he wanted cover, he could hunker in the ruins of his parking lot, muahahahaha. For objective markers, I reasoned that he only had two demolishers and a couple of meltas that could hurt my crusaders, so I decided not to use my usual strategy. I decided to place my two markers on my side and make him come to me, since I'm not really a fan of moving a chimera and foregoing the eight heavy weapons shots...on the other hand, those shots are useless if you don't have anything to shoot at. So, planning to hid Belial and his telehomer in the ruins out of LOS, I decided to put my objectives near that spot.

My first one went 6"x6" from the corner on that side. He placed his on his side of the board behind the building. Okay, this was compressing the board, which is good for me, but with an OBJ in his deployment zone, I have to either cede three points or go over there anyway. I put my second one 6" off my back line 12" in from the other one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deployment:

So I put Belial in the ruin and the two tanks next to it with the bike behind.

He put his russes on the hill where they had clear fields of fire and could leverage their long range. Both of his demolishers went next to the building, clearly intending to try for my crusaders. Between the demolishers and the russes, he put his missile launcher platoon, with the command track closest to the demolishers. On the other side of the building, he put the HQ track, then the platoon command track, then the autocannon tracks. With my crusaders within 30" of both demolishers, he tried to seize the initiative, but failed.

gallery_13203_846_3322.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, it's getting late, my wife wanted to watch a movie. I'll try to finish this tomorrow.

Always love batreps with pics!

Couple of questions..

1: night fight active?

2: did you mean that you rolled the crusade or big guns for the mission? The scouring always has six objectives and thise other two are d3+2.

Keep it up! Honor to the 1st!

Archived