DW Command Sqd Loadout

Seleucus

Cactus,

I concentrate my DW forces inside a thimble...on turn two.  After turn three, either my gambit has failed, or it has succeeded.  In any case, from that point on, it's time to start thinking about capping objectives, which is often going to require some spreading out.  I assume that players who don't use land raiders either never concentrate in the first place, or they assume from the start that certain objectives will be out of reach, and just give them to the enemy without a fight.

I try to cluster objectives if I can, in my opponent's half of the table. Often it's a low risk to cede control of a distant objective, other times it's worth sending a squad out of range of the standard. If 20+ Deathwing are sitting on 3 primary objectives, threatening or achieving the linebreaker objective and likely getting into a fight with the enemy warlord, I don't mind if part of the enemy army is camping on a 4th objective elsewhere. If you're willing to mix in some Ravenwing a couple of land speeders bring the mobility and firepower needed to clear out a scoring unit.

You must be the master of fooling the enemy into clustering objectives for you.  My opponents see "model-poor" and scatter the objectives as widely as possible in places where I'm not likely to want them.  At best, If we get 4 objectives and the enemy places the first one, I can achieve the cluster of three versus one that you mention...of course, the enemy, not me, gets to choose where! 

When I play objective based missions with my Deathwing, I focus on removing his ability to score while still holding 1 or 2 objectives.  You don't have to control them all, you just have to remove his ability to control any of them.  For some armies this is not possible, but when needed, I can tarpit horde orks away from an objective most of the time.  

For enemies that don't want to take the fight to me, I get as many objectives as close as I can and may conceed the one or two on the outside, but if I destroy his ability to score, he doesn't own it anyway.  In Big Guns all you have to do is immobilize...

Paul

Archived