Dark Angel's Invincible Reason Battle Board

Ordo Machinum

As my original thread has been lost in the warp due to the recent B&C crash, I thought I would help it to rise again.

Many of you have probably the great pictures from Games Day UK 2013's Battle of Phall battle board (here are links to Battle Bunnies, Faeit 212, Spikey Bits, and The Veil's Edge to see them if you haven't).

I've been thinking of doing my own battleship battle board, but I've been stuck on thinking of it as too starshippy and not enough imperially gothic. The GD Phall battle board definitely put it into its proper perspective.

Before coming to realize the GD Phall board was comprised of FW's Zone Mortalis scenery and tiles, I started using the online battle board pictures to see how much information I could gather. Here is the general layout design of the GD Phall battle board that I could muster from what I've found. I hope some of you may find it useful.

med_gallery_8429_9981_254012.jpg

Here are some sketches of the three types of general floor tiles (est. 2"x2") used on the Battle of Phall Battle Board. I thought they were randomly placed at first but after looking through the photos I realized they're grouped into a three-by-three tile pattern (6" x 6").

To be honest, the GD Phall Board almost turned me towards building a Horus Heresy Imperial Fists army under the command of Captain Polux's 405th Company. Fortunately, I have resisted - it's been done!

Instead, I want a battle board where I can play and display my Horus Heresy Dark Angels and Night Lords Legions during their battles of the Thramas Crusade. The HH story Prince of Crows, found in the Shadows of Treachery anthology, there is a boarding action against the Dark Angels' flagship, the Invincible Reason. It even includes a one-on-one battle between the Lion and the Night Haunter. As I plan to get the Forge World models of both Primarchs eventually, I will need to get a place ready for them.

I am working on some other sketches of the individual wall segments and other details that I will be using for my battle board. I don't want to rely solely on FW's ZM tiles and walls - and it has been pointed out the walls on most of the ZM scenery are static and molded onto the tiles. I want to make the layout more flexible and interchangeable to vary from section to section aboard the ship. Especially the Invincible Reason's 15th concourse, a vast transit hub joining at least twenty corridors with many hanging chains and raised gantries.

"Here the primarchs had met, so here the battle raged. The two sons of the Emperor duelled above the warring crowds, above the crashing of bolters and the thwarted screeching of chainblades against ceramite. Their embattled children, screaming and bleeding and dying below them, were shadows in the wake of gods." - from Prince of Crows, by Aaron Dembski-Bowden.

Consider me subscribed mate! (once again!) and I can't wait to see how you will display the heavy melee within the Invincible Reason. Ave Dominus Nox!

Thanks. My first thought is to probably use a lot of blood red and ichor looking paint on the floor tiles. biggrin.png

Awesome! I'm currently thinking of doing Dark Angels v Sons of Horus on the Forge World of Diamat (Fallen Angels) so to see someone putting together a similar idea for the Glorious First is great! :tu:

Archived