Dozer Blade on a LR. Do you have any?

[TA]Typher

Hey guys After doing Batreps in Vassal I've come to be fascinated by the dozer blades on the Land Raiders in in the program.

checking the net I haven't found any like them. Kromech makes some that are vaguely similar, but I'd rather not spend moeny if I don't have too.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/1_zps62636813.jpg

This is what I've come up with so far.

I have a few more pic in the Works in Progress section along with some other goodies I've been working on if you are interested.

Do you guys use dzr blades on your LR's? and if so do you have a actual blade or just proxy one?

The look reminds me of the Abrams Tanks' mine plough... If you have any model shops near you, you can often get kits like that quite cheap (actually "very" cheap relative to the cost of a Land Raider!), and it might yield something good-looking that saves you a lot of headache. For the size of the dozer blades, I'd suggest a 1:72 scale will be reasonable for your needs.

And some pix of what they look like (the top of the blade folds down BTW):

http://data3.primeportal.net/tanks/peter_van_iren/m1a1/images/m1a1_07_of_11.jpg

http://www.guntruck.com/Resources/Abramspic051%201.jpeg

I like the blades on the Abrahams tank. They seem like a good idea, but I'm trying o be frugal with my money right now. I like yours too Shadow thanks for sharing it!.

this is what I've come up with so far.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/2_zps22074018.jpg

I still need to add a sephia wash to the recesses, give it highlights and add mud and some sort of script and imagery on it to match the rest of the vehicle, but I think it's coming along nicely.

I've never been much of a painter, but I sure love converting stuff. I love seeing your guys stuff. It really inspires me.

Thanks for checking this out. I'll add another pic or so when it's done.

I'd suggest a 1:72 scale will be reasonable for your needs.

This is far too small scale - you need 1:48 or better still 1:35 for 28mm figures. 1:72 is for approx 15mm. models.

I'd suggest a 1:72 scale will be reasonable for your needs.

This is far too small scale - you need 1:48 or better still 1:35 for 28mm figures. 1:72 is for approx 15mm. models.

Right, but the blades are big relative to the tank - since they only need to cover LR tracks, the 1:72 should be big enough (about 30mm wide) and is a cheap scale.

Normally though, the "correct" scale is 1:48, I agree (and "heroic" scale details notwithstanding...).

In the end though, the best thing to do is to see if you can have a look at the kit yourself in person. It's the safest way to be sure it's what you need!

Elmo, I think the scale is less important than how well it fits to the land raider model. You're probably still right that 1:72 will be too small.

I'd previously imagined a land raider dozer blade covering the full width of the vehicle, like The Shadow Guard's example, and lifting up out of the way when the front asault ramp is in use. I could never think of a decent way to model that. Having now seen the real-world Abrams' version, and thinking about what a dozer blade does in the game (ie prevent terrain and obstacles from immobilising the tank), two narrower blades covering the front of the tracks are more appealing. Maybe not as large as Typher's though.

I'll be following this thread with interest as I'm beginnig to build my crusader for the Currus Belli.

I may have come over a bit abrupt with my post but this was not the intention, so apologies  - I am speed typing at work trying to avoid the bosses glare ;)

From my experience with Modern scale model conversions to heroic scale the closest I have used is 1:35 except for sandbags, jerry cans etc where 1:48 fits better.

Cactus is correct that the best way to be sure is to check the model out before you buy. The 1:35 model from Tamiya is here but it does not give sizes.

You could have a full width dozerblade that pivots on the hull to rise above the LR ramp to allow your termies to disembark. Sounds like a plan for my Ares :)

I may have come over a bit abrupt with my post but this was not the intention, so apologies - I am speed typing at work trying to avoid the bosses glare msn-wink.gif

Speaking personally: no offence taken... I'm in a similar position! tongue.png

Cactus is correct that the best way to be sure is to check the model out before you buy.

'Twas me actually! laugh.png

As for scales... I thought 1:72 was "officially" 20mm scale. Still, if you look below, you can see a handy photo showing size of the 1:72 parts:

http://www.model-making.eu/zdjecia/3/2/9/1323_1_dra7213_1.jpg

Actually, another great source of cheap dozer blades are kid's toys. Maybe worth a look next time you're out shopping! msn-wink.gif

[TA]Typher... it's looking pretty damned good...... Just to clarify that image i posted ..it's part of Strike Force Sobek by Anubis9DA).... and to inspire those of you intending to aprticipate in the Currus Belli event..... landraiders HO!!!

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/files/Img_Ch07_01LoU_DW010_001.jpg

I am a little jealous of that Land Raider Hyperios, I want to have (3) of them eventually...

Other than that one, I could re-create that picture, almost.  After this event I'll have (8) Land Raiders and (8) Dreadnoughts done.  I'll get a picture :D

Paul

@shadow holy moly that is a lot of Land Raiders!

I am a little jealous of that Land Raider Hyperios, I want to have (3) of them eventually...

Other than that one, I could re-create that picture, almost. After this event I'll have (8) Land Raiders and (8) Dreadnoughts done. I'll get a picture biggrin.png

Paul

I'd settle for another magnetized LRC/LR and maybe a magnetized Hyperops/Ares. I don't play Apocalypse for 8 would be over kill for me. Kudos to your wife for letting you buy that many. Mine would make me live in them if I did tongue.png

Speaking of the Hyperios. checking the stats it's rather under powered as a anti-air vehicle. 1 S8 shot is rather Meh.. compared to Comtemptor options.

Ok.. this is pretty much the finished product.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/Misc%2040k/3_zps850e5128.jpg

I don't think I did a fantastic job o the lettering and it's defiantly not a pro job, but I'm a nub so it is what it is.

thanks for the feedback guys. I've really been enjoying our DA community lately.

That looks just absolutely great. It almost gives the impression that the two separate dozer blades are meant to come together in the middle, covering the entire front of the landraider when in motion and opening up sideways to allow egress of the Deathwing! very nice.

SG

It does give that impression, doesn't it?  The funny thing is, just like with the mine plow for a real tank, it's not really necessary to have a blade anywhere but in front of the tracks...after all, the point of the blade is to prevent the vehicle from becoming immobilized...and there's no mobility at risk if the assault ramp is dented by running over a fire hydrant, is there?

No wife, not for a couple of years now, and oh how the the collection has grown. I just pick things up as I can. A lot of trades have helped.

We will see what all happens here coming up.

Paul

Archived