Struggling with name and Heraldry For Unknown Successors

Captain Blut

I have been hard at work trying to come up with a suitable name and heraldry for my new chapter of codex space marines.

I worked out the color scheme, which I will get around to posting a model or two, but I can not settle on a name or insignia.

All I can really come up with is "Iron Wardens" and "Revenant Spectres" but neither really works for me.

I'd appreciate a little help and inspiration.

Thanks.

Here is the SMP img for the color scheme

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab4/Razoryeer/Space%20Marine%20Project/spacemarine9-1.jpg

There seems to be a distinct Imperial Roman feel to the models I converted into sternguard, so I am leaning in that direction for the chapter theme.

Personally, I think the colour scheme is a little busy. I suggest that you should try and settle on one or two colours for the scheme so you don't start hating yourself when it comes to paint.

As far as the symbols are concerned, if you're going for Imperial Roman, why not try some combination of lightning, wreath, sword, etc. or use one of the symbols commonly seen on the shields of Roman Legionnaires? Y'know, the lightning coming from the shield boss kind of thing.

And the Chapter name really depends on which Chapter you end up going with - the Fists' successors go along the lines of 'Iron Knights', 'Hammers of Dorn', 'Crimson Fists', 'Black Templars',etc. - all very knightly, fist or weapons-based. Whilst the Hands' named successors are based off mechanics, metals, hands/arms, etc.

No name ideas off the top of my head, but there's something to help you think :)

Personally, I think the colour scheme is a little busy. I suggest that you should try and settle on one or two colours for the scheme so you don't start hating yourself when it comes to paint.

QFT. I'd advocate simplifying that colour scheme (or starting again with the basic colours featured in the first attempt). 

As for a name, either you have a solid idea for one now or you should wait until you know (roughly) how this chapter thinks and fights. Knowing where their gene-seed comes from would be a good starting point, too. 

Colour scheme is interesting, kinda reminds me of the Iron Lords scheme (guess it's the black body, red legs). Maybe make them IH Successors via the Lords?

Iron Wardens as a name could certainly work in that case?

Edit: Or just go with an Iron Lords army, they're pretty darn close to what you want?

Edit 2: Or if you do want some white in there how about something like...

sm.php?b62c=@hb2CJ_iakk7.i1wL6@hDcqP@@___iaiRi_hDcqP@@i5jfEi5jfE@@@.@.@.@.@....@@@@@@@@@@hDcqPhDcqP@@@___@@_@hDcqP@@hDcqPhDcqP&grid=TRUE

Maybe paint the fists black like the arms and use a single white fist to indicate veteran status and white helmet stripe for veteran sergeants? As for chapter symbol, maybe a fist grabbing a lightning bolt or two and call them The Olympians. Check some wiki entries on Roman/Greek mythology for name ideas :)

Converted Sternguard (made from leftover bits of two sternguard boxes).

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab4/Razoryeer/Space%20Marine%20Project/IMG_0498.jpg

Rough paint job of one of the marines

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab4/Razoryeer/Space%20Marine%20Project/IMG_0500.jpg

Just tossing this out there- but you could combine imperial/crimson fist stuff with a greco-roman theme and call them something like the Imperial Hoplites. Really the only chapter that has a greco-roman theme is the minotaurs so far; and I'd imagine other chapters have recruited from aristotilian style planets in the past.  

Just tossing this out there- but you could combine imperial/crimson fist stuff with a greco-roman theme and call them something like the Imperial Hoplites. Really the only chapter that has a greco-roman theme is the minotaurs so far; and I'd imagine other chapters have recruited from aristotilian style planets in the past.

Don't forget the Iron Snakes ;-)

That being said, don't forget you can add animals/mythical creatures to your chapters name, e.g. Sons of Hydra. Which then goes on to give your army Chapter tactics - using Hydra as an example, you could say that once a Brother is slain, two more takes his place until the enemy is pounded into the dirt...or something to that effect

I like your colour scheme, very striking! The thing that stands out to me most is the blue lenses...again, as said already, it's no doubt going to be a lot of work and we'd hate to see you getting frustrated with so many colours in so many different areas...but if that's what you want, then go for it, if you can pull it off your army will have an awesome presence on the tabletop!

All the best, and good luck!

Khaki

Archived