Heavy Bolter Bikes

TheSauce

I recently got a 3rd attack bike kit, and I'm thinking about running a unit of 3 with heavy bolters. I've had some good luck with multi-melta bikes, but I was wondering if anyone has had success with the heavy bolter variant? my lists usually revolve around 2x10 ASM with a priest and 1-2 stormravens.

For Heavy Bolter delivery, Land Speeders or Devastators are usually preferred. Especially as the 12" move on the Attack Bike is good for getting a Multi Melta into position.

However, that doesn't mean running Heavy Bolters can't work but it's worth having a Librarian with Divination (or a Dark Angels Librarian with Divination and Auspex) and a Sanguinary Priest nearby.

Personally, I just find the MM to be more useful in almost every situation, and I would agree with Jolemai that Landspeeders would probably be a better option to carry heavy bolters. You get 4 heavy bolters instead of 3 for 120 points, and they are actually quite resilient if they can stay at 36''. Also, the attack bikes bolters are either wasted or you have to drive closer than you actually want to to utilize them. 

However, I feel that 3 meltas is too much for one squad, so you might run the mixed version of 2xMM and 1xHB, or my preferred variant of 2x2MM squads :)

Archived