I think I have finally decided. Alpha Legion for me. :)

HsojVvad

Well, Omegon threw the Cabal's plan out the airduct together with their ambassador. I don't think it's known what their current plan is all about...

well the cabal didn't have a plan post heresy. there would either be quick horus win humanity bleeds itself , chaos calms down or horus loses , humnity bleeds its self through a very long time , major warp incrusion , humanity dies and warp calms itself . Their plan could work/not work only durning heresy time . And the twins with their dual personality and two bodies for 1 person , probably wanted to try out both plans at the same time . If they didn't want to take part , then knowing how pragmatic they were they would have loaded up on the few fleets they have and went on the shortest way to a different galaxy.

I have to say, I find the Alpha Legion's lore to be interesting on a number of levels. Anyway, I've been meaning to read Legion for a while, but unfortunately I've done an exceedingly poor job keeping up with the Horus Heresy novels (having only read the first three). Are there any other novels I'd need to read first to understand the events of Legion?

Also, for anyone who plays or has played the Black Crusade RPG, did you guys find the Tome of Fate to be worthwhile lore-wise? Does it add anything to the existing fluff of the Alpha Legion and Thousand Sons, or is it more summary/compilation?

Legion is pretty stand-alone, compared to many of the books in the series. Having read the introductory trilogy will be more than enough to provide you with what little context is needed.

I got to ask, I have this wet dream that the current Alpha Legion hiarchy is'nt really worshipping chaos. It seems possible after having read Legion, and the IA article on AL does'nt really debunk my theory. They joined Horus, but with the intention of destroying chaos, they never attack the Emperor personally and they stay out of the eye of terror. They stay hidden after that so why should they have fallen to Chaos?

I hav'nt read Serpent Beneath yet, so I'm wondering, does this novel explain their fall to chaos?

We haven't really seen how they fall, but we do know that at least some of the XXth do indeed fall.  40K-era stuff like Hunt for Voldorius, Dawn of War, and the various mentions across the codices prove that at least some part of the Legion went *word remove*

Vraks have the Alpha Legion first posing as loyalist marines, which obviously means that they had to be "clean" enough for that without mutations and stuff. Later they got their usual chaos style armour though...

Alpha Legion uses the full scale of damnation, everything from pure geneseed in moden equipment to ancient daemonprince devoted to a god...

SPOILER AERT: Do NOT read the following response unless you have read Legion.

Right, with that out of the way: Legion and the various Alpha Legion stories that follow seem to suggest that the legion has become increasingly abstracted and complex in its goals and loyalties: the revelations that the cabal provide seem to suggest that at least part of the Alpha Legion is (or was) originally working in Horus's favour under the auspices of defeating Chaos by burning it out: that its, ensuring its total victory over the material universe, thereby eliminating the drives and inspirations of conscious beings that lend it form and impetus, resulting in a kind of multiversal, apocalyptic burn out in which both the material and metaphorical realms collapse into inertia. In that regard, the Alpha Legion may still come off for all intents as purposes as devout champions of Chaos, whilst also subtly working against it in terms of their wider goals.

Later stories seem to suggest that their many-layered seditions and penchant for subversion has run so deep that even members of the legion itself do not know what their overall agendas are, leading to myraid internal schisms and conflicting goals which means that there may very well be some members of the Alpha Legion who retain the goals stated above, others that have joined Horus's regime whole heartedly, others that have turned to Chaos worship sincerely; others that may have been manipulated into doing so by the legion's upper echelons as a means of achieving their over arching agenda. Everything is confusion, feints and counter feints, even within the legion itself. We also have no idea what ultimately becomes of the twin primarchs, Alpharisu and Omegon. It seems that one of them may or may not fall to Roboute Guilliam in the closing quarters of the Heresy, whereas the other is currently lost to history. However, given the legion's penchant for misdirection and deceit, it's no certainty that either of them fell at all.

Basically, the background is broad enough for you to do whatever you want: devout, chaos worshipping Alpha Legionnaires, renegade, guerilla-fighting saboteurs; ostensibly noble warriors who have made the ultimate sacrifice: their loyalties, their hopes; their own souls to end an omnscient and omnipresent scourge: it's totally up to you, as I doubt very much any of the HH novels will provide clear cut answers on these matters.

Archived