Building a better Sister

koran

Following a quick discussion about Sisters possibly worshiping the Emperor in the form of the Omnissiah Im going to try my hand at making a sister of battle model.  The idea is to create some interchangeable components (bodies, legs, arms, heads), Im hoping five of each.  Then I can cast them up to give a nice variety of poses and I can solve a few problems I have with the sisters models (The legs dont appear armoured in the thighs which seems silly as they would need the armour to support the weight of the torso armour and backpack and the overall protection and the bigger problem of not being able to afford £50 for one squad.

First things first, I needed to body to have everything come off of and to set the correct scale.  I bought an immolator hoping to get a plastic body but the damn thing didnt have the shoulder detail I wanted and had a "seat belt" across it (someone in the grim future obviously cares about health and safty :p).  Back to the drawing board.  Luckily a friend mentioned having some old sisters models including some seraphim.  Much cutting, filing and grinding later I have this:

A quick trip to my local store gave me some scouts for some arms.  All was looking well until I realised they were far too big for the body (both the arms, hands and the bolter).  I will have to have a think of what to do but Im thinking of getting a standard marine bolter and resizing it to a more "feminine" size/profile.

A cool idea not sure if this helps but would elder arms possibly be a solution for arms? The armour is a lot thinner and should fit well with the chest piece but obviously will need some work making it more SoB like.

DR

Thanks for the links and comments guys and some interesting ideas for me to ponder on.

Ive finished tinkering with a boltgun.  As you can see Ive made it less wide and slightly shorter so that it wont look at large in front of the Sister's chest.  Ive put a standard marine boltgun in the photo as well as a comparison and the blob of green stuff is for sculpting an arm.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m16/NeilCollins_/Sisters/WP_000546_zps19a18469.jpg

Not a huge update but I've just about sculpted the gloved hand thats holding the bolter.  I wont do the other as this may very depending if the model is reloading, throwing a grenade, preping a grenade, etc.

Im still debating if I want the studs on the glove (again, something I may vary between the different sets of arms to make them easier to identify which match).

A complicated project, but you're doing the Emperor's work! Looks good, have you considered using the "broken down" bits to form different parts? I'm not sure you could get any arms but surely at least a calf or two? Would make your task a bit easier perhaps if you had the models to spare.

The bolter is definitely a huge challenge. The second being the arms for sure. A lot of the Sisters conversions get more or less derailed when they use Space Marine bolters, which are just gigantic. And you definitely can't use Space Marine arms. They're too big and too long for Space Marines, let alone the lither Sisters figures.

You may want to try what I did with my Horatius Pattern bolt pistol, and file it down in the center to make it skinnier.

gallery_64093_6671_4499.jpg

...Why don't you just use an oroginal SoB bolter? This one in the middle here looks perfect to cut away:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1921154a_99060108013_BattleSisters1_445x319.jpg

This Sister Superior could work too:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1250174_99060108085_WHSoBSSboltermain_445x319.jpg

Nothing wrong with making your own, but given what your long-term aim is here, I think you have bigger battles to fight than re-inventing the SoB bolter! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Koran, I have just signed up to start a project almost exactly like this one and share my expereinces so that others may benefit. I'd rather not 'compete' with your excellent work so I was wondering if you'd like to pool resources?

I am also converting parts (5 torso's, 5 legs, 5 backpacks etc...) to cast up and use as a 'multi-part' sisters of battle kit but instead of using original sisters models I'm using dark eldar warriors. I've not yet worked out how I'm going to do the arms so I'm very interested to see what you come up with. So would you prefer it if I created my own project thread or would you be interested in pooling both our projects to this thread?

Eitherway I'm a follower :)

Archived