A Tale of 18 Hobbyists - WIP project thread

Dosjetka

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/Taron_James_Beer/image_zpsf4487935.jpghttp://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/Taron_James_Beer/image_zpsb254645c.jpghttp://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/Taron_James_Beer/image_zps4a8192da.jpghttp://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/Taron_James_Beer/image_zps0908884c.jpg

Just to prove I've actually done something so far:

Turrelik WIP

Half of Tactical Troop Turrelik (I'm pretty sure I spell that stupid name differently every time I write it) as works in progress.

Snow will be applied to the bases, and otherwise the actual colours need to be put in, highlights done, etc.  Overall though, surprisingly happy with how they are turning out and they should be finished tonight/tomorrow.

I'm thinking of starting a separate thread  as well, as I'm planning on writing a bit of fluff per model I do, and I don't want to take up a tonne of space in here.

Half of Tactical Troop Turrelik (I'm pretty sure I spell that stupid name differently every time I write it) as works in progress.

Snow will be applied to the bases, and otherwise the actual colours need to be put in, highlights done, etc.  Overall though, surprisingly happy with how they are turning out and they should be finished tonight/tomorrow.

I'm thinking of starting a separate thread  as well, as I'm planning on writing a bit of fluff per model I do, and I don't want to take up a tonne of space in here.

Looking great, Corsair! The snow on the bases will really help the colors pop.

Snow will be applied to the bases, and otherwise the actual colours need to be put in, highlights done, etc. Overall though, surprisingly happy with how they are turning out and they should be finished tonight/tomorrow.

I'm thinking of starting a separate thread as well, as I'm planning on writing a bit of fluff per model I do, and I don't want to take up a tonne of space in here.

Looking great, Corsair! The snow on the bases will really help the colors pop.
Thanks mate. Done a bit more, including the highlights and various piratical/gang markings at shoulder and knee. Just gotta slap some glazes on and do some touch ups and the combat squad will be done. Hoping to put another photo with fluff up tomorrow.

Absolutely loving your guys. The colours really pop and they just seem to scream "We don't need camouflage. We don't need to hide. No, we want you to see your death approach."

Here are the pics of yesterdays progress.

Really happy with these 2 so far. I tried a different technique when paing the tabard to give it a 'textile' look to differentiate it from the red fists, and it worked really well but my Camera won't pick up the detail. :(

Anywho, pics:

gallery_26383_8310_30499.jpg

gallery_26383_8310_24736.jpg

gallery_26383_8310_10071.jpg

That knife pose looks familiar ;)

Looking really nice fists Mikey boy

And to everyone else great modelling people

Managed to get one guy finished yesterday

gallery_18769_8974_14652.jpg

gallery_18769_8974_3122.jpg

Haven't gotten round to naming him yet.

Also have one WiP Iron hand too.

gallery_18769_8974_14847.jpg

The other 3 members of my first squad are on the way, just not interesting enough WiP for me to want to post. Might have to start doing a separate thread too-not much fluff for them yet but have some extras that wouldn't be covered by my 1000 point list.

Have to say, thanks to everyone for giving me the inspiration to keep on going with this.

That knife pose looks familiar 

You're going to be thinking that a lot. ;) :P 

Jaspcat - The Sorcerer is really coming along nicely. :)

Corsair - Like that colour scheme, simple but very effective! Good job on the glowing eyes on thd Beakie.

Geektom - Those really are stunning mate! Did you use transfers or did you freehand those markings?

reaper_man - Excellent work on your IHs. The snow bases are a nice touch. :)

Haven't done any painting myself since Friday but I'm looking at finishing those Vets either today( after all the Football's finished) or tomorrow after I sign on.

Keep up the inspiring work everyone! 

Mike.

@ Corsair: I used transfers. I was resistant at first- "painter pride" getting in the way- but then I decided to let that go and focus on the army looking consistent and sharp. Now that they are on, I think I made the right decision. I do enough other picky highlighting and detailing to keep my street cred, I hope! :-)

thought i'd actually get something done today, so while the roast was cooking i started on my tactical squad:

i wasn't too sure about using a white undercoat to start with, but as i've progressed with the painting, i've come to like it (shows up where i need to finish for a start oops). i need to get another layer down before the wash, then i'll crack on with the rest of the details. just pondering whether to do free hand or get transfers from FW. decisions decisions...

thought i'd actually get something done today, so while the roast was cooking i started on my tactical squad:

i wasn't too sure about using a white undercoat to start with, but as i've progressed with the painting, i've come to like it (shows up where i need to finish for a start oops). i need to get another layer down before the wash, then i'll crack on with the rest of the details. just pondering whether to do free hand or get transfers from FW. decisions decisions...

Are these Ultramarines? That is a nice blue!

Are these Ultramarines? That is a nice blue!

blink.png haha no brother they are Crimson Fists (same chapter as chaplainmikey), ultras are far lighter, but i used a white undercoat instead of black and they still need another layer and a wash. to be fair, the light probably doesn't help.

To be fair I also though Ultra's at first - when I see Blue marines with no distinguishing markings it's my first thought. I've seen some great Ultra armies that were a darker blue than the usual colour. Regardless, it is a well-done blue.

When I look for Crimson fists I tend to look for the, well, crimson fists!

To be fair I also though Ultra's at first - when I see Blue marines with no distinguishing markings it's my first thought. I've seen some great Ultra armies that were a darker blue than the usual colour. Regardless, it is a well-done blue.

yeah, i can see where you guys are coming from, and thanks for saying looking good even at this stage. having looked at the picture again i can see where you're both coming from - lack of a red hand and no insignia makes it look like either base coated UMs or alpha legion in disguise tongue.png best rectify this asap to be fair then.

yeah, i can see where you guys are coming from, and thanks for saying looking good even at this stage. having looked at the picture again i can see where you're both coming from - lack of a red hand and no insignia makes it look like either base coated UMs or alpha legion in disguise :P best rectify this asap to be fair then. 

Regardless, a good start!

so BBL heres the nearly finished scheme thoughts?

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/Taron_James_Beer/image_zpse46b53aa.jpg

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/Taron_James_Beer/image_zps76b11452.jpg

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/Taron_James_Beer/image_zps2842e5cb.jpg

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/Taron_James_Beer/image_zps29dda8a2.jpg

Wow you guys have been busy since I last posted!

Chaplainmikey: I'm loving your Crimson Fists! Personally, I'd hold off on the battle damage, your minis are so clean and well-executed, I think they're great as-is.

Colonel Sanguine: That Company Commander is probably may favorite Guard model! Looking forward to seeing him finished.

Excubitor: I love your Master, especially the vintage plasma pistol.

Geektom: A daring color scheme, but well-executed! How are you planning on basing them?

Reaper: Nice and gritty, perfect for the 10th.

Jaspcat: You may be a heretic, but you pull it off in style. I especially like the decision to go with purple for the flesh.

I've completed most of the paintwork on the Dreadknight, really just the sword left (better pictures once he's done, I promise!):

med_gallery_49210_8538_454324.jpg

And I've started on his base:

med_gallery_49210_8538_144944.jpg

Archived