Assault Squad Sgt?

Dark_Master

Hello all,

I had £20 burning a hole in my pocket today as I passed the local GW.

Decided to do something different and got myself an Assault Squad.

I intend to run them as a distraction unit with 2 X flamer and deep strike/flank any horde armies I face.

However I am unsure what to do with the sgt.

Do I get him a combi-flamer for synergy, or a powerfist/ thunder hammer to open up any transports they encounter?

DM

Since you are talking about a distraction unit, I would Keep it cheap.  Also remember that you can't charge on the turn you arrive from reserves.  Maybe give the Sergeant a Plasma  Pistol, but again to keep him cheap I wouldn't give him anything more than Melta-bombs.  For Opening Transports most tanks are armor 10 in the back and they all have Krak grenades so you should be pretty set their.  Good Luck!

edit: or possilby a Power Maul for 15 pts your sergeant will have plenty o S6 attacks against armor

I'd give him a Combi-flamer too.

Meltabombs seem a bit silly as they are a small distraction unit and have Krak anyaway.

Even making the Sarge a Vet are points I'd forego on a unit like this.

What you can do is grab a jump pack or two off a bits seller in the future and make an alternative Sarge if you want to have some different options.

IMHO, there are three kinds of assault squad sergeants, and neither one has a plasma pistol.  First, there's the guy with nothing but meltabombs.  This is a "I can't find the points" move of desperation.  The normal cheap guy has meltabombs and a combi-flamer.  The expensive guy has meltabombs and a power axe.  NONE of them have plasma pistols.  Why?  15 points is too expensive for a plasma pistol on a HQ character, forget about a normal joe or a sergeant!  And, hell yeah, all assault squads should have dual flamers.

Archived