Tau Shennanigans

I don't have the Tau Codex or the Farsight Supplement -

I played yesterday and my opponent brought a Tau Commander in a battlesuit and gave him a 3++ save re-rollable from the Farsight Supplement.  He stated the Farsight Supplement allowed some type of roll at the beginning of the turn which allowed the commander to do this.

He took out my Chaos Lord of badassary in CC which I never thought possible. (admittedly I had some very bad rolls).

Unfortunately he left his Farsight Supplement at the house and did not have it available.

Does anyone know if this is even possible?  Sure sounds OP.

Thats a lie, a straight up lie. tau can get a 4++ save on a commander and thats it, they do not have a 3++ invul except on the riptide, and a riptide rolls its nova recator and on a 3+ it gets to choose a option (3++ is one of them) if it fails it takes a wound but farsight lets you reroll the nova test not the invul. But you said it was a battlesuit commander not a riptide so he was cheating.

Is there something in the Tau Codex or Farsight Supplement that allows the Tau Commander to Bubble a Deny the Witch Roll for all Friendly Units within 18"?

Can the Tau Commander buff this Deny the Witch Roll by rolling 4D6 and DTW on a 5+ or 6?

As in a previous post my opponent claimed to be able to do this which completely shut down my Chaos Psykers.

Is there something in the Tau Codex or Farsight Supplement that allows the Tau Commander to Bubble a Deny the Witch Roll for all Friendly Units within 18"?

Can the Tau Commander buff this Deny the Witch Roll by rolling 4D6 and DTW on a 5+ or 6?

As in a previous post my opponent claimed to be able to do this which completely shut down my Chaos Psykers.

The Talisman of Arthas Molach allows all friendly units within 12 inches of the bearer to roll 4d6 dice (choosing the highest result) when trying to deny the witch.

The Riptide can roll a dice at the start of the turn and get a 3+ inv save, but nothinig rerollable and nothing on a regular Tau commander. Not that I could find anyway.

The Earth Caste Pilot Array allows the Tau player to reroll the dice for the nova reactor. but it absolutely does not give a rerollable 3++ save. On this occasion I think we can only say, if we're feeling charitable, that the OP's opponent had misunderstood the rules. That sounds a lot nicer than accusing him of being a cheat!

If you can't provide the rules, or borrow them from someone who has them with them, you simply don't get to use it. Yes Farsight special issue gear can grant a much better deny the witch, earth caste pilot allows him to re-roll his nova plus some other things. The thing to remember though with the earth caste pilot array is it actually drops their WS stat. This is imporant because Tau are already bad in combat, with the earth caste array they'd have a hard time hitting Guardsmen in close combat. Guardsmen. He does have an option to get melee weapons that are essentially fusion guns as well which might be how he took out your character, but that aside he'd need to hit first, and non riptides can't get 3+ invulnerable saves.

Helpful hint: Never let a tau player set up the terrain on a table. Unless you like little terrain and none that actually blocks line of sight.

It would seem that the Tau empire only fights in barren deserts at my local gaming shop.

Archived