DW Knights with Salamander Allies

L30n1d4s

Perhaps I am sucker for units that are cool but are not consider "ultra-competitive" by the masses... from all the chatter on this and other forums, it appears that Deathwing Knights fall in that category.

Aside from their Maces being only S6 AP4 (minus one turn of Smite mode), it seems that their survivability for their price might be at issue.

Enter Salamander allies. More specifically, Master Shen, the Salamander senior Apothecary from the FW Badab wars books.

Shen comes stock with AA, a PW, 2W, and a Veteran's profile. He also costs the price of 1.35 Thunderfire Cannons.

Where he really comes into his own, however, is the 4+ FNP that he gives out to any unit he joins. Joining him to a unit of DW Knights and clumping them up for T5, you have:

-2+ Armor save with stacking 4+ FNP (for only about an 8% chance of failing both saves against non AP2 weapons)

-3++ Invul save stacking with a 4+ FNP ( for only about a 17% chance of failing both saves against AP2/1 weapons)

-T5, both to mitigate low S weapons (like massed S4 Bolters) and for raising the base Toughness in order to ensure the DW Knights get their FNP save against all attacks that are not S10.

Firstly, I don't think DW Knights are that bad that they need help, but......

.....I knew there was a reason I loved the Salamanders! How on earth did I miss this guy? Mental note to look through the Badab stuff when I get home! biggrin.png

the only down side is how are you going to get him on the field with that unit. you would have the run him in on foot with them or bring them in via normal reserves. As an ally, they are not allowed in our transports nor are we allowed in theirs. Also they wouldn't get to DWA. Other than that he would be a solid choice for deathwing.

I think you're wrong about deathwing knights being "not that competitive."  How many times per game are you going to need 12 S10AP2 attacks, anyway?  "Survivability for their price might be an issue?"  They're more survivable for the price than other terminators, not less.  They come standard with storm shields and can be T5 any time you want. 

Actually, the whole premise of this thread is faulty.  The title should be "how I think I can get around the fact that normal FNP is only 5+"  After all, nothing stops you from having a standard of fortitude hanging around 10" away from the knights.

Archived