Help me purge the demons!

Westcl2

From the divination list, prescience, forewarning, misfortune and - to a lesser extent - foreboding will be useful. I was going to suggest assail from telekinesis but monstrous creatures are immune to the strikedown effect.

Got myself ready for the game last night......chaos guy didn't show up......ad hoc game against.......freaking Tau

made 2 of his fire warrior units run off the table by the end of turn 2, lost 2/5 dwk's and immobilized my dreadnaught

the rest of the game was his riptide and crisis suits shooting me to death slowly and painfully

my lib wound up w/ puppet master which was pretty hilarious, but unfortunately didn't prove fruitful

So onto the next set of xenos scum

Are there any useful tips towards beating tau?  i'm thinking about shifting the focus of my army away from my tacs(even though i love them)  Maybe add a terminator squad, my dwk's soaked up a really good amount of damage it was just near impossible to get them into combat since they couldnt assault after deep striking and apparently tau just jump pack away forever.  I was thinking somehting like knights and a squad of normal terminators w/ an ac or somehting, keeping the regulars in base contact w/ the knights so they are t5 and just blasting away from behind the shields until i can finally catch up w/ them

Got myself ready for the game last night......chaos guy didn't show up......ad hoc game against.......freaking Tau

made 2 of his fire warrior units run off the table by the end of turn 2, lost 2/5 dwk's and immobilized my dreadnaught

the rest of the game was his riptide and crisis suits shooting me to death slowly and painfully

my lib wound up w/ puppet master which was pretty hilarious, but unfortunately didn't prove fruitful

So onto the next set of xenos scum

Are there any useful tips towards beating tau?  i'm thinking about shifting the focus of my army away from my tacs(even though i love them)  Maybe add a terminator squad, my dwk's soaked up a really good amount of damage it was just near impossible to get them into combat since they couldnt assault after deep striking and apparently tau just jump pack away forever.  I was thinking somehting like knights and a squad of normal terminators w/ an ac or somehting, keeping the regulars in base contact w/ the knights so they are t5 and just blasting away from behind the shields until i can finally catch up w/ them

...How many points did you play this time against the Tau?

my dwk's soaked up a really good amount of damage it was just near impossible to get them into combat since they couldnt assault after deep striking and apparently tau just jump pack away forever. 

you'll never catch  tau elites or fast attack on foot...and they'll never outrun you if you chase them in a land raider.  Knights in a crusader for the win.  They smite the riptide, and you're home free.  In fact, belial with knights in a crusader...other DW units come in off of his telehomer, and a different unit gets in instead after the knights blow up the riptide, since the knights have then blown their smite.  The replacement passengers run down the rest of the elites (two units of  crisis suits, no doubt) while the rest of your army has nothing AP2 to worry about.

Sadly, with the Riptide, the only real option is AP 2, it may not have much in the way of WS, but it still has it's slam attack (I think that's what it's called, the monstrous creature AP2 attack)

Las cannons, plasma cannons, ETC, or large volumes of fire.

While this is just mathhammer (Still getting into my army) dashing in with the Knights' grenade launcher and dropping the toughness before opening up with bigger guns (s10 if you can) to double it out should work.  

The only good response to a riptide is knights charging out of a crusader...shooty AP2 just chips away wounds one at a time.  And a TAC army will rarely have more than one unit of knights, which is yet another reason that (most) tau players are out of their minds when they claim that riptides aren't cheese.  One riptide is a PITA that more or less dictates the enemy's plan...more than one (opportunity cost of not being able to take crisis suits in your elites slots be damned) is just as cheesy as spamming six or nine vendettas....this is coming from a guy who plays tau and IG...and my first army was IG, although my primary one is now DW.

IME, the 27 missiles out of 3 apocas are a much bigger PITA.

5 Ravenwink black knights with a RWGL:

Lower the T to 5, 8 TL plasma shots means 6 wounds...oooops, there goes your riptide.

Same goes with any MC with T6 and 6 wounds (and no invul)...1 normal round of RWBK is all it takes.

Only thing to remember is that a Riptide does have an invuln (has the typical saves of a tactical Terminator, unless it succeeds in overcharging the shield generator and becomes equivalent to a storm shield for one turn).

ok so here's what i've gathered from this......drop the dreadnaughts....add a landraider for the dwks to assault out of, add a term command squad w/ banner of devastation......drop them on my tac squads round 2.....have a big ball of doom in the middle shooting like crazy, and hope the dwks exploded the riptide?

Archived