Azrael in a 30 man IG blob

Barnie25

Commisar: "My Lord, the troops are on the verge of fleeing. If only we could...er... is that a penny on the ground?"

Azrael: "What?... where I don't see a penny anywhe..."

*BANG!!*

I suppose if I saw my commisar take down an astartes, let alone the Master of the Angels do whatever he told me. He'd be the Samuel L. Jackson of the 40k universe.

"What does the Emperor look like?"

"Www..what?"

"Say What one more time."

Oh, no doubt about that...I wouldn't recommend it in a competitive game, though.  I did bring down a flyrant with a mob like that (minus Azzy, even) a few years back, but that's a single model with a single digit number of attacks and the D6 system definitely works in favor of a mob of trash versus a single elite model.  Plus, the commie wasn't forced to the front rank at that time the way he is now.  So in spite of the fact that I'm not recommending this approach, I did use it in the past, but only for fun.  By the way, after my mob killed the flyrant, the survivors (about 20...out of a starting 50) were eaten by raveners.

I do have a squad of veterans and devastators in the backfield with heavy weapons ( 2 plasma cannons, 2 missle launchers, a lascannon, a stormbolter, a plasmagun and a bunch of regular bolters) guarding them so maybe that can be of use. For a competitive list I'm still contemplating how to mold my army, I'm probably going to ally with either the SM to get a raven and a stormtalon as I find the DA's AA support a bit lackluster. I haven't decided yet what my DA part will consist of.

~shrug~  Regardless of what army I'm fielding, I find AA support a bit unnecessary.   Or, rather, I find that obsessing over it and taking more of it than is prudent weakens me in other areas, leading to defeat when I don't face a lot of air. 

Sure, if I face nine vendettas, I'm screwed.  But do you know what?  If I modify my list to handle nine vendettas, I'm screwed against every list that doesn't have nine vendettas.  I would plan on facing 1-2 fliers whose death or survival won't alter the outcome of the game, and take the appropriate measures.  As in, don't overdo it.  My primary anti-air in a green list is a lascannon devastator squad supported by a PFG-toting librarian with prescience.  It should get about one S9 hit per round of shooting at a flier, with a 50% chance to pen AV12.  But if the squad is shooting at a tank instead, it's going to be four S9 AP2 hits...kablooey!  So they're not really an anti-air unit, they're just a unit that's capable of AA duties in a pinch.  That's a much better approach than spending points that are wasted if you're not shooting down aircraft.

Archived