thoughts on vindicators

Pyro X

so I got a butt ton of DW and RW and I've mostly got all I need for both (HA, like you can have too many models for anything) and I'm working on my greenwing and I'm going mostly mech on it. I've got 4 rhinos/razorbacks, 4 tacs, and 3 predators. I'm wondering how good are vindicators with whatever else we can bring for the post costs. I know they are kinda cheap for a str 10 pie plate, just wondering people exp fielding them and if I should get 1-3. I tend to play apoc everyone once in a while else I'd prob just stick with the 3 preds and call it a day.

I like them.  I wouldn't field just one, though, it's zero or at least two.  It's one of those things where one is a target, three is a threat.  I would also consider a set of whirlwinds.  Those are amazing for the cost.  Except for the opportunity cost involved in filling one of three heavy FOC slots, WWs are even cost effective at killing MEQs.  But they're just dynamite against carapace and less.

That might be my solution for playing my list at 2000 points: sandwich a vindie between the two crusaders.  It's narrow enough that all three tanks could still be in range of the PFG, and LOS to the PFG would be nil.  And no side armor visible on the vindie (so, if you shoot it from in that arc, it's AV11, but with a 3++)  Oh, that's nasty!  What're you gonna do now, suicide melta deepstrikers?

/edit/

I gather that the siege shield option lets you ignore difficult terrain outright, while the dozer blade just rerolls immobs?  But where is the $%#$ rule?  On a related note, since I was looking at vehicle upgrades, I see that it says "may take up to one of the following:"  That could be understood to mean that the vehicle may not have more than one, including the one that comes as standard equipment, as in no second stormbolter.  That's not what I think GW meant, but...  In any case, I think a Vindie with second SB (1/3 chance of losing the demolisher cannon on a weapon destroyed result!), siege shield, and XA takes up precisely the 150 points needed to get my list from 1850 to 2k.  I'd probably spend 145 anyway, on the second SB, a dozer blade, and XA, and 5 points aren't a lot in a DW list.

That might be my solution for playing my list at 2000 points: sandwich a vindie between the two crusaders. It's narrow enough that all three tanks could still be in range of the PFG, and LOS to the PFG would be nil. And no side armor visible on the vindie (so, if you shoot it from in that arc, it's AV11, but with a 3++) Oh, that's nasty! What're you gonna do now, suicide melta deepstrikers?

And just imagine those times when your librarian scores perfect timing drool.gif .

The only way that could be better is if you run raven guard as allies and scout move the vindi forward 12" then that the 1st turn lol

Now, now!  No need to get greedy!  LOL...the vindie is range-matched to the crusaders, so I'm liking this more by the minute.  I don't care what cheese you can pull off by using a second FOC at 2k, that added vindie completely upsets the calculus.  Anything that would otherwise be trying to stop the crusaders on turns one and two is suddenly shooting at the vindie instead.  Yet another layer (in this case the decoy you can't ignore) of protection for the crusaders!

Slightly off-topic, but my reading of the double detachment option is that Belial/Sammael/Azrael only change Deathwing/Ravenwing to troops in one of your two force org charts. Am I wrong?

I gather that the siege shield option lets you ignore difficult terrain outright, while the dozer blade just rerolls immobs? But where is the $%#$ rule?

Codex: DA P65 - Siege Shield

BRB P87 - Dozer Blade

smile.png

Archived