After some help with getting Deathwing started.

The Rogue Gamer

Hi fellow followers of the Lion.

I have been playing DA for a few years now and have been meaning to get my Deathwing on the table for some time. After collecting 3500 points worth of Ravenwing I feel now is the time to get started.

I have 30 terminators, 5 kights, a mortis contempter with assault cannons and cyclone, a Ceastus Assault ram and 2 landraiders ( a god hammer and a crusader sill in box ).

I have enough hammers and storm sheilds for 20 terminators and all the bits left over from the knights.

Now I think that Balial is best run with THSS so ill go down that route for him. And I'll be ordering a terminator librarian soon.

Now for the questions.

Is it worth taking a command squad?

I like the idea of 10 man squad with 2 Assault cannons deepstriking in. Is this viable?

Do I go crusader or redeemer?

Is it worth getting a second contemper?

And what list would you build with the gear I've got at either 2000 or 2500 points?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this post and hopefully reply.

I also have 4 cyclone launchers.

1.  Is it worth taking a command squad?

2.  I like the idea of 10 man squad with 2 Assault cannons deepstriking in. Is this viable?

3.  Do I go crusader or redeemer?

4.  Is it worth getting a second contemper?

5.  And what list would you build with the gear I've got at either 2000 or 2500 points?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this post and hopefully reply.

I also have 4 cyclone launchers.

99% opinion with a few facts in there...

Yes/no/maybe...  What type playstyle are you going after?  Shooty, Assaulty (I'm guessing assaulty) or a mix of the two?

1.  Command squad with banner (Deathwing and SoF) is very useful just remember that it isnt a scoring unit and you are already a very low model count army.

2.  The Idea is much more appealing than the actuality is.  Split fire is all well and good but a 10 man squad on 40mm bases is very unwieldy and  hard to keep in a formation that is useful all the time...

3.  Crusader AND Redeemer.  Chuck the Godhammer lascannons in the bits bin, use the TLHB as a basis for an AC mount using the barrels from the RW sprue and run one of each.

4.  Do you want another Contemptor?  Then Yes it is.

5.  I am gonna point you to march10k's assaulty list:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/281946-repost-by-popular-demand-mechdwa-deathwing-1850/?do=findComment&comment=3495750

it is truly scary on paper but I havent tried it yet cause I am trying to get 1500 of RW to work...

Rogue Gamer,

So I was looking at it and I started using Knights over TH/SS almost all the time. They score is about the only redeeming factor anymore in my opinion. The Toughness boost plus still having storm shields makes them better plus smite will allow you to kill any unit you need to. I know people complain about it but lets be honest you smite for one turn a game and whatever unit is pretty much toast and if it has worked out right then it is the uber deathstar unit of doom that needed to die anyway so really there isn't a problem. An example for me is I took 5 Knights in a Crusader against 10 terminators (tac) and a Chapter Master with TH/SS and four wounds. I actually lost one of them to overwatch (can you believe that?) and still the four of them murdered 8 of the squad and the Knight Master took the Chapter Master down to one wound in two rounds of fighting. Good rolling admittedly and poor saves on his part but still 5 v 11 and they were friggin monsters. It was a huge 13K v 13K four players each side battle and they all stopped to watch this combat. My two cents of course and I'm not trying to pull you away from TH/SS if that's what you really want I just know the Knights work a lot better for me personally.

I've found a 10 Man with Assault Cannon good if you place them on a flank and focus on one unit and destroy it. Preferrably the one that will do the most damage (plasma Devastators etc) then let them march through the backfield. Great distraction unit that can pull the enemy out of position I've found. Use some bikes for no scatter if it really worries you about the Deepstrike. I've also found against non PA that two Heavy Flamers work well with a Libby with Pyro. If you place right and use split fire you can remove two squads of Fire warriors etc. If your enemy set up is packed or just poor placement.

Good Luck

DoC

I've also found that the 1st Company Master coming in with a 10-man TDA squad, one heavy flamer and one cyclone for the special weapons, can be devestating.  I dropped that in on a guard player and wrecked both a command squad and a LR that was anchoring that part of his line.  I did it against Chaos and dropped a Defiler with the cyclone while the rest of the squad cut down half a squad of Thousand Sons.

Don't forget that the 1st Company Master doesn't scatter when he deepstrikes in, nor does whatever unit with Inner Circle that he's joined.  The Vengeful Strike ability coupled with that really allows you to destroy whatever the true problem is on the table, and it's just as good when you have the TDA units come in with your bikes providing the teleport homer (has done that in a couple games as well).

Hi fellow followers of the Lion.

1.  Is it worth taking a command squad?

2.  I like the idea of 10 man squad with 2 Assault cannons deepstriking in. Is this viable?

3.  Do I go crusader or redeemer?

4.  Is it worth getting a second contemper?

5.  And what list would you build with the gear I've got at either 2000 or 2500 points?

1.  Only if you don't take knights.  Neither kind is scoring, and you can really only afford one non-scoring squad if you're spamming terminators.  Well, maybe at 2500 points, you can have both.  If you do take a command squad, get a champion and a standard bearer, the apothecary is kinda meh.

2.  A ten man squad with two heavy flamers and belial is viable...no scatter, then two templates that land precisely where you want them to, and up to 9 stormbolters (depending on whether you mix in a few thunderhammers for AP2 defense)

3.  Crusader.  Hands down.  The templates on the redeemer are so incredibly hard to line up, since you're moving a shoebox-sized model around, not an infantryman...and you'll be lucky to shoot the flamer twice a game.  The stormbolters on the crusader can shoot six times in a six turn game, if you want.  In the long run, that's much killier, even against MEQs, and it's no contest against anything lighter than power armor.

4.  I don't know.  I don't use dreadnoughts in 6th (they were a standard part of my 5th edition lists), but if I used one, it would be with two twinlinked autocannons, not assault cannons.

5.  I would get a librarian on a bike and some vindicators.

To add to March10K's points....

1. The best reason to build Knights and Command Squad is the joy of building and painting them, as they are such cool miniatures! Get some spare bits off ebay and build both squads from 1 box. You've already got more terminators than you can fit in a 2000 point list, so why worry...

4. I would take the Kheres Assault Cannons over autocannons any day of the week on a Contemptor. If I added a second dread, then I would probably go with the IA Mortis Dreadnought with 2 lascannons, rather than a second Contemptor. The two different weapon systems compliment each other well against vehicles and flyers.

Oh, and finally.... Belial with sword and storm bolter FTW

smile.png

Oh...kheres assault cannons...agreed, those are boss.  I, too, have a deathwing command squad purely for the joy of ownership...it looks good in pictures, but with a DWA/mech list, I field knights instead, so they've never seen the table top. 

Archived