SM allies for DA

Barnie25

So upon returning to the game I first started collecting SM but after I fell in love with the Ravenwing Bikes, which I originally bought to be used as regular SM bikes, I decided to switch over to DA entirely.

I did however already bought a Stormraven and a Stormtalon and a SM captain, that one however is still in sprues so I can still decide how to kitt him.

Is it possible to use DA colored termi's and tacticals as SM units, say Salamanders or is that a no go?

In games over 1500 points I might Ally with the SM in order to use these awesome flyers. I was thinking of Iron Hand as the It Will Not Die special rule is kind of neat for vehicles.

Are there any tips or suggestions how to solve this conundrum as I don't want my money to go to waste.

its perfectly fine, as long as you tell your opponent that 'X unit is actually from C: SM' and you pay the prices for said unit. Just make sure that they know whats what, and don't change mid-game. 

In non tourney games I can see this, do you also know what the tourney rules for these things are? As most of the DA units are actually C"SM units (such as dreadnoughts e.g.)

The way I was planning on doing this was painting my tacticals in two color ways:

1. Base green for dedicated DA units with black accents

2. Base Black with green accents for the units that I want to switch out between matches

I myself am thinking of fielding Iron Hands as an allies

I will paint them as dark angels with only small icons on their shoulderpads indicating that they're using iron hands rules

I'm thinking about fielding:
Chapter Master with Primarch's Wrath and Shield Eternal and unit of 5-10 tac squad in Stormraven.

By doing this I cover the two things tha we lack the most in my eyes, heavy flyer, hard hitting hard to kill character who has 2+/3++/6+FNP/5+It Will Not Die with S6 AP2 blinding weapon

I will paint them as dark angels with only small icons on their shoulderpads indicating that they're using iron hands rules

Chapter Master with Primarch's Wrath and Shield Eternal and unit of 5-10 tac squad in Stormraven.

By doing this I cover the two things tha we lack the most in my eyes, heavy flyer, hard hitting hard to kill character who has 2+/3++/6+FNP/5+It Will Not Die with S6 AP2 blinding weapon

You're probably referring to the Burning blade, which is +3 S AP 2, the Primarch's Wrath is a boltgun. Don't you think that not using the Raven as transport will favor his qualities more? That way it doesn't have to touch down to land an risk being shot at.

I probably want to kit my Chapter Master with a bike, a burning blade and shield eternal, its expensive but it does hit really hard.

You could also pick a successor chapter and paint them in that scheme (or a DIY successor). It's plausible that certain successors may have a fighting style and organization more akin to the standard chapters as opposed to their parent chapter. They should stand out on the board as well, yet all the schemes are fairly complimentary to that of the DA. I could see the consecrators using Iron Hands rules to a certain degree. Given that they are the keepers of the Legions oldest relics and such, I always considered them more tech-savvy.

In friendly games, I see no reason however why you couldn't just take any of your DA models and denote certain units as using C:SM. I'm sure you and your opponent can keep track of which is which and if you find if difficult you could always make a maker of some sort to go with squads.

You could also pick a successor chapter and paint them in that scheme (or a DIY successor).

this is what I started doing in 5th with Angels of Vengeance. they tie in with my normal DA's if I want to run a full DA army or I can use one army or the other as allies based on another codex. it was also a break from painting green (DA and Orks was getting a bit repetitive) though I didn't get very far even then. successors also allow a bit more license for customising colour schemes/heraldry etc.

Archived