Death Company Help

KnightOfBAAL

due to the extreme costs of our Librarians, plain lv 1 with divination and 99% of the time the primaris power. Certain situations will however make good use of powers 2,3 and 4. Choose to replace wisely.

I go the other way, due to the cost of our librarians I usually use codex powers such as sanguine sword or fear of the dark

In a Death Company setting, I don't see any reason to pick either of those.  Rerolls for the whole squad trumps sanguine sword any day - while fear of darkness has it's uses, it's sutuational and about worthless against other marines.

I'm still finding a place for libby's within the DC.  I can't get over the re-roll to hit and wound on a charge with a chaplain.  The occasions when I don't get the charge are slim to none, and that would be the ONLY time a libby is worth it in my opinion with prescience.

Libbys and chappys cost the same base cost, but the chappy comes with a 4++ and gives you re-rolls on the charge.

Libbys come with a force weapon, no invul, and powers in which you have to roll for every turn.  In which you may PotW and take a wound for some re-rolling hits until the next turn...  Not worth it for me.

Points wise, I think the chappy owns that situation within the DC.  

Libby's are more suited in other squads like sternguard where prescience on special ammo is far more valuable, re-rolling to hit with sniper scouts, devastators shooting at fliers/tanks...

Chaplains are auto include in DC for me.  But if I just so happen to have a libby in my  list, and am worried about not making a charge, and will get counter charged, I could very well cast prescience on them if the libby is nearby for an insurance policy.  Also good for ongoing combats. (But you should be destroying your target 1st turn.)

The whole point of DC though is that you GET the charge.  Otherwise you aren't utilizing them to their Rage USR to its full potential.  You just need to be smart with them, pre measure your distances and know whether you can make a successful charge or not.  Which brings me back to my point of including a chappy with them for their charge bonus.

Thanks sanguine.

Idealy if there would be a way to put a chappie with the CC squad lib with the bolter ones would be good

But you don't take DC w/ bolters to stand their and shoot...  They are just more flexible, being able to rapid fire, and then assault.  I run my bolter DC with a chappy as well.  DC w/ bolters are still getting 4 attacks on the charge w/ re roll hits and wounds. Nasty. (with no chance of PotW)

Compared to 4 attacks on the charge w/ re roll to hit (with a chance to PotW)

There are just more buffs to an assaulting DC unit with a chappy over a DC unit with a libby, bolters or not.  Lemartes is a good choice as well, and is a beast when he takes a wound.

And if you are running two squads (cc and bolters) then you are including Astorath already anyways, and the squad he's joined is most likely equipped with jp's.  Essentially giving you fleet if activating your packs in the assault phase, for a near guarantee assault within reason.

Now back to the DC w/ bolters.  They aren't designed to stand and shoot, their mobile killing machines that still need to get into combat.  They can move, shoot, and assault with their bolters.  Otherwise, they might as well be a tactical squad with a priest for the same effect, but would be cheaper and have access to special and heavy weapons.  So, again this is my personal opinion that a chappy with bolter DC is still far more valuable than a libby with prescience. 

But everyone has their opinions.  Mine are based on that I have tried using libbys with DC before, and found they didn't work to my specific needs in game.

There is merit in running a librarian in a DC heavy list because codex powers like fear and lance can help you deal with transports and units faster than you. The two main weaknesses of a DC list. 

There are better ways of doing it but it depends on how much you want to compromise the theme. 

There is merit in running a librarian in a DC heavy list because codex powers like fear and lance can help you deal with transports and units faster than you. The two main weaknesses of a DC list.

There are better ways of doing it but it depends on how much you want to compromise the theme.

This list is just for fun really Have to say I've usually had reclusiarch's with my DC unit I'm going to have a little go with both It's an excuse to build another model and think a Libby May work well along side a reclusiarch or chappie in the FT list I'm putting together I need to take a close look at the Libby if he can help with my tanks shooting etc Can't hurt to have a go I'm not competitive, it's just a bit of fun to me but nice to win sometimes though :-)

Sure, it's just a little trick you can play.  Let's say you pod down in the enemy deployment zone with some DC. If your opponent tries to move away, 'fear of the darkness' can bring him back into range as he always will make the fall back move towards his own table edge and therefor deployment zone.

FotD has more uses than just chasing things off the table edge. With a little luck you can even destroy units that you manage to surround. Not at all impossible with a few podded units.  

Under wargear it states that Death Company are equipped with either a Boltgun or a Bolt Pistol. Neither C:BA or the BA:FAQ state that all models should be the same. Firstly I would recommend re-reading your Codex and then, ask the person that told you this where the rule is that they should all be equipped the same.

Under wargear it states that Death Company are equipped with either a Boltgun or a Bolt Pistol. Neither C:BA or the BA:FAQ state that all models should be the same. Firstly I would recommend re-reading your Codex and then, ask the person that told you this where the rule is that they should all be equipped the same.

Will read when I get home but think its tosh myself it doesn't state anywhere they all have to have the same

all of this info is very very good but honestly I just wanna know this

I want 2 5 man units of either shooty DC or combat

and I want to know what is probably the best for both

and I know eventually ill have to get astorath

so here is what im thinking

chaplan with Jump pack and a Ap 2 weapon if he can get one

with 2 5 man squads of JP DC with basic weapons and a PF in each squad

or

Libby with force axe and 2 squads of shooty DC

basically where do I start

You can't really make a 'good' 500 pt DC list, hard enough to make one at 2000 pts!

However, if you are just looking at a starting point for what to purchase you really can't go wrong with DC box or two and a librarian. Maybe a transport and dread too. 

Jump librarian with 6 jump DC and a talon DC dread in a pod comes down at 495 pts. It's a legal list but not very good. 

Magnetize the backpacks and jump packs on your death company so you can switch.

Sorry this thread has gone off on a tangent. If you're interested, I run a Death Company list at 1250 points and it can be found here.

all of this info is very very good but honestly I just wanna know this

I want 2 5 man units of either shooty DC or combat

and I want to know what is probably the best for both

and I know eventually ill have to get astorath

so here is what im thinking

chaplan with Jump pack and a Ap 2 weapon if he can get one

with 2 5 man squads of JP DC with basic weapons and a PF in each squad

or

Libby with force axe and 2 squads of shooty DC

basically where do I start

In order to have more than one squad of Death Company outside of Apocalypse games, you need to have Astorath. This is non-negotiable. If you don't have him yet, proxy him until you do.

In my opinion, competitive and 500 points do not go hand in hand and Death Company are really expensive at that level. This means you will only get limited numbers on the field - possibly lacking delivery - and this will be very detrimental to your battle(s).

I also believe that any Death Company force requires a lot of support to utilise it properly. Army lists full of black marines are too one dimensional and you will need things like Stormravens, Baals, etc, in order to compete.

Archived