Dr_King_Schultz Space marines

Dr_King_Schultz

Long story short, I didn't like the way the blue was turning up, in fact I was always changing my mind... So I decided to redo everything! Here's the result so far.. I know, it's nothing really interesting but still..

Au contraire good sir. I have been waiting for you to drop by and make this post for quite some time. It is in fact for me one of the most interesting posts I have seen here in B+C.

Prepare to have your brain well and truly picked, and consider yourself friended.

Right to begin with.

1. Brushes or airgun?

2. Colour list/ Paint range?

3. Can you pretty please post up a tutorial for how you got to this stage? It can be your Christmas present to me. :) If you agree to this, then please imagine you are writing it for a 3 year old and go into exquisite detail along with timings etc for each stage.

Can't tell you how grateful I would be.

Excited now. :)

Merci beaucoup for the comments guys! It means a lot!
And Rhetoricus, my friend, it would be my pleasure to answer all your questions!
1. Both ; I only use my airbrush for the base color, with the zenithal highlight technique(which is a kind of general guideline for my lights/shadows). To save time. Skip the boring part. And since it's a Space Marine I can do this in about 5 minutes and start the fun right away!
The rest is all brushwork.

2. For the colors; I use nearly every range avaible; GW(old ones), P3, Vallejo and Andrea.
For the Yellow Marine tho ; Rucksack Tan(P3), Sanguine Base(P3), Battlefield Brown(P3), Guncorps Brown(P3), Flat Black(Andrea), Menoth White Base(P3)... that's about it for now tongue.png might get worse...

3. I'll try my best to explain but it was pretty messy and back and forth...
a)Airbrush base with Rucksack Tan(RST) to get an very smooth and good base.
b)I started the shadows by adding a bit of Saguine Base to my base.
c)Added some black to the mix (which gave me a dark/grey/purple/brown mix).
d)I started some highlights by adding Menoth White Base to RST.

That's about it so far!

I hope it helps!

Certainly does help. But. Need. More. Details. Haha :P

This is pretty much the look I've been chasing for my fists for ages.

So if alls you're using the airgun for is the base coat, I should be fine with the citadel airgun right?

Regarding shadows, apart from the obvious recess' where did you paint these.

How do you avoid the paint running on the model with you diluting it so much? Also I don't really understand the proportions you listed. 60:70 = 130 no?

Finally could you break down your glazing process for me please.

This really is a stunning start to the model, and I would feel honoured and privileged if you could help me recreate it.

Thanks mate. :)

Sure thing I would be glad to help you mate! And I apologize for my bad writting, I'm French Canadian...

Citadel spray gun; Since it's only for the basecoat, it should do the job.

Regarding shadows; I'm using a simple technique called "zenithal highlighting", in other words, the light is coming from the TOP of the miniature. Pick up your mini and put it under your lamp. Then simply check it from the top to see where the lights and shadows fall whenever you think it's needed. 

For the dilution; I simply remove the excess of paint and water on a towel before applying it. So it's very controlled.

For the proportions; 60% water/ 40% paint. But the proportion of water might change depending of what I paint!

Its looking superb bud, and I vote helmet, but then I have a thing against helmetless marines.

EDIT: If I may be so bold, would you mind posting your pics a little larger please? Just so its easier to take in the awesomeness. Cheers bud.

Nope they're still the same size. The way I do it is view the pic in my gallery. Click on options, then view all sizes, select medium size, right click and copy the picture, then use the image button in the thread and paste the url. 

I'm sure that's a long convoluted way of doing things and someone can probably tell you a much simpler way to do it in three clicks or something but it works for me.

There we go. Magnifique. Beautiful work mate, I love it. Reverse shot now now good sir, if you would be so kind. I know I'm terribly demanding but you can't do work of this quality and then not show it off to its fullest! More, more :)

• 3 weeks later...

Huh. I would've never tried purple eyelenses on Imperial Fists, but now that I see it, it looks pretty nice. Bright enough to stand out, but dark enough not to clash.

Well done all around, sir. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

• 2 months later...

Good evening.

For the past few weeks I've been working on a new SM project, Captain Elias of the Soul Blighters. Still a few things to be done. I apologize for the bad pictures (as usual). Sadly we can't see a lot but the purple is very rich in green and red tones.. Boy those new SM kits are so insane. Hope you'll enjoy.

gallery_75136_9046_68642.jpg

Archived