Codex:Inquisition; Anything for the DA?

CovertToaster

I know that including the inquisition in a DA force is against all DA fluff but I have a bit of a soft spot for space nazis who declare exterminatus on worlds due to different religous beliefs (just saying!).

However there is one advantage for the DA in that for the inclusion of a 25 point inquisitor we can take a Valkyrie as a dedicated transport. While one may not seem like much they are still much better than taking a nephilim, 125 points for an AV12 gunship with a transport capacity sounds fantastic to me, all inquisitors treat marines as battle brothers so you can dump a unit of plasma vets in with the inquisitor and grav chute insert them to delete an opposing unit.

There are a few specifics but nothing too major. You essentially run an inquisitorial detachment  in addition to your normal primary and allied detachments. There is no requirement for the inquisitor to be the armies warlord so you can still use Azreal if you wish. If you use non-imperial allies then the inquisitor may not like them at all as they have their own allies matrix, but that only includes the real nasties like orks, DE, crons etc. There is also no need to include a unit of troops (the codex has none anyway) so the tax to run a valkyrie is quite low and the inquisition has access to psybolt ammo for it's vehicles and psycannons for ordo malleus inquisitors which to me makes it more than acceptable.

That's basically it, you can take a henchman warband if you like but why? Just take the one thing that the DA codex lacks, a good flyer, and rejoice that we can now do nephilim --> valkyrie conversions for some added variety on the table top. Whether you can field more than one I'm unsure of as that depends on whether you can run two HQ's in your primary detachment and 2 HQ's in your inquisitorial detachment and I'm not going to look it up. I'm definitely building a valkyrie and an inquisitor even if I just use them in lower points games to give my army more punch when the model count is low.

Just putting this here for anyone that might be interested.

While one may not seem like much they are still much better than taking a nephilim, 125 points for an AV12 gunship with a transport capacity sounds fantastic to me, all inquisitors treat marines as battle brothers so you can dump a unit of plasma vets in with the inquisitor and grav chute insert them to delete an opposing unit.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed to me that even a battle brother couldn't embark in an allied transport...

While one may not seem like much they are still much better than taking a nephilim, 125 points for an AV12 gunship with a transport capacity sounds fantastic to me, all inquisitors treat marines as battle brothers so you can dump a unit of plasma vets in with the inquisitor and grav chute insert them to delete an opposing unit.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed to me that even a battle brother couldn't embark in an allied transport...

No you're right just looked it up and it's the one thing that you can't do. Also valkyries are the one vehicle that can't take vehicle equipment so no psybolt ammo for the heavy bolter sponsons.

Still I'm taking an ordo malleus inquisitor with power armour and a hellrifle to go in my scout squad since a hellrifle is essentially a more powerful sniper rifle and bringing a valkyrie along for 173 points. Cheaper than lascannon devs and an ADL with quad gun but fills the same role.

how are they ran? I looked over the new dex and didn't see how to include them as an ally choice. they have no troops etc.

edit: nevermind, I found it. its under "the Emperor's Will" part.

how are they ran? I looked over the new dex and didn't see how to include them as an ally choice. they have no troops etc.

They are taken as an inquisitorial detachment on top of the primary and allied detachments so no need for troops. Which means that in theory GW are allowing 3 HQ's, one for each detachment, unless they FAQ it out of existence.

I just checked though and I'm wrong you actually have to take a warband as well as the inquisitor to unlock the transport, can't find any reference in the inquisitors entry to transports, so less appealing since you need to spend about 50 points on a reasonable warband also, even if it's a dirt cheap unit, making the cost more like to 225 points still something I might consider as a mobile denial unit.

I know that including the inquisition in a DA force is against all DA fluff...

Not at all. The Dark Angels are a normal Space Marine army unless the Fallen are the target. Dark Angels would work with an Inquisitor just like any other chapter. They might not invite them to the Rock for a brew and a friendly game of Stratego, of course, but as long as the Inquisitor is held at arm's length from the inner workings of the chapter, there's no reason why they shouldn't ally on the battlefield.

Hmmm...I wonder if the inquisition can handle enemy warlord krumping duties for us?  Seems like they specialize in dealing with powerful single models, no?

/edit/

And an excuse to bring my OHIL out of retirement sounds fantastic...I'd want to deploy her and her retinue in an arvus lighter, though, not a gunship...purely for fluff reasons, you understand.

Hi all,

list of random things I noticed/ found cool. No game changers.

1) Love the idea to field an inquisitor with a DA army, fluff wise. In my mind this reflects how the DA are under extreme scrutiny of the Inquisition!

2) Arco Flagellants and Azrael with furious charge warlord trait: 5 S6 attacks on the charge, feel no pain and 4++. Throw in a priest for 4+++ in the assault phase.  

3) Mystics/ Servo Skulls to call in a LS Vengeance (and DW squads of course)

4) Inquisitors have access to Divination. Meaning that together with the DA Librarians, you can have 4 prescience beacons in your army or, alternatively,  free up your DA HQ slots for stuff other than Librarians.

5) I love Crusader Henchmen in a DA army. Fluff-wise, I wouldn't play them as Inquisitorial Henchmen but as something like DA Henchmen... 

6) Psychers: If I read it correctly, a points investment similar to what you would pay for an attack bike gives you a S7, AP2 large blast glass cannon. 7) Can you DWA inquisitors in terminator armour if attached to a DW unit, in particular Belial's unit? If yes you could add up to two psycannons/ combiweapons to the squad you precision deep strike.

I was very excited when I saw the announcement of the inquisition codex. Actually the concept reflect more how inquisition work rather than codex Gk or WH.

I'm also looking forward to see more "allied codex" in the future (tau colonies, eldar pirates, gene stealer cults...). Those are simple ways to add depth to an army at low cost (both for GW and us)

Me too MA.

Be great to get a termy-armoured Inq back into a Deathwing list - possibly with a warband retinue - with some of their neat toys.

And yes looks like they can take on Warlord duties too which for a Deathwing army could be awesome instead of relying on Belial.

All in all for a smallish supplement Codex it could have far reaching impact on list-building. Expect to see ][s popping up everywhere.

Note that only Ordo Malleus inquisitors have access to termy armour. Which does cut down choices somewhat.

Cheers

I

Me too MA.

Be great to get a termy-armoured Inq back into a Deathwing list - possibly with a warband retinue - with some of their neat toys.

And yes looks like they can take on Warlord duties too which for a Deathwing army could be awesome instead of relying on Belial.

All in all for a smallish supplement Codex it could have far reaching impact on list-building. Expect to see ][s popping up everywhere.

Note that only Ordo Malleus inquisitors have access to termy armour. Which does cut down choices somewhat.

Cheers
I

Ordo Malleus inquisitors get most of the good options in this but I'm planning on a small squad of crusader's and death cult assasins with a termy armoured inquisitor. You can use the terminator armour to tank for the squad, keeping a couple of crusader's close to look out sir AP2 shooting attacks onto their SS, and then using DCA's to maximise the number of power weapon attacks they can throw out. I was planing on using them in a Valkyrie for MEQ/monster hunting duties, a basic 5 man squad and transport comes to 255pts all up.

The grimoire of true names with a terminator inquisitor is a great combo as the daemonbane rule on the daemon hammer says that if you wound a multi wound daemon with it and they fail a Ld test they are removed as a casualty and the grimoire of true name lowers a daemons Ld, WS, and I by 5. It's also the cheapest relic at only 5 pts great if you have problems with flying daemons in your area this combo should give them a headache.

I can see an Inquisitor competing for a position with a librarian especially if all you want is an ML1 psyker for prescience then a power armoured inquisitor with force sword and ML1 is 63 pts, the terminator version is 95 pts. The argument over which is better is largely based on preference/playstyle as they are both pretty close. I think a libby with a force sword is still slightly better because of the psychic hood but that's debateable and depends on a few factors so I can see librarians being replaced in some armies.

I'm going cheap if I bring one at all.  OH, null rod, 3 servoskulls, power armor 67 points and done. Very nice cheap alternative warlord (since Belial's going in harm's way), and between the psychout grenades and the null rod, any enemy psycher not in TDA better watch out.  At the same time, unless such a witch-slaying opportunity presents itself, no need for the lady to dismount.

/edit/ I love the servo skulls.  Slapping them on top of objectives, or around the relic, or simply in terrain you don't want the enemy sniper team to occupy?  Solid gold for 3 points.  Works well with a non-LOS WW, too...gets you LOS-like scatter without exposing yourself to return fire.

Peeps are gunna use them skulls against our RW scout moves, life just isn't fair msn-wink.gif

Just outflank them more often. Also if you tubo boost out they self destruct when you get to within 6" of them so I question the usefulness of servo skulls. After all they can't direct much artillery if the enemy can't come near them; even at 3 points each only stopping scout moves is a little underwhelming.

Peeps are gunna use them skulls against our RW scout moves, life just isn't fair ;)

Worse than that, I've just finished to read a post on another forum talking about Tau allied with "sentinels of terra"... Shadow sun accompanies centurions with grav guns and give +3 to their cover saves and reroll the 1s to hit and a shas'o goes with the ML/LC centurions to give them twin linked + tank hunters...

Gah

Why GW, why you didn't limit ate the codex inquisition to SM and IG armies?

They stop scout moves AND infiltration.  I'm not concerned with reducing scatter.  But using them to keep a sniper team out of a good firing position is worth a lot more than three points.  Plus, space them properly, and they cut off six feet of scout moves.  You just line them up precisely two feet apart, starting 12" in from the board edge, 1" outside the enemy deployment zone, and you have a 75" no-scouting curtain.  Imagine a ravenwing army up against that.  That's not worth 9 points?  When most tables are only 72" wide?  On the flip side, imagine using that for a turn one DWA.  It's almost precise enough for heavy flamers, and a damned sight cheaper (and harder to counter) than bikes.  You put one on the edge of the deployment zone, and a second one where destroying the first puts the enemy unit in the crosshairs of a DWA on top of the second.  Hell, even for misdirection, they're great, since they go in before deployment.  Decide not to use them, then use them to give the enemy false ideas about your plan...before he deploys!

They stop scout moves AND infiltration.  I'm not concerned with reducing scatter.  But using them to keep a sniper team out of a good firing position is worth a lot more than three points.  Plus, space them properly, and they cut off six feet of scout moves.  You just line them up precisely two feet apart, starting 12" in from the board edge, 1" outside the enemy deployment zone, and you have a 75" no-scouting curtain.  Imagine a ravenwing army up against that.  That's not worth 9 points?  When most tables are only 72" wide?  On the flip side, imagine using that for a turn one DWA.  It's almost precise enough for heavy flamers, and a damned sight cheaper (and harder to counter) than bikes.  You put one on the edge of the deployment zone, and a second one where destroying the first puts the enemy unit in the crosshairs of a DWA on top of the second.  Hell, even for misdirection, they're great, since they go in before deployment.  Decide not to use them, then use them to give the enemy false ideas about your plan...before he deploys!

If you consider that you have a 6' x 4' board and you set up the servo skulls across the middle so they were exactly 12" away from the edge of each deployment zone then you could lock down the centre of the board from scouts or infiltrators. If you were going to DWA then you could DS right on the edge of your opponents deployment zone with d6" scatter then they would easily be worth the investment. But you are still relying on going first or hoping your opponent can't get something out 6" past the edge of their deployment zone, which any unit in any army can accomplish, so I would still question the practicality of spending that 9 points.

I think you may lure some opponents into deploying right at the front of their deployment zone and bringing them into range of more weapons; but I just don't think that they would be particularly good players. If I set a tactical squad at the edge of my deployment zone moved 6", ran d6" in the shooting phase you can potentially be standing right next to the servo skull.

Dedicated gunlines won't care as they never leave their deployment zone and your reduced scatter may annoy them if you can DWA in force and successfully roll a flank. With the DWA nerf you're only dropping 3 or 4 DW units close to them so it's not a given that you will pull that off and if you can't then there's a good chance that you will lose the game when your opponent kills enough of your terminators.

Ravenwing players might be annoyed but they can outflank more and tubo boost out to make up some ground so it's not too hard to play around.

Basically I thought the same thing as you when I first read the servo skull entry (great only 9 points to get under someones skin!) but when I took a close look I decided that they are ok they just seem to lack something extra that makes all of your opponents actually care.

Although if you wanted to run heavy in scouts or ravenwing then using servo skulls to lock any opposing scout forces out would be downright hilarious!

I wouldn't take an inquisitor for the express purpose of getting at the servo skulls, but if you already have an inquisitor for whatever reason, 9 points is a steal for the skulls.  I think it's a given that they'll be evaporated just as soon as the enemy wants them to, so they're really only worthwhile for their impact before turn one. 

You underestimate the impact on ravenwing.  First, outflanking means they can't shoot on turn one, while a scout move can allow a first turn melta strike.  Then, if they have to tubo-boost when they do arrive from reserves, that's no shooting till turn 3 or 4, depending on arrival.  So you have two massive negatives there, first that you get significantly fewer turns of shooting, and second that the shooting that you do get comes later.  A turn one shot is more valuable than a turn four shot because an enemy weapon silenced on turn one loses 5-6 turns of shooting, versus 2-3.  Additionally, the ravenwing player has to start something on the board, and it better be beefy enough that he still has models on the board at the end of turn one.  Whatever that is is going to be soaking up all of the enemy fire.  That's called feeding your army to the enemy piecemeal.  Outflanking is supposed to be used selectively by a fraction of your army in situations where the significant loss of shooting potential and the reduction in the number of targets that enemy shooting is initially faced with are outweighed by some benefit.  Most of the time, for units that can turbo-boost, whatever mission the outflanker would have accomplished can be accomplished sooner by starting on the board while forcing the enemy to pay attention to the unit from the start, rather than focusing on other units while merely anticipating, rather than being forced to react to, the unit in question.  Ravenwing aren't "annoyed," their world is turned upside down.

In any case, Ravenwing are merely an example.  The impact of servo-skulls on enemy scout moves and infiltration is dramatic if you deploy them well.  In fact, if you know you're facing space marines with nothing but sniper scouts for troops (I had one player like that in my last shop), ravenwing, or some other armies that make good use of infiltration or scout moves, it's even worth 34 points for a naked inquisitor with 3 skulls.  Probably not worth 11 points per skull in a TAC list, though.

Archived