Codex:Inquisition; Anything for the DA?

CovertToaster

If you take a psyocculum and put in a 10m term squad and the use split fire, 1 storm bolter shooting at a psyker (at BS 10) and using split fire shouldn't the other target be BS 10 as well? After reading it a few times that's how it reads to me. I know its a little cheesy but I think it could work well. Scout in termies or dwa and join the scouting inq and use plasma cannons so you can reroll gets hot and it shouldn't scatter at all.

I am probly wrong on that but maybe it will be clearer in a faq

One combo leapt out:

C: I

2 x Inquisitor with Divination and conversion beamer; servo skulls

2 x warbands: 3 heavy bolter serivtor, psykers, bolter warrior, in Chimera

C: DA

2 x power field generator (on whomever you like -- librarians and techmarines are both good), going with the tac squads

2 x whirlwind

2 x 5-man tac squad, lascannon

(Optional) 2 x dread, 2 x speeder

Gets you a couple of lovely corner firebases, scoring and hard to dislodge. PFGs can protect the tac squads, the chimeras, and the whirlwinds with ease. Servo skulls reduce scatter from the c-beams and whirlwinds.

Pair with drop podding assault marines / black knights / terminators to contest forward objectives.

I wouldn't take an inquisitor for the express purpose of getting at the servo skulls, but if you already have an inquisitor for whatever reason, 9 points is a steal for the skulls.  I think it's a given that they'll be evaporated just as soon as the enemy wants them to, so they're really only worthwhile for their impact before turn one. 

You underestimate the impact on ravenwing.  First, outflanking means they can't shoot on turn one, while a scout move can allow a first turn melta strike.  Then, if they have to tubo-boost when they do arrive from reserves, that's no shooting till turn 3 or 4, depending on arrival.  So you have two massive negatives there, first that you get significantly fewer turns of shooting, and second that the shooting that you do get comes later.  A turn one shot is more valuable than a turn four shot because an enemy weapon silenced on turn one loses 5-6 turns of shooting, versus 2-3.  Additionally, the ravenwing player has to start something on the board, and it better be beefy enough that he still has models on the board at the end of turn one.  Whatever that is is going to be soaking up all of the enemy fire.  That's called feeding your army to the enemy piecemeal.  Outflanking is supposed to be used selectively by a fraction of your army in situations where the significant loss of shooting potential and the reduction in the number of targets that enemy shooting is initially faced with are outweighed by some benefit.  Most of the time, for units that can turbo-boost, whatever mission the outflanker would have accomplished can be accomplished sooner by starting on the board while forcing the enemy to pay attention to the unit from the start, rather than focusing on other units while merely anticipating, rather than being forced to react to, the unit in question.  Ravenwing aren't "annoyed," their world is turned upside down.

In any case, Ravenwing are merely an example.  The impact of servo-skulls on enemy scout moves and infiltration is dramatic if you deploy them well.  In fact, if you know you're facing space marines with nothing but sniper scouts for troops (I had one player like that in my last shop), ravenwing, or some other armies that make good use of infiltration or scout moves, it's even worth 34 points for a naked inquisitor with 3 skulls.  Probably not worth 11 points per skull in a TAC list, though.

That's a good answer and the reason why I post opinions is to learn from people who know more than myself. I have little knowledge of ravenwing armies so thank you I will store that knowledge away.

Gah

Why GW, why you didn't limit the codex inquisition to SM and IG armies?

IMHO the better question is why are Tau and SM battle brothers when they are constantly launching wars against each other?

Personally if wrote the Ally matrix it would be closer to the inquisition one, All Imperials are Battle Brothers, allies of convenience with Tau/Eldar.  In general I feel GW was a little to generous with the Tau and Eldar battle brother status

Gah

IMHO the better question is why are Tau and SM battle brothers when they are constantly launching wars against each other?

Personally if wrote the Ally matrix it would be closer to the inquisition one, All Imperials are Battle Brothers, allies of convenience with Tau/Eldar.  In general I feel GW was a little to generous with the Tau and Eldar battle brother status

I'm not thrilled with it, but I can see their reasoning...."the enemy of my enemy is my frenemy," or something like that.  I think the Imperium sees the tau as being potentially useful, if/when subjugated.  Yeah, they're xenos, but so are jokaero...  

And the eldar, well, they aren't attacking imperials whenever and wherever they find them, while they are at war with pretty much everyone else, just like the imperium.  Plus, their psychers can be so useful when it comes to countering chaos.

I agree that it should be allies of convenience, not battle brothers, but compared to nids, orks, deldar, and chaos?  Oh, yeah, tau and eldar are the good guys from the imperial perspective!

Also I just thought about it, the Inquisition basically makes Librarians obsolete. Techmarines can carry the field generators, and if you need psykers either a base inquisitor (if you would have wanted just a prescience buff somewhere) for cheaper, or Coteaz if you want a Mastery Level 2 for the same cost as a Mastery Level 2 Librarian and you get reroll seize rolls (your Opponent's too not just your own), a 2+ save to tank some wounds, an extra wound, the 12" interceptor bubble (FYI against all units not just 1), Preferred Enemy Daemons if you want to make him your warlord as well. Also if cheap scoring is your thing you can take Henchmen. Only real downside is T3 versus T4 but with that 2+ save and 2+ LoS you should be okay, and you lose fearless and Preferred Enemies CSM for stubborn. I ran a list using a Mastery Level 2 Librarian for a Lascannon Dev Squad (love this unit BTW, played against a guard unit and it basically dropped a tank per turn) and after thinking about it I will probably swap him for Coteaz for the reasons I mentioned above

Edit: As I posted another Drawback is people will probably think you a dick for Allying in an Inquisitor(especially with no offical print version out), so you may lose sportsmanship/comp points

a base inquisitor for cheaper

Technically, this is true.  Realistically, a librarian only costs a few points more, and you get a heck of a lot for the points.  As your opponent, I would be happier if you took an inquisitor instead of a librarian.

Technically, this is true. Realistically, a librarian only costs a few points more, and you get a heck of a lot for the points. As your opponent, I would be happier if you took an inquisitor instead of a librarian.

Not if his servo-skulls killed your ravenwings scout move or his rad nades let his terms insta-gib your your nob bikers.

I'm interested in trying one in a DW list. Replacing my Lib. Being able to scout a LRC with DWKs seems pretty interesting. With the possiblility of a Turn 1 charge if you go second. Brain mines having a 50% chance of locking down a cc monster like gazgul.

All in all it's a trade off. Losing T4, S4, psi-hood and fearless, but gaining a treasure trove of utility might just be worth it.

Edit: As I posted another Drawback is people will probably think you a dick for Allying in an Inquisitor(especially with no offical print version out), so you may lose sportsmanship/comp points

Why? It's an official codex no matter what its format.

It certainly isn't a gamers fault for taking allies from an approved source.

Cheers

I

Technically, this is true. Realistically, a librarian only costs a few points more, and you get a heck of a lot for the points. As your opponent, I would be happier if you took an inquisitor instead of a librarian.

Not if his servo-skulls killed your ravenwings scout move or his rad nades let his terms insta-gib your your nob bikers.

I'm interested in trying one in a DW list. Replacing my Lib. Being able to scout a LRC with DWKs seems pretty interesting. With the possiblility of a Turn 1 charge if you go second. Brain mines having a 50% chance of locking down a cc monster like gazgul.

All in all it's a trade off. Losing T4, S4, psi-hood and fearless, but gaining a treasure trove of utility might just be worth it.

He's not talking about taking skulls and nades, though, he's talking about taking a prescience provider who's cheaper than a librarian.  He's advocating a straight trade of a naked libby for a naked inquisitor with a psycher level.  So he's giving up S/T4 (really, the T is what matters) PH (meh, not critical), 3+ save, and fearless, for..a couple points?  Yeah, it's cheaper, but you get a lot less for a few points less, not worth it at all!

As for the grenades, those are easily available on ravenwing, who are much harder to deal with and have an easier time getting into just the right spot to use the grenades effectively. 

The skulls do have potential to cause ravenwing problems, of course, but I don't play RW, lol

I was not saying that there are no interesting things you can do by taking an inquisitor, I was saying that the "cheaper prescience provider" idea is a bad one.

I like your idea about scouting a LRC...if only I could scout my bike libby...I'd scout all three of my "starting models" in 2000 point games...that would be disgusting, even nastier than my current 2k list (sandwiching a vindie in between the two crusaders)

@march10k, you are right, if you want prescience for a Squad chances are there is some other buff that could be provided in addition to prescience that the squad would benefit from, fearless is good, I almost would prefer stubborn because it cannot be removed with terrify. and yeah once you start getting into skulls and grenades then you lose the price advantage.   However your comment about the 3+ save I like because that tilts the advantage back to inquisition when you talk about ML2 psykers and Coteaz for the same reason, perhaps even more so because there aren't any AP2 Templates with Torrent.

Of course the other option is to take both, a Inquisitor(Or Coteaz)+a Librarian(ML1 or 2) and double your chances at getting some key powers.  In my most recent game my Libby with my Devs pretty much won me the game because he had perfect timing + prescience, ignores cover on a heavy hitting unit and another buff in the efficiency of the unit is devastating (pun intended) ask any Tau player with a Buff Commander.  Now having 2 rolls for perfect timing is good, but 3 or 4 is better. If you have 2 Elements pretty close a double prescience wouldn't be terrible, same for passing out 4+ invulnerable saves to multiple units.

Which path a person would take should ultimately boil down to what other wargear they want, if you want/need skulls, Inquisitor is the way to go, if you need Fearless/Power Field go with a Libby.  In general though if all you are Looking for is a psyker I would recommend that the Inquisition be considered

Gah

Personally if wrote the Ally matrix it would be closer to the inquisition one, All Imperials are Battle Brothers, allies of convenience with Tau/Eldar. In general I feel GW was a little to generous with the Tau and Eldar battle brother status

My take on that is that the status of Tau as Battle Brothers of both SMs and Eldar reflects their willingness to work with others and tactical flexibility, rather than just their attitude towards others. Its explicitly mentioned that the Tau have superior command and control, and a history of incorporating new allies into their tactics. So just on their attitude towards each other, they'd be Allies of Convenience but those attributes (combined with similar adaptability by Codex adherent SM chapters and the Eldar) bump the effectiveness of that relationship up to Battle Brother.

It's not a perfect explanation, but I find it is a satisfactory one to be able to accept the situation and move on.

Well Aegnor, your explanation as a flaw : even if Tau want to work with SM, you forgot the reciprocity : SM don't want to. The worst here is you can have an ordo xenos inquisiteur joining a fire warriors squad.. :blink:

The only reason is purely commercial : Like March10k said, eldar and Tau are seen as the "other good guys with big weapons", so making them battle brothers with SM ensures that the young fan boy can easily jump from SM to an other army...

Short term reflexion as always...

As I said, it isn't perfect, but is the best in-universe fig leaf I can come up with to justify it. :)

And even if I was a xenophobic Space Marine, if I was confronted by the Tau at the same time as virtually any other faction in the game, I'd think I'd be willing to work together in the short term. They just aren't threatening like the Nids, Chaos or a big Waaaugh.

And even if I was a xenophobic Space Marine, if I was confronted by the Tau at the same time as virtually any other faction in the game, I'd think I'd be willing to work together in the short term. They just aren't threatening like the Nids, Chaos or a big Waaaugh.

What you describe here is an alliance for convenience dictated by circumstances...

So it's easy to consider Tau or eldar "allies of convenience" in this situation

Gah

Here's the thing that I don't understand..... Tau and SM are Battle Brothers, and yet the new Tau Firebase dataslate gives the Tau models Preferred Enemy: Space Marines and an SM opponent Hatred: Tau Firebase Support Cadre..... errr..... wallbash.gif

Here's the thing that I don't understand..... Tau and SM are Battle Brothers, and yet the new Tau Firebase dataslate gives the Tau models Preferred Enemy: Space Marines and an SM opponent Hatred: Tau Firebase Support Cadre..... errr..... wallbash.gif

Hence: "the enemy of my enemy is my frenemy" teehee.gif

You take inqui with 3 servo-skulls.

You take 3 henchman warbands consist of 3 acolytes.

You spend 70 points and have 4 units on the board and you have ss for precision deep strike.

You take Deathwing on the remaining points.

You DWA 4 terminator units + Belial precisely on turn 1 onto enemy head.

You are happy.

You take inqui with 3 servo-skulls.

You take 3 henchman warbands consist of 3 acolytes.

You spend 70 points and have 4 units on the board and you have ss for precision deep strike.

You take Deathwing on the remaining points.

You DWA 4 terminator units + Belial precisely with less scatter  on turn 1 onto enemy head while hoping like hell that you don't scatter onto the enemy's head.

You are happy.

You roll kill points.  You are unhappy.

The enemy gets first turn and kills your skulls.  You are unhappy.

It is a pretty cool idea for cheaply unlocking mass-DWA, though.

Archived