Rules query - DropPod Mishap

Gondow

Greetings Brothers.

I have had another game an more weird stuff!

A drop pod lands partially on terrain and partially off table.

Will it roll on mishap table OR use the Inert guiding system?

Deepstrike rules on p36, drop pod rules i any marine codex.
As per usual I want page references and all that jazz.

wolf_pack is correct, the guidance systems only kick in if you would scatter on impassable terrain or models. However, the case where a drop pod after scattering e.g. partially covers an enemy model and clips the table edge at the same time is sadly not ruled. The tournaments I've been to almost always ruled that if I clip the table edge, I mishap before the guidance systems kick in, but that's the call of the organizer.

wolf_pack is correct, the guidance systems only kick in if you would scatter on impassable terrain or models. However, the case where a drop pod after scattering e.g. partially covers an enemy model and clips the table edge at the same time is sadly not ruled. The tournaments I've been to almost always ruled that if I clip the table edge, I mishap before the guidance systems kick in, but that's the call of the organizer.

That's odd.  I would automatically assume that since the DP clips a model and table edge then the IGS WOULD kick in to avoid the obstacle.

But at the same time, if the DP couldn't land fully on the table to begin with, regardless of clipping a model, I guess that makes sense for it to mishap.

Inertia triggers once the final scatter is placed, because it is at that very moment that you can see if the inertia system needs to kick in or not.

Well, like I said, it's not defined in the BRB, so there's no "correct" answer :) But people usually play it that you mishap before inertial guidance triggers, but that's just their personal opinion.

Inertia triggers once the final scatter is placed, because it is at that very moment that you can see if the inertia system needs to kick in or not.

I dont think youre right there, WP.

You place the pod where you want it to land, then roll for scatter.

Then you move the pod 2D6 in the direction of scatter, stopping if this would cause you to come within 1" of another model. This could stop you from going off board, however there needs to be intervening models/impassible terrain between the initial drop point at the board edge.

The board edge itself does not effect IGS.

First off, it can't land on a model/terrain/slightly off the board and you have to place the model on the board and not within one inch of another model/unit/terrain. Then you roll for scatter and it moves, stopping before it hits terrain (C:BA, Page 32), which is one inch away (somewhere in the rulebook as we know you can't get into base to base unless you charge).

From the Blood Angels FAQ

Q: If a Drop Pod scatters off of the board when deep striking what happens? (p32)

A: They will have to roll on the Deep Strike Mishap table

Which is self explanatory if it clips the board edge. Touching the board edge rules can also been seen in the fleeing section of the BRB.

Other than that, I would agree with Xenith's post above mine in that if it scattered 9", the board edge was 7" away and a model/unit/terrain was 3" away, then the Pod would only move 2".

I was gonna say that IGS is used to determine where exactly the drop pod is going to land. You do not roll for mishap until the drop pod or unit has actually finished scattering. If where you land is partially off the table and no impassable terraian or units are within an inch then you'll mishap, otherwise you have to reduce your scatter until the drop pod can actually be placed following both it's own rules and the rules for deep striking. At that exact moment the edge of the board as well as any special rules that could cause a mishap will then activate as the unit has now finished scattering and now checks to see whether or not it will land.

First off, it can't land on a model/terrain/slightly off the board and you have to place the model on the board and not within one inch of another model/unit/terrain. Then you roll for scatter and it moves, stopping before it hits terrain (C:BA, Page 32), which is one inch away (somewhere in the rulebook as we know you can't get into base to base unless you charge).

From the Blood Angels FAQ

Q: If a Drop Pod scatters off of the board when deep striking what happens? (p32)

A: They will have to roll on the Deep Strike Mishap table

Which is self explanatory if it clips the board edge. Touching the board edge rules can also been seen in the fleeing section of the BRB.

Other than that, I would agree with Xenith's post above mine in that if it scattered 9", the board edge was 7" away and a model/unit/terrain was 3" away, then the Pod would only move 2".

This is how I see it as well, and that is how I have played it with no issues from my opponents.  I have seem to have amazing luck with my DP's landing right where I want them, even 4" from the table edge.  My luck will run out one day...

At the same time, I play that if your scatter say is a full 12", table edge 7" and an intervening model 3" away, then you would do your full scatter off the table since it wouldn't be hitting the model after the full scatter anyways.

At the same time, I play that if your scatter say is a full 12", table edge 7" and an intervening model 3" away, then you would do your full scatter off the table since it wouldn't be hitting the model after the full scatter anyways.

I believe I stand corrected and that this is the correct way to do it.

You only adjust the scatter distance if the scatter distance rolled would cause you to land on top of models.

@ t4play,

Drop pods aren't complicated at all.  They are pretty much fool proof.  To be safe, make sure you pre-measure just over 12" from the board edge and you're gravy.  I've been using 3-6 pods in my last 20+ games, and 9 times out of 10, they go pretty much where you want it because of the guidance system.  Once you've played with them a few times you learn how to place them to benefit a poor scatter result.  I have yet to have an argument about drop pods with an opponent as well.

It's only when you start getting ballsy with them placing them 3" from a table edge that can really ruin your chances of a successful drop.  I still do it because it's awesome when it works, and the look on your opponents face is even better.

They are cheaper than rhino's, and have better AV

Archived