Fire Raptor Gunship - Forge World

Barnie25

I was looking through the Forgeworld units and came a cross a flyer that we had access to, the Fire Raptor Gunship.

Seems quite decent and is with 220 points around the same as the Storm Raven but has some nasty guns on it:

- Avenger Bolt Cannon '36 S6 AP3 Heavy 7

- 2  Quad Heavy Bolters  '36 S5 AP4 Heavy 6 Twin-Linked

- 4 Hellstrike Missles

The bolters can be upgraded to a Reaper Battery which is '36 S7 AP4 Heavy 4 Twin-Linked

This might be what we were looking for as far as a the need for flyers goes.

Does anyone have experience with this model as it is rather new or thoughts on the playability of it?

As you point out, this might fill the DA niches pretty well:

1 - Anti-flyer -- With Reaper Battery, that is a lot of highly accurate S6/7/8 shots that can attacks enemy flyers with no penalites... might even bring down a Heldrake or enemy Stormraven if your are lucky.

2 - Close Air Support -- Lots of Dakka against ground targets, either infantry or medium-light vehicles.

I think it might be an especially good supplement to either pure DW or pure RW armies, who could really benefit from this kind of firepower.

It needs better guns.

The reaper battery is only for 30K legion armies or CSM.

The DA option is for twin-linked autocannons which is 48" S7 Heavy 2 I think.

The bolt cannon is nice at Heavy 7 but you still need to roll 6's to glance AV 12 and it competes for close air support duties with the heavy bolters.

The hellstrike missles are the best weapon it has but they are one use only, S8, there are 4, and you will probably fire the maximum of two per turn to try to kill something fast.

It does have four hull points though but I think that a storm raven being able to take multi-meltas and lascannons will wipe you out reasonably easily which is a pity because I like the model, it just needs something more to push it over the edge into OP territory. 

Archived